Possible Transfer: Cole Huff from Nevada

MG really does seem best suited for a PG in a triangle O, in the Kerr, Paxton, Fisher mold.

The problem is if you don't have the great triangle 2 guard. Those types of PGs are marginal at best.

Agree. Gatens got his stuff rejected all of the time.

Gesell is going to be a much better player this year, as he was last year. But, Iowa does still have a problem of players who can get their own shot.

I agree with your assessment that Gesell will grow next year, but he was not a much better player last year than he was the previous year. You could even argue that he wasn't even marginally better.

His assist to turnover ratio improved, as did his offensive efficiency (slightly). But his +/- ratio dropped off a cliff. His shooting slid across the board. His rebounding decreased. Gesell had an off year, most likely due to being injured all summer. It's okay to admit that.

What people seem to be forgetting is why Iowa fell apart. It was because opposing coaches adjusted and overcompensated to defend the transition game.

Iowa could not score effectively in the half court because of the make up of the team and once they couldn't score they gave up playing good defense. Iowa was exposed and hence not a good team last year.

I think Iowa "fell apart" because Basabe got sick. Neither Basabe or the team were the same after his illness...if he ever actually got back to 100%. Basabe was a key player for us in the half court game on both ends of the court...when the opposition took away the transition game. All IMO...

What are you basing that on? Gesell may indeed improve. But if he's going to take the next step, he has to find a way to shoot a better percentage from the field.

2012-13 Gesell

25 mpg
40.3 FG%
31.7 % from 3-point
79.4 FT%
8.7 ppg
89 assist/59 TO (1.5 A/TO ratio)

2013-14 Gesell
23 mpg
37.5 FG%
31.5 3-point %
67.1%
3.05 A/TO ratio

The one area where he improved was in taking care of the ball. His assist to turnover ratio was very good. But a guard who shoots 37% from the field, 31% from 3 and 67% from the line is an anchor on the offense. Gesell needs to figure out where/how he can score effectively in the B1G. I would argue it's not ever going to be trying to get all the way to the rim regularly. He needs to be proficient at the pull-up game in the lane and hitting open 3's.

I'm not worried about Gesell. See Oglesby...sophomore to junior year. I am a firm believer in the sophomore slump. Coaches adjust to what players did well as freshmen. Players adjust to what coaches did differently when they were sophomores. They also are a year older, wiser, stronger, get a few more calls, etc.

I agree with your assessment that Gesell will grow next year, but he was not a much better player last year than he was the previous year. You could even argue that he wasn't even marginally better.

His assist to turnover ratio improved, as did his offensive efficiency (slightly). But his +/- ratio dropped off a cliff. His shooting slid across the board. His rebounding decreased. Gesell had an off year, most likely due to being injured all summer. It's okay to admit that.

Pretty much how I feel about Gesell. Not that he will be replaced, but there is a reason Fran went after, and brought in, Dickerson. Better shooter, better penetrator, etc. Hopefully Mike can have a great JR season, but have to admit I was disappointed with him last year. If his mid range game doesn't improve, and the attrocious FT shooting continues, he may very well find himself behind someone else.

BTW, and getting back to the original theme of the post, the Register says that Huff is going to decide after his Iowa visit. So, no Michigan visit at this point and you gotta think Iowa is the favorite.

I also saw this. It can't hurt that Creighton lost their entire team...Doug McDermott. I'm hopeful he commits before leaving Iowa City.

Hope we land Huff...we need an infusion of talent, constantly. As for Mikey....he will shoot the ball much better next year...write it down, and quote me, and come back next year at this point and prove me wrong. The kid's stroke is very solid, and that will make the difference over time.

I think Iowa "fell apart" because Basabe got sick. Neither Basabe or the team were the same after his illness...if he ever actually got back to 100%. Basabe was a key player for us in the half court game on both ends of the court...when the opposition took away the transition game. All IMO...

That likely contributed but the biggest problems were, IMO, having Aaron White at the 3 where teams completely backed off of him and dared him to shoot clogging the lane and the horrible defense Iowa was playing.

