Penn State should give up football for a period of time

The NCAA said Thursday that Penn State "now needs to respond" to possible violations of the association's principle of institutional control with the release of the Freeh Report.
The assertion was made in an NCAA statement Thursday morning distributed within minutes after the release of the Freeh Report which concluded that the top administrators at Penn State had "total disregard" for Jerry Sandusky's victims. The NCAA statement indicates that the association could be ready to proceed with a formal investigation, although that wasn't stated outright. In the statement, the NCAA said Penn State needs to respond to four key questions in the November letter written by NCAA president Mark Emmert to acting president Rodney Erickson regarding compliance, institution control and ethics.
Here is a summary of those questions from the November letter:
1. How has Penn State and/or its employees complied with the NCAA articles of the constitution that are cited in the letter?
2. How has Penn State exercised institutional control over the issues identified in and related to the (original) grand jury report?
3. Have each of the alleged persons to have been involved … behaved consistent with principles and requirements governing ethical conduct and honestly?
4. What policies and procedures does Penn State have in place to monitor, prevent and detect the issues identified in (the grand jury report).
For the first time since Emmert's letter was written, the NCAA has reacted to its contents in view of the Sandusky case. In it, Emmert warned that Penn State could be found to have lacked institutional control. He cites Article 2.1 in the NCAA Manual: "It is the responsibility of each member institution to control its intercollegiate athletics program in compliance with the rules and regulations … the instruction's president or chancellor is responsible for the administration of all aspects of the athletics program …"
Emmert also cites bylaws regarding ethical conduct and the head coach promoting "an atmosphere for compliance."
Former Penn State president Graham Spanier was fired in the wake of the Sandusky scandal. Former AD Tim Curley and former vice president Gary Schultz are accused of lying to a grand jury.
There was "an active agreement to conceal" according to Louis Freeh, whose organization wrote the report. In the Freeh report is a list of 119 recommendations to Penn State.
"It is critical that Penn State ... never forget these failures," said Freeh during a Thursday morning press conference regarding the report.

NCAA: Penn State 'now needs to respond' regarding possible violations - CBSSports.com

I'm with treychase on this one, 100%.

NOBODY SEEMS TO CARE ABOUT OR REMEMBER THE VICTIMS.

**** penn state. Out they go, like the garbage they are.

I care about the victims. But I also know that the people responsible for committing the act and hiding it have been/will be punished. I also know that they will receive a very handsome sum. It won't make what happened go away but I hope it will make their life a little easier going forward.

Its both.

I disagree, and you've failed to demonstrate otherwise. And you're fooling yourself if you think it's a good idea for the NCAA to start trying to expand it's focus to issues it doesn't have authority over.

NCAA History
Founded more than one hundred years ago as a way to protect student-athletes, the NCAA continues to implement that principle with increased emphasis on both athletics and academic excellence.

Core Values
The Association – through its member institutions, conferences and national office staff – shares a belief in and commitment to:

• The collegiate model of athletics in which students participate as an avocation, balancing their academic, social and athletics experiences.

• The highest levels of integrity and sportsmanship.

• The pursuit of excellence in both academics and athletics.

• The supporting role that intercollegiate athletics plays in the higher education mission and in enhancing the sense of community and strengthening the identity of member institutions.

• An inclusive culture that fosters equitable participation for student-athletes and career opportunities for coaches and administrators from diverse backgrounds.

• Respect for institutional autonomy and philosophical differences.

• Presidential leadership of intercollegiate athletics at the campus, conference and national levels.

Last Updated: Jun 29, 2010

I am in full agreement that Penn State should feel significant pain from this, but there are mechanisms in place far more qualified and superior to the NCAA to handle what happened...and they can take that pain to the football program.

I don't want the NCAA going down that road when they can't even responsibly handle what's going on within the parameters they've established.

Hog, now go look up the criteria for a finding of Lack of Institutional Control. Go ahead, google it and report back.

Personally, I don't think it's an athletic issue just because it involved people in the athletics department.

