"probably a qb controversy in iowa city now"

That didn't really happen? If it did, Ferentz is such a tool. CJB comes in and rallies for the come from behind win over Pitt on KF's home turf, where he wants to win more than anywhere else in the world, and he slaps him with a backhanded complement like that? Probably the biggest d*ck thing I've heard come from KF's mouth.

KF is the King of "Seeing how a kid does in practice tells you more about how he'll play in a game, than actually watching the kid play in the game."

PH, I heard it myself. There are some other poster's who've said they heard it also. It was an interesting exchange, so say the least. KF may have some problems living it down. Now, like I said, after Eddie P. spoke up, KF did go into the "we're happy with both guys and certainly CJ....blah, blah, blah. But KF was done answering the question until Eddie P. spoke up.

No one (or pretty much no one) thinks otherwise. They don't question his desire to put the best players on the field, they question his ability to.

While there is some truth there, I also believe there is much more that goes on when deciding who gets playing time. Let's see what happens.

PH, I heard it myself. There are some other poster's who've said they heard it also. It was an interesting exchange, so say the least. KF may have some problems living it down. Now, like I said, after Eddie P. spoke up, KF did go into the "we're happy with both guys and certainly CJ....blah, blah, blah. But KF was done answering the question until Eddie P. spoke up.

Kirk will have no trouble living it down. The thing I like the best about him is he doesn't let outside voices determine what he does. If a coach did that, can you imagine what folks like us would do?

it's silly to think otherwise - think how much investment these coaches and players have in the program. they want to win more than any message board fan -

No one has ever thought coaches weren't trying to play the best players.

It's his criteria of what is best that's in question.

It's Banks v McCan , Christiansen v Stanzi all over again.

And Cj doesn't appear to be any where near as risky as a young Banks or Stanzi.

While there is some truth there, I also believe there is much more that goes on when deciding who gets playing time. Let's see what happens.

I agree. Deciding who the best players are is a tough thing to do. Some coaches are better then it then others. Unfortunately Kirk is about as good at that is he is at game day coaching... and post game interviews apparently.

I heard it as well, and the tone of KF's comment was even worse than just the words. Of course he gave CJ a halfhearted compliment after he made the statement about the practice performance. I'm glad Eddie P. challenged him on it, it was completely out of line for KF to make the statement, I hope he regrets it and apologizes to CJ for making it. After all, if character matters, let's see it displayed by the HC.

No one has ever thought coaches weren't trying to play the best players.

It's his criteria of what is best that's in question.

It's Banks v McCan , Christiansen v Stanzi all over again.

And Cj doesn't appear to be any where near as risky as a young Banks or Stanzi.

Do not forget Sokol! He just threw 5 TD's a short while ago. KF picked the QB with the least upside of the 3. Chew on that for a while.

Jake is not horrible but has limitations in terms of arm strength and deep ball accuracy.

I agree. Deciding who the best players are is a tough thing to do. Some coaches are better then it then others. Unfortunately Kirk is about as good at that is he is at game day coaching... and post game interviews apparently.

Meh. I don't mind Kirk coming out swinging a little in the post game interviews. He also mentioned getting criticized for not being intense enough in the interview with Dolph and Eddie. Most people say his interviews are boring. Now, he adds some spice, and they don't like that either.

To be fair to JR: The pass to Powell was on the money and should have been 6 points. That being said, CJ has performed better in games this year than Jake has. What else is there that coaches need to see?

If CJ doesn't get any snaps against Purdue does he transfer so he can play 1.5 years somewhere else?

From Dolph's post game radio interview: KF was asked about how CJ played. KF's response: "Well, I just glad he played better today than he did in practice on Thursday."

Eddie P's reply: "Coach, it tells you that what happens in practice doesn't mean it'll happen on Saturday's." KF started backpedalling and started talking about how good a kid CJ is, yadda-yadda.

Did he really say that? KF, not Eddie. Eddie I could believe. KF usually is calm and cool and doesn't throw people under the bus like that.

If that's true, he could be feeling like CJB made him look bad by not trying in practice. It absolutely needs to be addressed. They need to respect each other or even with the talent upside this isn't going to work out well...

It's a tough decision between the guy who scores on almost every possession he leads and a guy who's older with more experience. I would not want to be in Kirk's shoes for this choice. That's why he makes the big bucks.

I would love to be in his shoes. I can't make mistakes all day and still get paid like a king. It's a freaking dream.

Body language with CJ from other players for one. They caught passes better. They blocked better. They played better in the 2nd half. CJ was part of it, but not the reason the players had better body language. Geez.

I'm sure they were playing harder, that's what happens when teams have QB's who can lead them to victory. When you have a guy like Ruddock, who can't or won't make the throws needed to win, the team isn't going to get fired up to play with him. You can tell from the receivers' and backs' body language that they don't like playing with him.

I would love to be in his shoes. I can't make mistakes all day and still get paid like a king. It's a freaking dream.

But every mistake is tried in the court of public opinion, and you have half the state hating any move you make. It's hard to stay at the top, and if you fail at this job you are going to have a hard time getting back to another position at this level.

We looked like Iowa again in the second half. Suffocating drives, line opened some holes because the D had to respect the pass, hit some key passes. Nothing sexy, but we played to win and looked great.

Would agree offensive line got going, and defense really played well!!!

Latest posts