Quick Take: Iowa Basketball Predicted Record

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
This is a super super quick and dirty look at Iowa's men's basketball schedule to arrive at a record projection...I will offer up my 'on the record' prediction before the season begins:

Out of Conference: 11-2
Big Ten Record: 8-10
Overall: 19-12

That will be good enough for a post season of some kind..not sure if it will be good enough for the NIT though.

Wow. Jon I came up with the same exact numbers on a quick glance. Would you take that record right now if you had the chance?

So did I actually! 19-12, right on the money, with the same OOC and Conf records, too.

And to answer Smarthawk, for this year, I'd definitely take that. Considering where we've been recently. It would be a nice step forward.

I had 11-2 and 6-12, 17-14. I could see 8-10 if nobody gets hurt, but somebody always gets hurt.

I don't see losing any of the pre-season games. ISU will be a win, but a tough one on the road. UNI cake. All the other teams are cake.

18-20 wins, Iowa has 5 players with starting experience, 4 are seniors, they have had a deason to flush lick from their system, have better depth and they will win more than 3-4 in conference, as they beat purdue at the end of the season and Indiana twice, isee a very doable 8-9 win conference and a 11-2 non-conference

Last edited:
Easy fellas....

Baby steps. I think 16 wins is pretty realistic. Anything above that would be surprising to me

Sorry, I'm as much for a good season as the next guy, but when I look at the schedule, I see seven straight losses to open the conference season before I see 19-12 overall. Did I miss us signing a playmaker this offseason?

Sorry, I'm as much for a good season as the next guy, but when I look at the schedule, I see seven straight losses to open the conference season before I see 19-12 overall. Did I miss us signing a playmaker this offseason?

7 straight losses could very well happen in that stretch, doesn't mean the team won't get 19 wins.

This team is better than last year's... and last year's team did knock off Purdue. Not saying they are going out and beating the world, but just saying they very well could lose those games, but a higher win total should be coming.

Give me a season of over .500 ball and I will take it. Iowa will still have a lot of experience back for the next season with the added depth and the low defections. Add in a good recruiting class and we have the start of the 18 to 22 wins, but this season, just give me .500, very, very possible, but the injury bug can strike at any time. Look at when Gatens got hurt last year and how it affected the early games and when he came back.