I am not trying to side with Penn State or defend what happened or make less of the situation. I just think that this should be handled in the courts. I don't see it as an NCAA issue.

Please tell me you're joking and you don't honestly believe what you just wrote!

Why do you think it was covered up in the first place? To protect the Science Department? To protect the Women's Studies Department?

It's an athletic issue because the coverup was done to protect the gravy train that is Penn State football. Period.

We are no longer talking about the act of child rape. That process has already played out in the courts and the child sodomite has already been found guilty.

Now we're talking about the coverup. About the protection of an athletic institution. About putting money, power, prestige and legacy above the wellfare of innocent, defenseless children when everyone at the top knew exactly what Sandusky was.

This now has EVERYTHING to do with athletics. It shows a culture of protection of individuals and institutions above all else, even the law. It shows a culture of shunning university policies and procedures in order to protect the gravy train that is Penn State football.

My friend, this is ENTIRELY an athletic issue. And to think otherwise just makes you look stupid.

On CyFan they're talking about violations of the Clery Act could be what gets PSU. I'm not familiar with this, maybe Thunder is?

Have I sufficiently killed the "NCAA has no jurisdiction" canard, or do we require more evidence? Because I can unload a document dump here, but I'd rather not, as I have actual work to attend to.

On CyFan they're talking about violations of the Clery Act could be what gets PSU. I'm not familiar with this, maybe Thunder is?

That's because The Freeh Report invoked The Clery Act.
From wiki:
Clery Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Clery Act requires all colleges and universities that participate in federal financial aid programs to keep and disclose information about crime on and near their respective campuses. Compliance is monitored by the United States Department of Education, which can impose civil penalties, up to $27,500 per violation, against institutions for each infraction and can suspend institutions from participating in federal student financial aid programs.

Please tell me you're joking and you don't honestly believe what you just wrote!

Why do you think it was covered up in the first place? To protect the Science Department? To protect the Women's Studies Department?

It's an athletic issue because the coverup was done to protect the gravy train that is Penn State football. Period.

We are no longer talking about the act of child rape. That process has already played out in the courts and the child sodomite has already been found guilty.

Now we're talking about the coverup. About the protection of an athletic institution. About putting money, power, prestige and legacy above the wellfare of innocent, defenseless children when everyone at the top knew exactly what Sandusky was.

This now has EVERYTHING to do with athletics. It shows a culture of protection of individuals and institutions above all else, even the law. It shows a culture of shunning university policies and procedures in order to protect the gravy train that is Penn State football.

My friend, this is ENTIRELY an athletic issue. And to think otherwise just makes you look stupid.

This. Well said, Rico.

Have I sufficiently killed the "NCAA has no jurisdiction" canard, or do we require more evidence? Because I can unload a document dump here, but I'd rather not, as I have actual work to attend to.

I've never doubt that the NCAA has jurisdiction, they certainly do. I'm just not 100% convince they'll actually lay down any sanctions.

They might, I hope they do, but I'm skeptical.

You're taking what I said out of context. My stance is that this issue shouldn't be left to the NCAA to decide. This larger cover up has place in the court systems as well, if you think otherwise you're fooling yourself.

I've never doubt that the NCAA has jurisdiction, they certainly do. I'm just not 100% convince they'll actually lay down any sanctions.

They might, I hope they do, but I'm skeptical.

They are going to be under enormous pressure to levy sanctions after what went down this morning.

That's because The Freeh Report invoked The Clery Act.
From wiki:
Clery Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Clery Act requires all colleges and universities that participate in federal financial aid programs to keep and disclose information about crime on and near their respective campuses. Compliance is monitored by the United States Department of Education, which can impose civil penalties, up to $27,500 per violation, against institutions for each infraction and can suspend institutions from participating in federal student financial aid programs.

I see. Anyway, they said it wouldn't an official NCAA death penalty but would act like one.

They are getting that info from this guy:

John Infante (John_Infante) on Twitter

Basically it's the Dept of Ed giving PSU the "death penalty" not the NCAA.

Latest posts