"probably a qb controversy in iowa city now"

If Beathard doesn't start next week it speaks volumes about the competence of KF.

Got to say that in his remarks about JR's injury, if JR is healthy, it looks like JR will be the starter. But CJB should get half the snaps if that happens. He might be the starter, but I think KF is going to go back to JR again.

I have nothing against Rudock...seems to be a great kid. He is not a terrible player by any stretch...but at this point it appears Beathard gives the team the best chance to win. Remember...Rudock led Iowa to only 3 points in the second half last week against a bad Iowa State defense. And only 6 points in the first 55 minutes vs Ball State. Not good. He also took a sack on third down towards the end of the first half today, despite having 2 receivers wide open.

Kirk being Kirk, I expect him to stick to his stubborn ways and start Rudock. Lucky for Kirk it is a road game....if the game were at Kinnick and he started Jake? Half the fans would storm the Iowa sideline and haul Kirk off to be tarred and feathered.

The quote was accurate. Kirk is getting Alford esque in his old age. It's like he feels obligated to defend his decisions rather than just complimenting the effort. He hates it when the fans look justified in their criticisms.

I have/had the same thoughts.

Lute did the same thing in his day.

OK....you're a multi-millionaire, retirement in hand, everything this world has to offer is at your feet.

Why be transparently negative towards one of your important players? Maybe it's the hair.

Can we all agree that the "Oh you know more than the coach" and "I'll trust what the coach does more than you" comments are about the most worthless thing you can "add" to a forum discussion? We know KF is the coach. We know we're not. That's not the point. The point is that CJ came in (for the SECOND time) and looked great. Looked several steps better than Ruddock (and I like Ruddock). Because of that, he should start next week.

Want a case in point? Clemson's freshman coming in tonight when the upperclassman QB couldn't get it done. Yes, they lost the game (wasn't his fault), but even the announcers said that Clemson has found their starter.

Can we all agree that the "Oh you know more than the coach" and "I'll trust what the coach does more than you" comments are about the most worthless thing you can "add" to a forum discussion? We know KF is the coach. We know we're not. That's not the point. The point is that CJ came in (for the SECOND time) and looked great. Looked several steps better than Ruddock (and I like Ruddock). Because of that, he should start next week.

Want a case in point? Clemson's freshman coming in tonight when the upperclassman QB couldn't get it done. Yes, they lost the game (wasn't his fault), but even the announcers said that Clemson has found their starter.

I agree, CJ has earned the right to start next week. Tale of two halves, was night and day.

With that said, 20 bucks says JR starts next week.

I have/had the same thoughts.

Lute did the same thing in his day.

OK....you're a multi-millionaire, retirement in hand, everything this world has to offer is at your feet.

Why be transparently negative towards one of your important players? Maybe it's the hair.

We've all heard the biblical story of Samson.....I hope KF doesn't do that to him......:)

Got to say that in his remarks about JR's injury, if JR is healthy, it looks like JR will be the starter. But CJB should get half the snaps if that happens. He might be the starter, but I think KF is going to go back to JR again.

The question is though, why will/would he? I agree it may play out that way, but KF also can say that until CJ makes some mistakes or starts throwing int's, that JR just needs to remain a "team" player, and await his opportunity, like CJ did.

It's a tough decision between the guy who scores on almost every possession he leads and a guy who's older with more experience. I would not want to be in Kirk's shoes for this choice. That's why he makes the big bucks.
Im an older guy for sure, probably have more experience in a few areas, I couldn't complete a pass though, does that put me in the mix

there shouldn't be. beathard just made ferentz look like a complete idiot today. sometimes the fans are right.

Thumbs up to this post!

Iowa needs to stick with Beathard. He will have some ups and downs but Iowa will be better off in the long run with him. Way bigger upside..

CJ has earned at least half the snaps going forward. No doubt.
Doesn't matter who starts as long as CJ gets his half of the snaps.
A good coach will view this as a qb competition, and not a controversy and will use it to his teams advantage going forward.
Can you imagine how much more difficult it will be for opposing teams to prepare for iowa going forward now?

Bottom line is that competition is a good thing. Since when is it not good to have 2 capable qb's?
Great "problem" to have if you ask me.

People saying CJ was better can thank Powell for catching a more difficult ball than the Rudock pass in the first half.

I would start CJ, the team was completely different with him in there, more attitude and confidence. However in Jake's defense, he only played about 10 minutes in the first half. Pitt dominated the time of possession. He did have a TD pass on fourth down, had a very nice long pass to VandeBerg, and threw a long pass that Powell should have caught but seemed to hand it off to the Panther.....

Signs of improvement in the offense scheme with both QBs. Still would start CJ though. Team seemed more inspired with him playing, and he scored the first three times he had the ball, the fourth time spent running the clock out.....

He is a brash young man.....

Last edited:
People saying CJ was better can thank Powell for catching a more difficult ball than the Rudock pass in the first half.

Not true. Powell didn't need to use 1 hand. CJ' s ball had much more air under it allowing Powell to run under it. Ruddocks ball had a much flatter trajectory and was more difficult to catch. Have you been watching games this year? Exact same situation on the throw to Willies a few games back. Should've been an easy td had willies been able to run under the throw. Instead it was more of a rope that Willies had to extend to make a great catch and therefore couldn't keep his feet under him. I can't believe people are saying crap like this. That one "drop" by Powell is not the reason CJ finally saw the field. Jake clearly has not been getting it done.

First of all there is numerous tangible proof on his poor decision making. He does not get his best 22 on the field and create competition to get results. That is FACT.

Second Ed is a freaking Iowa LEGEND and was here before KF and may be after. This was a subtle shot across Kirk's bow to get his stuff together.

<<Freaking Iowa LEGEND>>
Seriously? Great guy, nice career, but hardly a "legend".

We have seen other evidence that CJB is not consistent, doesn't always make best throws or best decisions.

Still, I would ride the hot hand, and CJB is the hot hand. You can ALWAYS go back to JR is CJB falters OR gets hurt, and vice-versa.

First of all there is numerous tangible proof on his poor decision making. He does not get his best 22 on the field and create competition to get results. That is FACT.

Second Ed is a freaking Iowa LEGEND and was here before KF and may be after. This was a subtle shot across Kirk's bow to get his stuff together.

<<That is FACT>>

Where is PROOF?

<<Freaking Iowa LEGEND>>

We have seen other evidence that CJB is not consistent, doesn't always make best throws or best decisions.

Still, I would ride the hot hand, and CJB is the hot hand. You can ALWAYS go back to JR is CJB falters OR gets hurt, and vice-versa.
Are you partially or completely?

<<Freaking Iowa LEGEND>>

You can argue that he doesn't always make the best decisions. But when a guy hits his receivers in the hands on 12 out of his 13 throws, it's hard to argue that he doesn't always make the best throws. Unless of course you are being literal with the word always.

Fans = consultants

Corps pay millions for consultants to come in, minus the political agendas and blinders on, to give more or less accurate assessments.

KF is getting thousands of free consultant hours. Quite the deal if you ask me.

Latest posts