Player Predictions

I agree with your assessment that Williams will be in the 7-8 PPG range, which is just fine as long as he gets us into our offense and doesn't turn the ball over.

I do think it's possible though that he develops his game this summer and becomes a 12 PPG scorer. With the lack of PGs there is a good chance he is either 1st or 2nd on the team in minutes played. He has a solid mid range game and with his size should be able to get his shot when he pleases over smaller defenders. He's also looks to be pretty good in transition. If his three develops, look out.

I chose Uhl, because I figured it was a safe bet given what we've seen. With the lack of big time minutes played by anyone outside of Jok, this is pretty much a guessing game at this point.

How do you know this?

I agree with your assessment that Williams will be in the 7-8 PPG range, which is just fine as long as he gets us into our offense and doesn't turn the ball over.

I do think it's possible though that he develops his game this summer and becomes a 12 PPG scorer. With the lack of PGs there is a good chance he is either 1st or 2nd on the team in minutes played. He has a solid mid range game and with his size should be able to get his shot when he pleases over smaller defenders. He's also looks to be pretty good in transition. If his three develops, look out.

I chose Uhl, because I figured it was a safe bet given what we've seen. With the lack of big time minutes played by anyone outside of Jok, this is pretty much a guessing game at this point.

This is what I'm worried about. He's an obvious mismatch for opponents on defense given his size and length. Having said that, in the few minutes we saw him play this year he was pretty careless with the basketball in terms of dribbling it right in front of his defender. A crossover has a long ways to travel when you're 6'6 with a a 6'11 wingspan and he's going to be guarded by smaller, quicker guards in most every case.

How do you know this?

I suppose I don't know for sure yet. I do remember when he began to play towards the end of the year he hit a few mid range shots and appeared to me to have pretty good touch in the mid range. I also watched his Senior year highlights recently and he looked to have a solid floater game and mid range J.

This is what I'm worried about. He's an obvious mismatch for opponents on defense given his size and length. Having said that, in the few minutes we saw him play this year he was pretty careless with the basketball in terms of dribbling it right in front of his defender. A crossover has a long ways to travel when you're 6'6 with a a 6'11 wingspan and he's going to be guarded by smaller, quicker guards in most every case.

This will probably be the most important thing in regards to Christian, and maybe our team as a whole next year.

Then again, there are ways to better protect the ball by using that size. It's a lot easier to pass over/ around people when you are that long.

I suppose I don't know for sure yet. I do remember when he began to play towards the end of the year he hit a few mid range shots and appeared to me to have pretty good touch in the mid range. I also watched his Senior year highlights recently and he looked to have a solid floater game and mid range J.

He shot 32% from the field and scored 27 points on the season. He hasn't really showed us he can do anything yet. I do think the upside is there but to predict him to be a double digit scorer is probably not reasonable

He shot 32% from the field and scored 27 points on the season. He hasn't really showed us he can do anything yet. I do think the upside is there but to predict him to be a double digit scorer is probably not reasonable

Fair enough. I think we are in agreement here as I also said I see him around 7-8 points next year, which is perfectly fine as long as he can handle the other aspects of being a PG.

The reasons I said I would not be surprised if he averages 12 PPG are:
1. Perceived amount of PT he is set to get as our primary ball handler.
2. Both Sapp and MG raving about his ability.
3. His potential based on what I've seen in his little college experience and high school film.

Btw, I put little to no value in the 27 points all season stat that keeps getting thrown around.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I think we are in agreement here as I also said I see him around 7-8 points next year, which is perfectly fine as long as he can handle the other aspects of being a PG.

The reasons I said I would not be surprised if he averages 12 PPG are:
1. Perceived amount of PT he is set to get as our primary ball handler.
2. Both Sapp and MG raving about his ability.
3. His potential based on what I've seen in his little college experience and high school film.

Btw, I put little to no value in the 27 points all season stat that keeps getting thrown around.

When was the last time we had a PG even average double digit points? Mike had a great mid range game, always played and never did.

When was the last time we had a PG even average double digit points? Mike had a great mid range game, always played and never did.

Tony Freeman in 07-08 I believe is the correct answer. We'll see, hopefully CW is the next to do it whether it be this year or in the future.

For reference to the 27 total points stat that keeps getting mentioned, I did some digging and here is what I found.

If you compare CW to RDM freshman stats in conference play (I chose this as CW did not really crack the rotation until conference) per 40 mins of PT the stats were:

CW: 15.4 PPG, 7.2 REB, 2.1 AST, 3.1 STL
RDM: 10.8 PPG, 4.6 REB, 2.8 AST, 1.8 STL

Now clearly the sample size for CW is much smaller as RDM was thrown into that fire for regular minutes that year, and clearly he won't get 40 minutes a game or anywhere close, but it does give you the idea that he was no scrub when he got his opportunities in conference play last year.

