Player Predictions

You think he is going to average more than 8 points and 6 assists per game?
Not more assists but very possibly more everything else. We are a fast paced team, someone has to score. If he gets as many minutes as Mike did, he will probably score more. Mike was pretty poor offensively. Like I said tho, he might not be as efficient.

Not more assists but very possibly more everything else. We are a fast paced team, someone has to score. If he gets as many minutes as Mike did, he will probably score more. Mike was pretty poor offensively. Like I said tho, he might not be as efficient.

That's pretty bold in my opinion. Mike scored 267 points as a freshman, Williams scored 27. Williams could be worse than Mike offensively for all we know.

Gesell wasn't a great shooter, but he was careful to get a good shot when he did take a shot. Williams is going to be a lot less likely to get his shot blocked when going for a layup so that should add a few points Williams way over Gesell. Fran has watched Williams for a year, and he didn't want Williams to be hesitant offensively. I think he is going to be a great offensive and defensively player. There is going to be a lot of interest in the Prime Time League. This will be int first year people will get to see Moss too.

That's pretty bold in my opinion. Mike scored 267 points as a freshman, Williams scored 27. Williams could be worse than Mike offensively for all we know.

Mike scored that many points as a freshman because he played a lot on a terrible team. Those stats are completely irrelevant in this discussion. Put Williams on the team 4 years ago or freshman Mike on this year's team and the stats would probably be pretty close, as far as how many points each player would score.

Mike scored that many points as a freshman because he played a lot on a terrible team. Those stats are completely irrelevant in this discussion. Put Williams on the team 4 years ago or freshman Mike on this year's team and the stats would probably be pretty close, as far as how many points each player would score.

Mike was clearly much better than Williams this year and was a 4 star recruit coming out of HS. Williams was a flier we took in late spring when he had no offers because of his upside with his length but he's done nothing to show us he'll ever be as good as Mike was when it comes to scoring the ball. I fear moving a natural wing with no experience to PG in the Big Ten is going to be more of a challenge than most people expect. There's a reason we went after Ulis a second time after everything that happened. I think Willliams will be better than Bohannon but wouldn't be surprised at all if Bohannon was the guy running the show by the end of the season.

Mike was clearly much better than Williams this year and was a 4 star recruit coming out of HS. Williams was a flier we took in late spring when he had no offers because of his upside with his length but he's done nothing to show us he'll ever be as good as Mike was when it comes to scoring the ball. I fear moving a natural wing with no experience to PG in the Big Ten is going to be more of a challenge than most people expect. There's a reason we went after Ulis a second time after everything that happened. I think Willliams will be better than Bohannon but wouldn't be surprised at all if Bohannon was the guy running the show by the end of the season.

I don't think Mike was clearly better at the end of the year. Right or wrong he was going to still get his minutes tho. He was a decent all around player but he wasn't a scorer, partially because he didn't have to be one. Now if Mike woukd have been asked to do more this year or Williams was asked to do less next year, I might think differently because Mike probably could have got 12 or so a game with a different mindset.

I guess what I'm saying is Williams isn't necessarily a better scorer than Mike, but because of circumstances he might score more.

I don't think Mike was clearly better at the end of the year. Right or wrong he was going to still get his minutes tho. He was a decent all around player but he wasn't a scorer, partially because he didn't have to be one. Now if Mike woukd have been asked to do more this year or Williams was asked to do less next year, I might think differently because Mike probably could have got 12 or so a game with a different mindset.

I guess what I'm saying is Williams isn't necessarily a better scorer than Mike, but because of circumstances he might score more.

If Mike clearly wasn't better I'm very disappointed in Fran for playing Mike the whole game with Williams on the bench

At the end of the year Williams was getting minutes.

Minimal minutes compared to Mike. If Mike wasn't clearly better and was getting significant more minutes than Williams that's a Fran problem and I don't think that was the case.

Minimal minutes compared to Mike. If Mike wasn't clearly better and was getting significant more minutes than Williams that's a Fran problem and I don't think that was the case.

Most coaches will give a 4 year starter considerably more minutes that a comparable freshman. I don't really love it but there are worse things.

Most coaches will give a 4 year starter considerably more minutes that a comparable freshman. I don't really love it but there are worse things.

Mike was better than Williams last year including the end of season, you really can't argue that.

PG is obviously going to be a weakness next year, we just have to hope Pete, Uhl, Baer and Cook make up for it.

Mike scored 10.8 pts/40 minutes this year. Christian 10.7. Just trying to add conflict to the conversation. Kidding!

