QB Regression

2 QB's from 20+ years ago....nailed it. My point still stands. QB's typically "regress" the more tape you get on them. Are they regressing or are D's finally catching up? I remember this off season when the site was swooning over Adrian Martinez too. Looks like there is more tape on the kid this go around. Seriously, Vick, RG3, Scam, Vince Young... the NFL is ALL about running QB's and the RPO right now and that will shift again once D's learn their tendencies and see it more often.

Lamar Jackson is better this year than last. Still early in his career though.

Lamar Jackson is better this year than last. Still early in his career though.
He's a good one.... but the jury is still out. If I were more of a gambler, I'd bet almost ANYTHING that he "regresses" next season. I've just watched it so many times.

Maybe it should be when was the last time we had a Senior QB led team contend for a big10 championship

This year, bud. We only need MN to gag against PSU or Wisconsin and then we control our own destiny. If we had Minnesota's schedule, we'd all be singing Nate's praises and planning trips to Indy right now.

I'm actually surprised it took until after eight games for this topic to pop up.

You people are slipping.

I am shocked no OT thread by folks about the flashers during the World Series game. Evidently those lovely ladies have been banned from any future baseball games.

Stanley leads the B1G in passing yards and has a 10-5 TD to int ratio - Iowa also has a better record at this point in the West division then it has had the past 3 seasons. How is this regressing?

oh and could it be that the more defenses see a QB the easier it is to game plan against them? Seriously.... name me a running QB in the NFL that didn't regress after their breakout season? Is that because they suddenly forgot how to run or D's adjusted?
Kenny Stabler and Joe Namath were converted option Quarterbacks

He's a good one.... but the jury is still out. If I were more of a gambler, I'd bet almost ANYTHING that he "regresses" next season. I've just watched it so many times.
. Mahomes and Russell Wilson take off and run all the time . I consider them running QB’s

. Mahomes and Russell Wilson take off and run all the time . I consider them running QB’s

The thing is in the NFL the guys on defense are all the best (biggest, fastest, etc) so a pure running QB is not gonna last a long time in the NFL. They will get hurt eventually as Mahomes just had the issue on the sneak. There won't be any running QB that is playing when they are anywhere close to Brady's age.

When has it happened? Banks had a great Sr. season, Tate was injured his Sr. season, Stanzi had his best year be far his Sr. season. JVB had Greg davis come in, CJB got drafted in the 3rd round, and the jury it out on Stanley.

Oh yeah, but the Sr QB's missed more reads those years, LOL.

You can't include Banks in this. krist! He only had one damn year. He was a transfer and maybe had a redshirt year but only played his one year.

To me, it's clear the coaches pull the reigns back on Iowa QB's. Manage the game, get the ball into playmakers hands and don't make mistakes. To me, the QB's end up playing too tight.

You can't include Banks in this. krist! He only had one damn year. He was a transfer and maybe had a redshirt year but only played his one year.

To me, it's clear the coaches pull the reigns back on Iowa QB's. Manage the game, get the ball into playmakers hands and don't make mistakes. To me, the QB's end up playing too tight.

I agree with this. But I wonder why? Its not like KF will put in another QB. He rarely does in blow outs.

The QBs mentioned by the Poster you qouted were all gunslingers that went off script. Those are the truly great Iowa QBs. The guys with attitudes and the will to go on their own to create a play. We need more QBs like that in this program. They make the offense better.

Why can’t I include Banks? He wasn’t good enough to win the starting spot as a Jr, and really improved to his Sr year.

How is it clear that QB’s play too tight? Stanzi was so much better his Sr year, it isn’t even close. Tate was hurt, how could you tell anything from that year? CJB didn’t have anyone to throw to his SR year.

Why can’t I include Banks? He wasn’t good enough to win the starting spot as a Jr, and really improved to his Sr year.

