Possible Candidates

Not gonna lie. In the covid shortened season of XFL 2.0, I think he did a terrific job as the QB coach to Ta'amu and Heinicke. And I think he called much better suited offenses as the OC than Gradkowski did for the Battlehawks in XFL 3.0

Gradkowski and and Becht tried to run that offense like a NFL offense. You can't do that. Because these guys (at the moment) aren't good enough to play in the NFL. IE....Hakeem Butler dropping too many passes from McCarron.

If Long had been the OC for the Battlehawks 3.0 this past season, I fully believe they would have won the championship.

I can't say if he's right for the Hawks, but he was right for the Battlehawks.
Good stuff. You know, I had this funny thought. What if Brian quit tomorrow, said he didn't want to be a distraction anymore. Or Goetz fired him immediately.

What if Kirk turned around and called up O'Keefe, Chuck Long and Glen Mason. Three guys that are sitting around but seem to still follow football (I still listen to a Minneapolis sports radio show after living there for a number of years and Mason is a great guest during football season).

Anyway, Kirk tells them he raised $300k overnight, they each get a $100k to grind from now through November. Nothing but eat, live and sleep offensive football for 60 days. No recruiting or media, just work together to put together an offense and game plan with what they have. Autonomy to run anything they want.

I think they'd probably do it. And almost without a doubt, I bet they'd come up with something more functional that we're seeing now, even when making huge changes on the fly.

anyone that can provide an entertaining and competitive product so that I'll be motivated to go to a football game again.

A new OC means (likely) new staff at OL, TE, TE, RB, and QB. That represents a lot of Iowa DNA. This adds to reluctance

Wow, this is a stellar post. Thank you, xir.

Course, I think the team that did the best job with their offense lost in the Championship. The DC team (who had Ta'amu) ran the hell out of the ball. And ran their quarterbacks. And ran the option. And that allowed the QBs to pass effectively. Basically said "we got like a month to put together an offense for a team full of players with virtually no common field time between any of them. In a league that's only had 3 or 4 games. Let's not do anything too cute and just go with what we know can work We'll work with what we have and adapt as we go."

Course...even they lost in the Championship.

To Bob Stoops' team. The one team that improved and coalesced the most over the season.

Last edited:
I think you have to place a call to Bob Stoops.
This is the absolute dumbest take in the history of this board and has been forever. Dumber than any of my takes by ten miles and that’s saying something.

People thinking Bob Stoops would quit what he’s doing to come coach here are equivalent to nebraska fans in ignorance level.

Jesus Christ.

Like the thought and hopeful thinking, but we all know this isn't happening anytime soon! You will all have another 3-4 years to come up with a new short list. Problem is by then this will not be a very inviting job. Who is going to be willing to come in and want to build a program in Iowa to compete with Osu, Mich, Usc, Oregon, Ped st. And so on! Doubt the next hire will be a splash. Unfortunately no matter what side the fence you are on about Kirk, this is 2-3 seasons overdue and I doubt many of us older fans will be impressed about the future. Keep in mind ,my opinion only!

This is the absolute dumbest take in the history of this board and has been forever. Dumber than any of my takes by ten miles and that’s saying something.

People thinking Bob Stoops would quit what he’s doing to come coach here are equivalent to nebraska fans in ignorance level.

Jesus Christ.
You have to try Fry....whether it fails or not...then move on.

Whole lotta people in this thread who've never heard of Bo Pelini and actually want to do something that is thousands of times more statistically likely to tank this program than improve on where it's at by rolling a 10,000 sided die.

If you're Iowa State you roll that die. If you're Indiana you roll that die., If you're Michigan State you roll that die. A team with Iowa's past decade of results does not roll that die.

You people wanting this are idiots. You don't understand odds. You don't understand fallacies and paralogia. You're just flat out factually dumb and there's nothing anyone can do to fix it.

It's ok if you get mad, and can't accept it, and want to lash out. I can take it and I'll sleep like a baby tonight. It's not your fault you were born with cognitive impairments. But it doesn't change the fact that you're what they'd call an imbecile in 1922.

