Possible Transfer: Cole Huff from Nevada

Exactly. Is a team as good as their best stretch, or as bad as their worst? Wisconsin is the perfect example. Da Vadgers having a terrible 20 day stretch in which they lost 5 of 6 games including jNW at home. Iowa had a terrible 19 day stretch in which they lost 6 of 7. Unfortunately Iowa didn't right the ship in the NCAA tourney game, and lost to Tennessee, whereas Wisconsin's meltdown came in Jan and they righted the ship.

Interesting numbers. Funny how comparable those losing streaks are.

Interesting numbers. Funny how comparable those losing streaks are.

The reason WI came out of their streak and IA didn't is the emergence of Frank Kaminski. He was fading from an early splash during that WI slump. He emerged as the piece of the puzzle that made WI's season. Without his strong finish, WI is a middle-of-the-pack team last year. Similarly, the difference between a good and average 2014-15 season for Iowa will be found in how well our bigs continue to improve.

Exactly. Is a team as good as their best stretch, or as bad as their worst? Wisconsin is the perfect example. Da Vadgers having a terrible 20 day stretch in which they lost 5 of 6 games including jNW at home. Iowa had a terrible 19 day stretch in which they lost 6 of 7. Unfortunately Iowa didn't right the ship in the NCAA tourney game, and lost to Tennessee, whereas Wisconsin's meltdown came in Jan and they righted the ship.

Very interesting perspective. And like with everything else in life; timing is everything.

If we land him I can not wait for this 2015 class to be on the court. Wish we could skip next season and get right to the 2015-2016 season.

What people seem to be forgetting is why Iowa fell apart. It was because opposing coaches adjusted and overcompensated to defend the transition game.

Iowa could not score effectively in the half court because of the make up of the team and once they couldn't score they gave up playing good defense. Iowa was exposed and hence not a good team last year.

What people seem to be forgetting is why Iowa fell apart. It was because opposing coaches adjusted and overcompensated to defend the transition game.

Iowa could not score effectively in the half court because of the make up of the team and once they couldn't score they gave up playing good defense. Iowa was exposed and hence not a good team last year.

I don't disagree. But I believe that was due to guard play not being laterally quick enough to defend on D or get by their defend on O, and then post defense. I don't think our post offense was a problem; if our guards could get them the ball. RDM, while able to get by his man, typically was looking for his shot (most likely due to time clock running out.)

Having said all fo that, folks on the other site are saying Huff's AAU coach is saying its down to Iowa and Creighton (he's already visited) and he visits Iowa Thurs (I think). In any event, if that is true, Iowa gets the last visit and that hopefully seals the deal with him. I'd love to have Uthoff, Uhl and Huff on the floor for one season.

I was a good thing for us that Michigan doesn't have a good coach that could make those easy adjustments that turned us into a below average team.

I was a good thing for us that Michigan doesn't have a good coach that could make those easy adjustments that turned us into a below average team.

Actually Beiline did it first.

It's pretty silly to pin an argument on one game, northwestern beat Wisconsin and Iowa that didn't mean they were good.

The thing is, Iowans offense was relegated to jump shots because the lane was clogged and we refused to dump the ball in the post.

The big difference in that michigan game was that iowa made a bunch of threes. If iowa was hitting 3s like that they could beat anybody but that was one of only a few times that happened.

I don't disagree. But I believe that was due to guard play not being laterally quick enough to defend on D or get by their defend on O, and then post defense. I don't think our post offense was a problem; if our guards could get them the ball. RDM, while able to get by his man, typically was looking for his shot (most likely due to time clock running out.)

Don't forget the fact that none of the guards were strong or explosive enough either to finish at the hoop on the rare occasion they were able to penetrate in the half-court. Think about how many times Iowa guards settled for jump-hook type lay-ups instead of exploding to the rim. Basically Iowa goes into every game with guards who are physically weaker than their opponents.

Don't forget the fact that none of the guards were strong or explosive enough either to finish at the hoop on the rare occasion they were able to penetrate in the half-court. Think about how many times Iowa guards settled for jump-hook type lay-ups instead of exploding to the rim. Basically Iowa goes into every game with guards who are physically weaker than their opponents.

Part of finishing at the rim has to do with experience. Take Matt Gatens for example. I don't know how many time I used to wince when he would drive into the lane, you just knew he was gonna get rejected. Then all of a sudden his Sr year he started finishing those drives. Hopefully Gesell is a year ahead of him, as he can get to the rim, just needs to finish more consistently.

Part of finishing at the rim has to do with experience. Take Matt Gatens for example. I don't know how many time I used to wince when he would drive into the lane, you just knew he was gonna get rejected. Then all of a sudden his Sr year he started finishing those drives. Hopefully Gesell is a year ahead of him, as he can get to the rim, just needs to finish more consistently.

Agree. Gatens got his stuff rejected all of the time.

Gesell is going to be a much better player this year, as he was last year. But, Iowa does still have a problem of players who can get their own shot.

Yeah, Gesell will be fine. I think our view on him is a bit tainted due to his performance the last two games of the season. He couldn't throw the ball into the water if he was in a boat but is a much better shooter than that.
He'll be fine.

BTW, and getting back to the original theme of the post, the Register says that Huff is going to decide after his Iowa visit. So, no Michigan visit at this point and you gotta think Iowa is the favorite.

Agree. Gatens got his stuff rejected all of the time.

Gesell is going to be a much better player this year, as he was last year. But, Iowa does still have a problem of players who can get their own shot.

What are you basing that on? Gesell may indeed improve. But if he's going to take the next step, he has to find a way to shoot a better percentage from the field.

2012-13 Gesell

25 mpg
40.3 FG%
31.7 % from 3-point
79.4 FT%
8.7 ppg
89 assist/59 TO (1.5 A/TO ratio)

2013-14 Gesell
23 mpg
37.5 FG%
31.5 3-point %
67.1%
3.05 A/TO ratio

The one area where he improved was in taking care of the ball. His assist to turnover ratio was very good. But a guard who shoots 37% from the field, 31% from 3 and 67% from the line is an anchor on the offense. Gesell needs to figure out where/how he can score effectively in the B1G. I would argue it's not ever going to be trying to get all the way to the rim regularly. He needs to be proficient at the pull-up game in the lane and hitting open 3's.

[/B]

Yeah, Gesell will be fine. I think our view on him is a bit tainted due to his performance the last two games of the season. He couldn't throw the ball into the water if he was in a boat but is a much better shooter than that.
He'll be fine.

I hear people say that "Gesell is a better shooter" quite a bit. What about his college career to date has indicated that he is? Not saying it can't happen, but we now have 2 years of him shooting 31% from 3-point land.

BTW, and getting back to the original theme of the post, the Register says that Huff is going to decide after his Iowa visit. So, no Michigan visit at this point and you gotta think Iowa is the favorite.

Latest posts