QB Regression

But what Flaherty sees all the time—and what drives him mad—are young quarterbacks training exactly like their linebacker and tight end friends. While your workouts should be similar those of your teammates, certain small (but important) details can make or break your performance. Here are the six things on Flaherty's must-do list for elite QBs.

"As a rotational, overhead athlete, you have to take care of your body in some unique ways," says Ryan Flaherty, senior director of performance at Nike and off-season strength coach to Russell Wilson, Carson Palmer, Marcus Mariota and other top NFL QBs. "You can't train like everybody else."

1. Do Extra Shoulder Work
2. Avoid the Bench Press
3. Avoid Olympic Lifts
4. Build Complete Hip Strength
5. Make Single-Leg Training a Priority
6. Improve Your First-Step Quickness

https://www.stack.com/a/quarterback-guru-ryan-flahertys-workout-secrets

If only we had a S&C coach worth a shit.... I wonder if he knows how to do google searches?

JFC, this again?
Should we talk about how Nate has made huge strides this year? How our offense is just lighting it up? I'm sure you are one of the KF, BF, Stanley boot lickers that predicted Nate would get the record, be the greatest qb in Iowa history, and BF would have the offense running like a well oiled machine this year. How's that working out for you?

Should we talk about how Nate has made huge strides this year? How our offense is just lighting it up? I'm sure you are one of the KF, BF, Stanley boot lickers that predicted Nate would get the record, be the greatest qb in Iowa history, and BF would have the offense running like a well oiled machine this year. How's that working out for you?

I thought he would get the record, doesn't mean he is the greatest QB in Iowa history. I certainly thought the offense would be better this year than it has been.

How is it working out for me? Just fine. I predicted that Iowa would be 6-2 at this juncture (Thought they would lose to ISU, but beat Penn St. though). Iowa still has its goal of winning the West in front of it. I unlike you really want Iowa to beat Wisconsin and win the west. The other difference between you and I is if Iowa does get beaten by Wisconsin I won't be acting like a petulant child about it.

I thought he would get the record, doesn't mean he is the greatest QB in Iowa history. I certainly thought the offense would be better this year than it has been.

How is it working out for me? Just fine. I predicted that Iowa would be 6-2 at this juncture (Thought they would lose to ISU, but beat Penn St. though). Iowa still has its goal of winning the West in front of it. I unlike you really want Iowa to beat Wisconsin and win the west. The other difference between you and I is if Iowa does get beaten by Wisconsin I won't be acting like a petulant child about it.

Exactly. Nate has actually been pretty darn solid this year. For getting sacked more than he has previously and losing his top three targets from last year, he's had an uptick in completion percentage and yards per attempt. As was mentioned previously, he's leading the conference in yards passing too. Take a moment and think about that. An Iowa quarterback is leading the Big Ten in passing yards.

Exactly. Nate has actually been pretty darn solid this year. For getting sacked more than he has previously and losing his top three targets from last year, he's had an uptick in completion percentage and yards per attempt. As was mentioned previously, he's leading the conference in yards passing too. Take a moment and think about that. An Iowa quarterback is leading the Big Ten in passing yards.

Yep, and the thing is this team is sitting right where it was always realistically going to be. I mean when you looked at the schedule most people had 2 losses figured at this point in the seasons. Yet you got people whining, crying, bitching and moaning like this is a 2-6 team or something and the season is over. Simply amazing really.

But what Flaherty sees all the time—and what drives him mad—are young quarterbacks training exactly like their linebacker and tight end friends. While your workouts should be similar those of your teammates, certain small (but important) details can make or break your performance. Here are the six things on Flaherty's must-do list for elite QBs.

"As a rotational, overhead athlete, you have to take care of your body in some unique ways," says Ryan Flaherty, senior director of performance at Nike and off-season strength coach to Russell Wilson, Carson Palmer, Marcus Mariota and other top NFL QBs. "You can't train like everybody else."

2. Avoid the Bench Press
3. Avoid Olympic Lifts

Now you have to prove that Stanley was training like other position players. The coaches and trainers are very specific with certain players diets, calorie intake and training to have each individual player manufacture into a body type they want. I.E Not all players are going to have the caloric intake as the linemen and may even be specific linemen. Whatever the coaches want. I'm sure the training regimen is pretty specified as well for certain players.

2. Avoid the Bench Press
3. Avoid Olympic Lifts

And Mariota got benched a couple games back.

Now you have to prove that Stanley was training like other position players. The coaches and trainers are very specific with certain players diets, calorie intake and training to have each individual player manufacture into a body type they want. I.E Not all players are going to have the caloric intake as the linemen and may even be specific linemen. Whatever the coaches want. I'm sure the training regimen is pretty specified as well for certain players.

Being familiar with the training program from when I was in undergrad and having worked out in the same room as Vandenberg a number of times in the offseason, there is a lot that's shared, but a lot that's different. Squats, hip mobility, core strength, and that sort of thing were shared. But he also did a ton of shoulder work akin to what the baseball players do.