Here's your signs...

Whole lotta people in this thread who've never heard of Bo Pelini and actually want to do something that is thousands of times more statistically likely to tank this program than improve on where it's at by rolling a 10,000 sided die.

You people wanting this are idiots. You don't understand odds. You don't understand fallacies and paralogia. You're just flat out factually dumb and there's nothing anyone can do to fix it.

It's ok if you get mad, and can't accept it, and want to lash out. I can take it and I'll sleep like a baby tonight. It's not your fault you were born cerebrally-impaired. But it doesn't change the fact that you're what they'd call an imbecile in 1922.

Here's your signs...
Besides the Stoops suggestions and OK4P trolling, what else are you referring to?

If you're Iowa State you roll that die. If you're Indiana you roll that die., If you're Michigan State you roll that die. A team with Iowa's past decade of results does not roll that die.

It's ok if you get mad, and can't accept it, and want to lash out. I can take it and I'll sleep like a baby tonight. It's not your fault you were born cerebrally-impaired. But it doesn't change the fact that you're what they'd call an imbecile in 1922.

Here's your signs...

I find your posts relatively entertaining! lol. I chuckle when I read them. Well done.

Besides the Stoops suggestions and OK4P trolling, what else are you referring to?
@okeefe4prez is not part of that demographic.

I’m referring to everyone on this board and in other threads suggesting that KF needs to be replaced. It’s fucking lunacy. It’s no different than saying, “We need to hire a better staff,” and doing so by trying to blindly pull a single orange marble out of a jar with 10,000 green marbles in it. Because that’s about how many more unproven and inferior coaches are out there. And before you give me bullshit about hiring a “proven" coach, Todd Lickliter was a “proven” coach. Riley, Frost, and Rhule were all “proven” coaches. PJ Fleck was a “proven” coach. Ed Orgeron was a “proven” coach. I could go on for literal days about the “proven” coaches who flopped, but it’d take about 5 minutes to talk about every coach who took a perennially successful team and made it better than it was.

Good stuff. You know, I had this funny thought. What if Brian quit tomorrow, said he didn't want to be a distraction anymore. Or Goetz fired him immediately.

What if Kirk turned around and called up O'Keefe, Chuck Long and Glen Mason. Three guys that are sitting around but seem to still follow football (I still listen to a Minneapolis sports radio show after living there for a number of years and Mason is a great guest during football season).

Anyway, Kirk tells them he raised $300k overnight, they each get a $100k to grind from now through November. Nothing but eat, live and sleep offensive football for 60 days. No recruiting or media, just work together to put together an offense and game plan with what they have. Autonomy to run anything they want.

I think they'd probably do it. And almost without a doubt, I bet they'd come up with something more functional that we're seeing now, even when making huge changes on the fly.
There's something amiss with KF and Longs relationship I think. I can't point to anything specific but I've wondered for yrs now that Chuck has been out of college football why wouldn't KF want him to be a part of it. Even as just a QB coach or passing game coordinator/hold BFs hand guy he'd be a huge addition to the program. But all these yrs he's never been brought in and for whatever reasons I've never heard anyone in the media even ask why. The fan base woulda done back flips to have Chuck replace BF at any point the last 3 yrs. Too bad we'll never see it.

It's ok if you get mad, and can't accept it, and want to lash out. I can take it and I'll sleep like a baby tonight. It's not your fault you were born with cognitive impairments. But it doesn't change the fact that you're what they'd call an imbecile in 1922.

Here's your signs...
I know I'm not asking for Kirk to leave....isn't this just a hypothetical thread on if and when Kirk leaves?

Jesus Christ.
Kirk will end as coach at Iowa when he decides to retire, and not before. He is a hall of fame coach and will continue coaching for several more years.

But I’m now convinced his son must go. It just isn’t working. Also find a new O Line coach. Maybe a new strength coach? We are soft as Velveeta cheese on offense. It’s embarrassing.

This team is going to win 7 games tops this year. We just aren’t getting it done on offense.

Latest posts