Comparing the two is ridiculous at this point. Until next year, there is no reason to mince words. We will see what happens soon enough... I for one am hoping CW ends up crushing MG's stats. That would be great for the Hawks! I'm not saying it will happen. But boy it would be sweet!

Mike was better than Williams last year including the end of season, you really can't argue that.

PG is obviously going to be a weakness next year, we just have to hope Pete, Uhl, Baer and Cook make up for it.

I'm not chalking this up as true just yet.

If Mike clearly wasn't better I'm very disappointed in Fran for playing Mike the whole game with Williams on the bench

I thought Gesell improve as a senior, but his potential wasn't going to rise as the season went on. Iowa lost six of the last eight games and seven of the last ten games, and Gesell never made one of the all tournament teams in any of his four years at Iowa. I enjoyed watching Gesell, and he was a great student athlete, but I like to think Williams has a lot more potential at the point guard position. Williams is familiar with the Iowa system now, and hopefully, he will be fun to watch next year along with the Iowa team. I thought Gesell did everything well except shoot the ball. There are a lot of things that an athletic 6 ft 6 guy can do that most athletic 6 ft guys will never be able to do. I doubt to many college basketball players can match Gesell in the academic part of college. I don't know if Williams was better at the end of the year, but a four year starter probably would deserve to start the last few games of his senior year.

I thought Gesell improve as a senior, but his potential wasn't going to rise as the season went on. Iowa lost six of the last eight games and seven of the last ten games, and Gesell never made one of the all tournament teams in any of his four years at Iowa. I enjoyed watching Gesell, and he was a great student athlete, but I like to think Williams has a lot more potential at the point guard position. Williams is familiar with the Iowa system now, and hopefully, he will be fun to watch next year along with the Iowa team. I thought Gesell did everything well except shoot the ball. There are a lot of things that an athletic 6 ft 6 guy can do that most athletic 6 ft guys will never be able to do. I doubt to many college basketball players can match Gesell in the academic part of college. I don't know if Williams was better at the end of the year, but a four year starter probably would deserve to start the last few games of his senior year.

I agree but I think Williams is a ways off before he gets to the point where Mike was. Look at their offer lists out of High School. Usually a good 6'6 PG would have his pick of any school he wanted, especially one that waited until Spring to commit. I just hope Williams can be like Olaseni and be good by his Junior/Senior year but am not expecting him to do much next season. I'm just hoping we can get some serviceable production out of him and Bohannon

Williams had trouble transferring schools his senior year where he lost a lot of time. I don't know how that would effect his ratings, but I suppose it would have some impact. It probably had an impact on the schools that ended up recruiting him. Its pretty obvious that Fran is comfortable with Williams at the point guard position, and I'm comfortable with Frans knowledge of the point guard position. Both Jok and Uthoff had the green light offensively last year, and it appeared that Williams had the green light to shoot too, so that should mean the Iowa coaching staff is comfortable with his offensive game. He looked pretty good toward the end of the season when he became more comfortable playing in the games. It remains to be seen how next year will go though. I'd rather be optimistic until proven wrong.

Williams had trouble transferring schools his senior year where he lost a lot of time. I don't know how that would effect his ratings, but I suppose it would have some impact. It probably had an impact on the schools that ended up recruiting him. Its pretty obvious that Fran is comfortable with Williams at the point guard position, and I'm comfortable with Frans knowledge of the point guard position. Both Jok and Uthoff had the green light offensively last year, and it appeared that Williams had the green light to shoot too, so that should mean the Iowa coaching staff is comfortable with his offensive game. He looked pretty good toward the end of the season when he became more comfortable playing in the games. It remains to be seen how next year will go though. I'd rather be optimistic until proven wrong.

The fact that Fran went after Charlie Moore a second time makes me wonder how comfortable he is with the PG spot next year

I agree but I think Williams is a ways off before he gets to the point where Mike was. Look at their offer lists out of High School. Usually a good 6'6 PG would have his pick of any school he wanted, especially one that waited until Spring to commit. I just hope Williams can be like Olaseni and be good by his Junior/Senior year but am not expecting him to do much next season. I'm just hoping we can get some serviceable production out of him and Bohannon

Once kids actually play college games, their offers out of high school don't matter anymore. Desmond King didn't have offers and he was already good as a freshman.

The fact that Fran went after Charlie Moore a second time makes me wonder how comfortable he is with the PG spot next year
Charlie Moore is a really good player. If Fran has a chance at him of course he is going to try, regardless of how the rest of the team looks.