How is it clear that QB’s play too tight? Stanzi was so much better his Sr year, it isn’t even close. Tate was hurt, how could you tell anything from that year? CJB didn’t have anyone to throw to his SR year.

Dude, you are lost. How old are you anyway? Serious question as you may have been too young to know back then. Banks was a f'ing transfer from like Central Florida or something. Ferentz was in the infancy of his head coaching tenure at Iowa. You were either very young back then or are just thick skulled.

This year, bud. We only need MN to gag against PSU or Wisconsin and then we control our own destiny. If we had Minnesota's schedule, we'd all be singing Nate's praises and planning trips to Indy right now.
If we had Minnesota's schedule we would have dropped SDSU, Illinois, and Rutgers, and then blown Wisconsin and Penn State out by 30 each.

I agree with this. But I wonder why? Its not like KF will put in another QB. He rarely does in blow outs.

The QBs mentioned by the Poster you qouted were all gunslingers that went off script. Those are the truly great Iowa QBs. The guys with attitudes and the will to go on their own to create a play. We need more QBs like that in this program. They make the offense better.

The above bold describes Stanzi in a nutshell. I remember one specific situation right before a half where they tried to have Stanzi run the clock out or something and he went rogue and tried to make a play downfield or something. KOK and Ferentz pulled him out and was a learning experience for him. He had the Moxi though and his teammates responded to him.

He might be one of the few Iowa QB's in the Ferentz era that truly had that "It" factor. The guy was clutch.

I think that was the 2008 Pitt game. Both QBs played in the first half, but Stanzi had the most success. Then there was the issue prior to the first half ending and KF benched Stanzi the entire 2nd half.

We end up losing a close game (which is Kirk's speciality) on a Paki Bomb trying to make a cut for extra yards where had he just fallen forward he would have gotten the first down.

I recall that there was a lot of tension between KOK and KF after that game, as KOK was a Stanzi guy.

That 2008 team losing four games was criminal. The talent on that team.....

Dude, you are lost. How old are you anyway? Serious question as you may have been too young to know back then. Banks was a f'ing transfer from like Central Florida or something. Ferentz was in the infancy of his head coaching tenure at Iowa. You were either very young back then or are just thick skulled.

I know all about Banks. Fine, leave him off the list.

Who exactly "regressed" at QB as a Sr? Lets take a look:Drew Tate was hurt his Sr. year, so there is no way to say he "regressed" because of coaching.

Ricky Stanzi......Now this is the popular one that some love to reference. Yet the only data those who say he "regressed" is that he was "more of a gunslinger" his Jr. year, that all he did was "check down" his Sr. year. This is simply a fantasy by some. Stanzi was vastly superior in every one of his stats his Sr. year because he was a vastly superior QB his Sr. year. His % completion went up 8% over his Jr. year. He threw for 600 more yards, had 8 more TD's had 7 fewer INT's. I mean it isn't even close. Not only all of that, but his yard per attempt was higher is Sr. year as well. To try to make the claim that Ricky was better his Jr. year is the biggest stretch ever.

So we have determined that Banks (if he were on the list), Tate, and Stanzi none of them "regressed" as Sr. QB's. You can make the cast that JVB did, but I think we know that was more about moving onto Greg Davis' offense, but I'll give that one as a "regression". CJB had nobody to throw to his Sr. year, and he ended up being a 3rd rd draft pick, so the NFL certainly didn't think he "regressed".

So basically over 20 years of KF you have 1 single QB who "regressed" his Sr. year, and much of that can be attributed to moving to an all new passing game under Greg Davis.

Stanley has not regressed. He is our best player on offense. When given time, he delivers pretty pass after pretty pass. When our Oline leaks like a sieve he's pedestrian and that's the case with every QB in the country. If you don't have time, you won't play well. Stanley is our biggest play maker, leads the league in yards and I imagine, he's still going to have a game where he throws 4-5 TD's and his TD #'s will get closer to what you'd expect.

Latest posts