2nd leading scorer: Moss or Jones

Rebounds: Jones

Blocks: Wagner or Baer

Assists: Williams or Bohannon

Steals: Jok

When I look at the players we have lost in the past two years all I can say is wow. Fran is really going to have to put on a coaching clinic or this upcoming season could be ugly. A couple of players are really going to have to excell and be a surprise. Joc can't do it alone and I just don't see who will really be able to help him carry this team.

Tony Freeman in 07-08 I believe is the correct answer. We'll see, hopefully CW is the next to do it whether it be this year or in the future.

For reference to the 27 total points stat that keeps getting mentioned, I did some digging and here is what I found.

If you compare CW to RDM freshman stats in conference play (I chose this as CW did not really crack the rotation until conference) per 40 mins of PT the stats were:

CW: 15.4 PPG, 7.2 REB, 2.1 AST, 3.1 STL
RDM: 10.8 PPG, 4.6 REB, 2.8 AST, 1.8 STL

Now clearly the sample size for CW is much smaller as RDM was thrown into that fire for regular minutes that year, and clearly he won't get 40 minutes a game or anywhere close, but it does give you the idea that he was no scrub when he got his opportunities in conference play last year.

That's one unique way to spin it. CW spent the entire year behind two guards that could never average double figures in their career. He spent must of the season behind BE on the depth chart and look at his numbers. Let's pump the brakes a bit on what he will be able to do next year since he's the biggest question mark on our team next season and you're talking like he's a proven commodity

That's one unique way to spin it. CW spent the entire year behind two guards that could never average double figures in their career. He spent must of the season behind BE on the depth chart and look at his numbers. Let's pump the brakes a bit on what he will be able to do next year since he's the biggest question mark on our team next season and you're talking like he's a proven commodity

Who cares where he spent most of the season. How he ended the season is what's important and if you watched him late in the year, he looked pretty darn good. Couple that with both Gesell and Clemmons singling him out for the player to watch out for, I'm guessing he's going to be pretty good. And no one is talking like he's a proven commodity. They're just stating their opinions on why they think he will be good.

Who cares where he spent most of the season. How he ended the season is what's important and if you watched him late in the year, he looked pretty darn good. Couple that with both Gesell and Clemmons singling him out for the player to watch out for, I'm guessing he's going to be pretty good. And no one is talking like he's a proven commodity. They're just stating their opinions on why they think he will be good.

He hardly played even at the end of the season and it's not like he had great guards in front of him. I fully expect him to be a 10-12 ppg type player by his senior year but I think next year is going to be rough. I mean he didn't even score in over half the conference and tournament games he played in

Look back at my posts guy, I estimated his average the same as you did. This is a thread about next years team, we literally have one guy who is a proven starter and a few others who have got minutes as role players, it's all just speculation at this point. What makes him a bigger question mark then Moss or Cook or even Jones returning from a knee injury? I won't be surprised if he is our second leading scorer, you will, let's just leave it at that.

He hardly played even at the end of the season and it's not like he had great guards in front of him. I fully expect him to be a 10-12 ppg type player by his senior year but I think next year is going to be rough. I mean he didn't even score in over half the conference and tournament games he played in

He didn't have great guards in front of him. But they were seniors who had a ton of experience so a freshman is going to have to be pretty darn good to take their play time. And of course he didn't score in a lot of games he played in since there were a lot of games where he only played a couple minutes. He was also on a team with 5 guys that he probably felt he needed to defer to. Next year there will only be 1 guy for him to defer to.

He didn't have great guards in front of him. But they were seniors who had a ton of experience so a freshman is going to have to be pretty darn good to take their play time. And of course he didn't score in a lot of games he played in since there were a lot of games where he only played a couple minutes. He was also on a team with 5 guys that he probably felt he needed to defer to. Next year there will only be 1 guy for him to defer to.

All I'm saying I don't know that he showed me enough late in the year last year to feel confident with him running the show next year.

All I'm saying I don't know that he showed me enough late in the year last year to feel confident with him running the show next year.
But remember, the bar hasn't been set real high to equal PG play last year. A bonus would be if he could make some plays late to actually win some 50/50 games. We haven't had a player do that in 3 years or so.

But remember, the bar hasn't been set real high to equal PG play last year. A bonus would be if he could make some plays late to actually win some 50/50 games. We haven't had a player do that in 3 years or so.

I think the odds of CW being as good as Gesell was next year are pretty low. He will hopefully develop into being better than Mike was by his senior year but just don't see it happening next year

I think the odds of CW being as good as Gesell was next year are pretty low. He will hopefully develop into being better than Mike was by his senior year but just don't see it happening next year

I think he might be more productive stats wise but maybe less efficient. He is such a different player it will be hard to compare them.