Player Predictions

Did Fran really go after Moore the second time? I don't think so.

Yes. Cook Tweeted Moore with Fran's permission. So, That would be a yes.

If Fran did not at least attempt to recruit Charlie the 2nd time(unless there was some dirt), knowing there was mutual interest previously with Mr Basketball in Illinois, then Fran would be a fool.

Once kids actually play college games, their offers out of high school don't matter anymore. Desmond King didn't have offers and he was already good as a freshman.

Desmond had an Indiana and Wisconsin offer.

What has Williams done in college?

Desmond had an Indiana and Wisconsin offer.

What has Williams done in college?

Behind a 2nd team All-Big 10 Jr. and two Senior Point Guards he did not get a chance to play a lot as a freshman. Luckily, we have a Head Coach who makes millions along with his staff who evaluate his talent everyday in practice. I've heard good things from both those coaches and aforementioned PGs, sorry to say, I'll take their opinions over yours everyday of the week.

Behind a 2nd team All-Big 10 Jr. and two Senior Point Guards he did not get a chance to play a lot as a freshman. Luckily, we have a Head Coach who makes millions along with his staff who evaluate his talent everyday in practice. I've heard good things from both those coaches and aforementioned PGs, sorry to say, I'll take their opinions over yours everyday of the week.

Fran says good things about all his players. People thought PG was a weakness last year so I don't get how anyone can expect it to be better this year. That's all.

Fran says good things about all his players. People thought PG was a weakness last year so I don't get how anyone can expect it to be better this year. That's all.

Understudies often turn out to be better than their mentors, both in the real world and athletics.

I, along with many others were excited to see MG graduate. Sometimes a little fresh blood is just what the doctor ordered.

Two years ago Linebackers were a weakness for Iowa football, then a lightly recruited Josey Jewell stepped up into an all conference type player, Cole Fischer got healthy and other guys stepped up. You see linebackers were a weakness one year, and then with little expectations ended up being a strength the following. That is the beauty of college sports.

Your fetish for low expectations for CW knows no bounds, and you may be right, so I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. Your logic however, IMO is severely flawed.

Anybody expecting Christian Williams to be a better point guard next season than a Senior Mike Gesell is on crack. Before he is done, there is a chance that Christian will be better than Mike was, but he is not even close yet.

Anybody expecting Christian Williams to be a better point guard next season than a Senior Mike Gesell is on crack. Before he is done, there is a chance that Christian will be better than Mike was, but he is not even close yet.

I'm not "expecting" it, but it's very possible.

True. Not sure what that has to do with anything, but true.

It's probably the same possibility of Williams being better than Gesell next year. Mike was HM all conference, you're out of your mind if you think Williams will be an all conference caliber player next season

It's probably the same possibility of Williams being better than Gesell next year. Mike was HM all conference, you're out of your mind if you think Williams will be an all conference caliber player next season

Of course he was HM all conference. He was a 4 year starter senior. A player like that gets the nod for HM over other players equally and maybe slightly more deserving. Especially when that player is on a team that finishes high in the standings.

Williams might make one of the all conference teams or honorable mention all conference teams. With his length the other teams will have to adjust to him at the point. I think he will be a pretty good scorer and rebounder. When Iowa plays on television his size will give the announcers something to talk about so he will probably get a lot of publicity, especially if Iowa wins. I know the point guard from Ohio State is graduating, and Trimble from Maryland has his name in the draft. I don't know if he will, but I wouldn't write him off. Iowa is going to have a lot different team than past years that the other conference schools haven't seen so that might help them in the win/loss column.

I know this isn't exactly telling, because Williams came on towards the end of the season, but that is when he really got playing time when starters were playing, etc. But here's what the two averaged per minute played: better score in bold. Aside from the assists, the stats aren't that far apart.

Points Per Minute:
Gesell: .270
Williams: .264

Steals Per Minute:
Gesell: .032
Williams: .039

Assists Per Minute:
Gesell: .207
Williams: .058

Turnovers Per Minute:
Gesell: .065

Rebounds Per Minute:
Gesell: .105
Williams: .166

Blocks Per Minute:
Gesell: .005
Williams: .000

FG%
Gesell: .392
Williams: .321

FT%
Gesell: .742
Williams: .778

3PT%
Gesell: .348
Williams: .333

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2294/iowa-hawkeyes

You could probably factor in that Williams was a little played freshman, and Gesell was a four year starter. The main thing is that the Iowa coaching staff have seen Williams for a year, and they are satisfied with relying on him next year. When Williams first started playing last year, he looked a little lost, but he still was pretty aggressive. I think he will be a great player for Iowa.

I know this isn't exactly telling, because Williams came on towards the end of the season, but that is when he really got playing time when starters were playing, etc. But here's what the two averaged per minute played: better score in bold. Aside from the assists, the stats aren't that far apart.

Points Per Minute:
Gesell: .270
Williams: .264

Steals Per Minute:
Gesell: .032
Williams: .039

Assists Per Minute:
Gesell: .207

Turnovers Per Minute:
Gesell: .065

Rebounds Per Minute:
Gesell: .105
Williams: .166

Blocks Per Minute:
Gesell: .005
Williams: .000

FG%
Gesell: .392
Williams: .321

FT%
Gesell: .742
Williams: .778

3PT%
Gesell: .348
Williams: .333

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2294/iowa-hawkeyes

Mike Gesell played 987 minutes, scored 267 points and had 205 assists.
Christian William played 102 minutes, scored 27 points and had 6 assists.

Trying to use per 40 or per minute stats to compare those two players is ridiculous. CW is a huge unknown and spent most of the season behind Ellingson on the depth chart, to think he is going to be better than Mike was last year is just silly

You could probably factor in that Williams was a little played freshman, and Gesell was a four year starter. The main thing is that the Iowa coaching staff have seen Williams for a year, and they are satisfied with relying on him next year. When Williams first started playing last year, he looked a little lost, but he still was pretty aggressive. I think he will be a great player for Iowa.

We don't know that, we went after Moore a second time, tried to get Vital and I can assume we went after a grad transfer PG.

Mike Gesell played 987 minutes, scored 267 points and had 205 assists.
Christian William played 102 minutes, scored 27 points and had 6 assists.

Trying to use per 40 or per minute stats to compare those two players is ridiculous. CW is a huge unknown and spent most of the season behind Ellingson on the depth chart, to think he is going to be better than Mike was last year is just silly
This is spot on. Playing behind BE should give you've clue.