By the end of the year Iowa couldn't even defend a simple pick anymore, nearly impossible to win games that way.

Gotta think we're the favorite at this point. Still time for things to change, but the signs are very encouraging.

MG got a lot better than you guys are giving him credit for. While his shooting struggled and his passing improved evident by his A/TO ratio, what most are forgetting is that his defense improved quite a bit. He was arguably the best on ball defender on the team. I would say he was better than Marble because while Marble got steals, he gambled a lot. MG has some of the quickest feet on the team. He bothered the opposing PG a lot more than he did his freshman year and it's not even close.

Back to the main topic, I will be surprised if Huff chooses Creighton.

MG got a lot better than you guys are giving him credit for. While his shooting struggled and his passing improved evident by his A/TO ratio, what most are forgetting is that his defense improved quite a bit. He was arguably the best on ball defender on the team. I would say he was better than Marble because while Marble got steals, he gambled a lot. MG has some of the quickest feet on the team. He bothered the opposing PG a lot more than he did his freshman year and it's not even close.

Back to the main topic, I will be surprised if Huff chooses Creighton.[/QU

MG is a good enough combo guard. He can shoot and he can get to the rim. What he does not do, is get inside the paint looking to draw defenders so he can pass. That's my only gripe with his game and that's something that can be changed. Its mental and MG needs to decide that's what he wants to do.

Gotta think we're the favorite at this point. Still time for things to change, but the signs are very encouraging.

TM, got this article from the other site.

There is a quote from Huff's AAU coach that says: “I just think he wanted to do more than
just be a pick-and-pop shooter or a face-up guy in the post,” Parks said. “He
wanted to be a guy that can grab a rebound and go coast-to-coast or grab a
rebound and get you in the offense. Stuff you see Aaron White
do.”

There is a quote from Huff's AAU coach that says: “I just think he wanted to do more than
do.”

And now, the link: http://thegazette.com/subject/sport...ff-visits-this-weekend-20140502#ixzz30aGjHTOW

do.”

Personally, I think he's a little different than White. He's the better shooter, but I think White might be a little better inside. But a better shooting version of White could make the half court offense a lot more dangerous.

Personally, I think he's a little different than White. He's the better shooter, but I think White might be a little better inside. But a better shooting version of White could make the half court offense a lot more dangerous.

Can you imagine having Uthoff, Uhl and Huff on the floor for an entire season? Three legit 6' 8" wings that can get to the rim or nail the 3? Very excited about getting this kid.

creighton is bringing in two 2104 SFs

looking at recruits and roster, they may see huff as more of a 4

it wouldn't surprise me if fran sees him more as a 3 -- fran likes taking long players with some ball skills and sliding them one position down the continuum.

wishful thinking, but more time at the 3, and the ability to step in right away and probably get the starting nod over the soph uhl could be pretty attractive to huff.

creighton is bringing in two 2104 SFs

looking at recruits and roster, they may see huff as more of a 4

it wouldn't surprise me if fran sees him more as a 3 -- fran likes taking long players with some ball skills and sliding them one position down the continuum.

wishful thinking, but more time at the 3, and the ability to step in right away and probably get the starting nod over the soph uhl could be pretty attractive to huff.

Then the Creighton situation sounds very similar to UM. There was a UM poster that visited the other site that was explaining how Beilein likes to use 3 wing plays, a pg and a C and that there were 2 6' 8" freshmen coming and a RS 6' 8" ready next season. By that math, with Huff having to sit out a year, he'd be the 4th one in rotation in terms of experience. He'd be 1 year behind the other 3. So, same at Creighton. The two freshmen will be a year ahead. Unless they all redshirt.

Good news. I'm optimistic our chances are 50/50 of getting him!

Since Huff has narrowed it to Iowa and Creighton, I'd say you're right that it's 50/50. :eek:

I like our chances too, but I've seen Iowa lose out on too many recruiting wars to feel too sure about anything until Huff announces. I'm just in wait-and-see mode.

Latest posts