Player Predictions

11-4-15 (Des Moines Register)

“I came in with no intention to redshirt,” Williams said.

He had a conversation with McCaffery earlier this year about whether to sit out a year. Both were on the same page, that he should get some experience now with Iowa’s only two other true point guards, Mike Gesell and Anthony Clemmons, being seniors.

McCaffery said he didn’t want to pigeon-hole Williams as just a point guard, even though that’ll be a key 2016-17 need.

“He’s a really good wing player. That’s the tough thing with him, because we are working him in at the point and we do need him to play point moving forward,” McCaffery said. “But he is almost 6-7, he’s got a 6-11 wing span, he’s really good in transition, he’s a really good offensive rebounder.”

11-4-15 (Des Moines Register)

“I came in with no intention to redshirt,” Williams said.

He had a conversation with McCaffery earlier this year about whether to sit out a year. Both were on the same page, that he should get some experience now with Iowa’s only two other true point guards, Mike Gesell and Anthony Clemmons, being seniors.

McCaffery said he didn’t want to pigeon-hole Williams as just a point guard, even though that’ll be a key 2016-17 need.

He’s a really good wing player. That’s the tough thing with him, because we are working him in at the point and we do need him to play point moving forward,” McCaffery said. “But he is almost 6-7, he’s got a 6-11 wing span, he’s really good in transition, he’s a really good offensive rebounder.”

Exactly why I'm scared for next year.

It is pretty scary. I predict Williams will average between 14 and 20 points a game next year, and Iowa will go undefeated unless someone beats them. I have a lot of confidence that the coaching staff knows what they are doing. Every year the Iowa coaching staff has outperformed what people thought they could accomplish. I think Iowa is getting more talented every year. Its pretty amazing what they have done in terms of all conference players, and the players having the possibility of the NBA or making a lot of money after college.

It is pretty scary. I predict Williams will average between 14 and 20 points a game next year, and Iowa will go undefeated unless someone beats them. I have a lot of confidence that the coaching staff knows what they are doing. Every year the Iowa coaching staff has outperformed what people thought they could accomplish. I think Iowa is getting more talented every year. Its pretty amazing what they have done in terms of all conference players, and the players having the possibility of the NBA or making a lot of money after college.

Lol, did I get on the ISU board by mistake? LMAO

But the 1st paragraph refers to him as 1 of the 3 true point guards on the team. My intent was to give the full picture. The plan has always been for Williams to play at the point. But Fran would love to utilize him at other positions because he brings so much to the table.

I'm not suggesting his skill set will be the same as Gesell's or Clemmons'. But I think his skill set will allow him to succeed at the point. He can do things Gesell and Clemmons couldn't do...like have a 6'11" wingspan.

But the 1st paragraph refers to him as 1 of the 3 true point guards on the team. My intent was to give the full picture. The plan has always been for Williams to play at the point. But Fran would love to utilize him at other positions because he brings so much to the table.

I'm not suggesting his skill set will be the same as Gesell's or Clemmons'. But I think his skill set will allow him to succeed at the point. He can do things Gesell and Clemmons couldn't do...like have a 6'11" wingspan.

I think Williams will be an upgrade over Gesell or Clemmons. Clemmons and Gesell were good players, but I don't think they bothered the other conference teams with their great abilities. Hopefully, Williams is a future all conference player. It should be easier for Williams than it was for Gesell or Clemmons because of the upgrade in depth and talent on the team.