"probably a qb controversy in iowa city now"

Bottom line is that competition is a good thing. Since when is it not good to have 2 capable qb's?
Great "problem" to have if you ask me.

Exactly what I have been saying also. If depth is good on the OL, RB or DL it should also be a good thing at QB. This is a good thing, not a problem.

Ferentz needs to stay consistent. Two years ago he played an underperforming Vandenberg every single snap of the season claiming that he gave the Hawkeyes the best chance to win. Now he has a QB in Beathard, who obviously has proven to be more proficient in moving the team and scoring points than his original choice. Nothing against Ruddock, but Beathard gives us the best chance to win games and he needs to be on the field.

Bottom line is that competition is a good thing. Since when is it not good to have 2 capable qb's?
Great "problem" to have if you ask me.

Agreed, but the "problem" needs to be addressed properly by the coaching staff and that is my primary concern. We don't need any over-coaching at this stage with either player, we just need some fine-tuning and let each player develop accordingly. For example, just like a high-school baseball player knows he made a mistake when he lets a ground ball go between his legs, you don't need to tell him what he did wrong, he already knows it.

So, for JR what does that mean? He's clearly a smart guy, I'm sure he knows what is wrong with his game at present, what he needs now is to allow himself to play with less conscious awareness of what could go wrong and let more of his football instincts take over. And for CJ, he needs more playing time so the coaching staff can see him in more live situations and develop a better understanding of the game he brings to the Hawks. So, in a sense, the coaching staff needs to allow both of them the necessary time to develop their games so that the offense grows as a whole.

Lastly, rhythm is a huge component in offensive performance so let them play a number of series before taking them out for the other - that's the way to gain effective game experience.

Agreed, but the "problem" needs to be addressed properly by the coaching staff and that is my primary concern. We don't need any over-coaching at this stage with either player, we just need some fine-tuning and let each player develop accordingly. For example, just like a high-school baseball player knows he made a mistake when he lets a ground ball go between his legs, you don't need to tell him what he did wrong, he already knows it.

So, for JR what does that mean? He's clearly a smart guy, I'm sure he knows what is wrong with his game at present, what he needs now is to allow himself to play with less conscious awareness of what could go wrong and let more of his football instincts take over. And for CJ, he needs more playing time so the coaching staff can see him in more live situations and develop a better understanding of the game he brings to the Hawks. So, in a sense, the coaching staff needs to allow both of them the necessary time to develop their games so that the offense grows as a whole.

Lastly, rhythm is a huge component in offensive performance so let them play a number of series before taking them out for the other - that's the way to gain effective game experience.

Well said DJI.

Here's a thought for Coach KF - If you have so much confidence in GD, tell him you want to put two game plans together for next Saturday against Purdue - one for CJB and one for JR. And then you ask him after he presents both, which one would he be most confident in executing successfully?

KF is a % guy and if he trusts GD, then let him make the call. But to be sure, give both plans a fair chance in the game because both quarterbacks need the work (as long as no injuries).

I don't know what GD could come up with but if he is an OC worth his money, I think that would be exactly what he would like to see from KF. Let's start thinking like we have two possibilities on offense, or at least make the defense think so, it must improve our chances, especially if it builds confidence in our entire offense.

I'll be interested to hear what KF says at his next presser....

DJI, I agree with what you said. The problem I see with it is that we are now entering the B1G conference schedule. I sure as hell wish KF had taken this approach starting with UNI and continuing through the PITT game; instead of...not. Now we either risk a conference loss if either or both qb's can't get untracked in a 2 qb approach. I say give CJ the start, at this point because he is the hot hand. Then have a week long competition during the bye week after the Purdon't game.

This is something else that has caused me to lose faith in KF. If he really does have as much confidence "in both quarterbacks" as he's stated, why on planet earth did he NOT play CJ (besides 1 possession) before PITT...regardless of the game situation. This just doesn't ring true, to me.

DJI, I agree with what you said. The problem I see with it is that we are now entering the B1G conference schedule. I sure as hell wish KF had taken this approach starting with UNI and continuing through the PITT game; instead of...not. Now we either risk a conference loss if either or both qb's can't get untracked in a 2 qb approach. I say give CJ the start, at this point because he is the hot hand. Then have a week long competition during the bye week after the Purdon't game.

This is something else that has caused me to lose faith in KF. If he really does have as much confidence "in both quarterbacks" as he's stated, why on planet earth did he NOT play CJ (besides 1 possession) before PITT...regardless of the game situation. This just doesn't ring true, to me.

I'm right there with you, I don't have much confidence in KF, there's just too much evidence (and not just this year) that displays his true nature, which is to stick with what he's comfortable with, whether it's currently effective or not.