I can also say that specific workout plans are made for every athlete in the building. Doesn't matter if you're a first year walk-on or 5th year senior starter, you have a specific plan that takes into account your strengths, weaknesses, position groups, prior injuries, previous workout performances, heart rate monitor data, and occasionally even down to whether you got shitfaced last weekend or not. And that was years ago. Any time there was new data out on better training methods, you'd better believe they were implemented. So every month of every year was trying to improve on the previous. I can only imagine what they're doing these days w/ access to all these modern wearable sensors/sleep trackers and everything.

Stanley is a product of his environment. Im thinking regression is the wrong term. Stagnation with a worse O line causing accuracy issues. And sack issues.
I think we would have seen the same thig in Ruddock had he not transferred. Transferring probably got Ruddock tot he pros.
The constant turnover of talented groups is the problem Every year we see one position group flourish while another languishes. Happens every year. This year the O line is average and the WRs are good. But that doesnt help Stanley. He is not mobile enough to make a play. And therefore, he hasnt shown signs of improvement.

It's a concern. The NFL trainer makes it sound like a lot of college teams get it wrong. It's pretty well known that Stanley broke the max record for bench press and dead lift this summer. Why even have a max record for QBs in bench press and dead lift. Also, it's probably not without controversy but if it is correct Stanley's strengths and weaknesses fit the profile of what you would expect. Again, I think Stanley is a very talented QB.

Yeah that is pretty amazing. It doesn't happen often.

Being familiar with the training program from when I was in undergrad and having worked out in the same room as Vandenberg a number of times in the offseason, there is a lot that's shared, but a lot that's different. Squats, hip mobility, core strength, and that sort of thing were shared. But he also did a ton of shoulder work akin to what the baseball players do.

I can also say that specific workout plans are made for every athlete in the building. Doesn't matter if you're a first year walk-on or 5th year senior starter, you have a specific plan that takes into account your strengths, weaknesses, position groups, prior injuries, previous workout performances, heart rate monitor data, and occasionally even down to whether you got shitfaced last weekend or not. And that was years ago. Any time there was new data out on better training methods, you'd better believe they were implemented. So every month of every year was trying to improve on the previous. I can only imagine what they're doing these days w/ access to all these modern wearable sensors/sleep trackers and everything.

Yea, I had the chance to tour the football training facility after it was new years ago and it's amazing what goes into the training of the athletes with each specific tailored training and all the data points. There is a ton that goes into it.

Yea, I had the chance to tour the football training facility after it was new years ago and it's amazing what goes into the training of the athletes with each specific tailored training and all the data points. There is a ton that goes into it.

Yeah, it's worth clarifying that the new football complex was still a parking lot when I was there and a number of our running/plyometric workouts occurred in the bubble.

Lol. Yea, Stanley would be soooooo much better if he played without lifting all those weights and had skinnier arms!!

This makes me think back to my HS days. I don't know if others heard the same thing I did during basketball season, but I swear either players or a coach said we shouldn't lift weights during b-ball season because it would screw our shot up. Was this a thing or just me?
not just you. I Definitely heard that from HS b-ball coach. Time and time again.

Yeah that is pretty amazing. It doesn't happen often.
I'm assuming this is rhetorical.

The KF offense is not exactly appealing to playmakers w/ options.

When over 90% of teams rarely huddle yet score tons of points and our QB coach in an interview says the distinguishing factor in a QB competition is getting people in and out of the huddle, that says it all. Don’t worry about making plays and moving the offense and out scoring teams, handling the huddle is much more important.

So I'm reading it's maybe more of an overall offense regression versus a QB regression.
I'd buy that. But it still begs the same question....why?

Bad luck, missing pieces, sense of urgency....

Interior OL mostly "new", loss of 2 first-round TEs. Yeah, I can't really put my finger on it, either...:)

Stanley is a product of his environment. Im thinking regression is the wrong term. Stagnation with a worse O line causing accuracy issues. And sack issues.
I think we would have seen the same thig in Ruddock had he not transferred. Transferring probably got Ruddock tot he pros.
The constant turnover of talented groups is the problem Every year we see one position group flourish while another languishes. Happens every year. This year the O line is average and the WRs are good. But that doesnt help Stanley. He is not mobile enough to make a play. And therefore, he hasnt shown signs of improvement.

The biggest thing transferring did for Rudock: no Spring ball, all Spring to rest/recuperate his knee.

giphy.gif

When over 90% of teams rarely huddle yet score tons of points and our QB coach in an interview says the distinguishing factor in a QB competition is getting people in and out of the huddle, that says it all. Don’t worry about making plays and moving the offense and out scoring teams, handling the huddle is much more important.

I'm pretty certain if you don't take this too literally, he's using a metaphor meaning to "properly manage the game".

Latest posts