Hopefully the players refuse to play if Kurt tries to put Ruddock back in. Beathard should be getting all the snaps, this will give Jake more time to study and it's a win/win. Hopefully Jake becomes a better doctor than he is a QB.

It would be stupid for the players to revolt, a crazy comment. The two players are very close, CJ may be more dynamic but not playing or not playing hard just hurts everyone. Now it does happen, it may have happened at Iowa in 2007.

As far as JR becoming a better doctor, I dont know if JR has thoughts that he is NFL caliber so yes he is probably banking on his medical career. If JR has asked for a good assessment of his skills I am sure he has heard he doesnt throw a fast ball.

So if KF is stubborn, what happens if JR starts and does well against a potentially poor Purdue and Indiana teams? Does CJ get another chance?

If CJ has one bad game, does JR come back in and seal the starting job the rest of the year, because that is KF's comfort zone?

I believe that CJ should start for the Purdue game and keep it through the year. I think CJ has more upside, and may only need repetition in game situations.

Win win situation for KF. He can sit JR against Purdue, give CJ the start that the fan base wants and then if the offense is clicking he can make the switch that the fan base wants and use the honest assessment that the offense is clicking with CJ under center and he's going to go with what's working. This way the fans get what they want, those that think KF only wants to win his way get what they want, and those that feel KF is to proud to make the switch get their wish.

Nothing against KF or JR in this post as I have no problem with either, but this would give us the starter many want, a game tested back up (who's also very good) and it can give the staff the opportunity to make the switch without an "I told you so" from those that aren't KF supporters.

Win win situation for KF. He can sit JR against Purdue, give CJ the start that the fan base wants and then if the offense is clicking he can make the switch that the fan base wants and use the honest assessment that the offense is clicking with CJ under center and he's going to go with what's working. This way the fans get what they want, those that think KF only wants to win his way get what they want, and those that feel KF is to proud to make the switch get their wish.

Nothing against KF or JR in this post as I have no problem with either, but this would give us the starter many want, a game tested back up (who's also very good) and it can give the staff the opportunity to make the switch without an "I told you so" from those that aren't KF supporters.

I agree, this makes good sense. The question remains, it goes against KF's tendencies so will he actually start CJ (play the hot hand) or go with the better known quantity in JR (KF's long term % play)? This will be a good indicator of how KF processes information; whichever he decides, I hope he is willing to explain his reasoning because like it or not, many people do like to know.

So if KF is stubborn, what happens if JR starts and does well against a potentially poor Purdue and Indiana teams? Does CJ get another chance?

If CJ has one bad game, does JR come back in and seal the starting job the rest of the year, because that is KF's comfort zone?

I believe that CJ should start for the Purdue game and keep it through the year. I think CJ has more upside, and may only need repetition in game situations.

I was thinking the same thing. What if CJB starts the Purdue game and (gasp) throws a pick in the first quarter... Will he get the hook and ride the pine the rest of the day?

And I agree, why not start CJB against Purdue and see how he handles the start? Although I won't be surprised if Rudock is the #1 guy against next week.

Gonna be interesting.

Last edited:
Did any one else feel like they just got kicked in nuts when that BS came out of his mouth.

only KF could screw this up

I really can't remember the last time KF owned up to any issues or problems as to how he used personnel, prepared for a game, or made in-game decisions.

It's usually just cliche junk like "That's football" or "We didn't execute."

But he does a really nice job of crying a little bit to support his players when they do have strong performances. He did it again in his post-game interview on the field at Pitt. Sensitive guy.

Fans = consultants

Corps pay millions for consultants to come in, minus the political agendas and blinders on, to give more or less accurate assessments.

KF is getting thousands of free consultant hours. Quite the deal if you ask me.

In Kirk's mind, the Iowa fans are dense and irrelevant stick people.

In Kirk's mind, the Iowa fans are dense and irrelevant stick people.

That's because the contact he has with them consists primarily of lower-IQ knob-polishers who habitually call into his show and seek him out at I club functions.

He's not getting the input of high IQ people who don't give a crap about his approval.

My sense is CJ will get the opportunity to get the first team reps while Jake's soreness gets a chance to heal. This will be CJ's chance to correct his practice issues. If he doesn't do this, he only really has himself to blame.

If he does do this and doesn't get meaningful PT in the Purdue game, he needs to start thinking about what is best for his future.

That's because the contact he has with them consists primarily of lower-IQ knob-polishers who habitually call into his show and seek him out at I club functions.

He's not getting the input of high IQ people who don't give a crap about his approval.
This is true, I haven't listened to the call in show more than a couple of times, but I don't know where these people come from that call in. I feel KF should come to HN and read our thoughts on the QB "controversy". There have been several great thoughts, and now that we have the like button, he can tell what ones are bad thoughts by the "thumbs down". He also should follow me on Twitter.

Latest posts