Penn State should give up football for a period of time

Lack of institutional control, what exactly is this? Is this rule simply restricted to recruiting violations or can this rule be applied to a football program that knowingly allowed a child molester access to its facilities, hotel rooms, prime seats at football games, bowl games, take these boys to football practices, knew of all this for 14 years and failed to take appropriate action? The head coach of the football program participated in the cover up. Now you want to tell me that the NCAA has no jurisdiction?

NCAA should take action and when/if they do Penn State would be wise to accept whatever punishment they dealt to them and move on. The nightmare would only intensify if they tried to fight it in the court of law, and chances are good Penn State would get hammered. There is no court of law, no jury, that will find favor with Penn State in a lawsuit.

According to tweets the attorney for the NCAA, Michael Burckney, has read the Freeh Report and said it DOES NOT show a lack of institutional control as defined by the NCAA Manual.

According to tweets the attorney for the NCAA, Michael Burckney, has read the Freeh Report and said it DOES NOT show a lack of institutional control as defined by the NCAA Manual.

NCAA will do nothing. It's out of their control. This is an institutional situation.

So why is the NCAA investigating if all of this is outside of their command? Penn State shouldn't even respond then if the NCAA has no say in the matter.

Some of you do not have a clue to the seriousness of this case as I see many of you trying to compare this to other crimes that has been committed, one poster even compared this situation to crimes that have been committed at Iowa. We are talking about more than just a crime that took place in the football locker room, that you could compare to other crimes (murder, rape, ect), in this case we are talking about an institution that not only knew about these crimes being committed but allowed them to continuously happen, doing nothing to stop it. How many victims could have been spared had JoePa (and others) reported Sandusky when they initially found out?

It is obvious they knew back in 1998 when they forced Sandusky to retire, I am guessing they knew about this well before. Those of you attempting to rationalize this crime by comparing it to others that have happened are clueless, OJ Simpson.....REALLY????? We are not talking about an institution that did the right thing here and put a stop to it. Sandusky could have been tried, put away, and long forgot about by now had they did the right thing back when they initially found out about it. Instead they covered it up and now want to make excuses, still trying to cover it up to this day.

That's all well and good, but the fact remains, a bunch of folks are climbing on a moral high horse they can never hope to ride successfully.

It DOES matter that "crimes" have happened at other schools. To say, "THEIR crime is worse than OUR crime" starts the slippery slope to tilting.

I don't like--at all--what I am seeing in the report, or hearing on the PSU press conference. But even some of the Trustees that called for Paterno's ouster don't want to jump to rash decisions about how he is honored or remembered. As one said, nobody wants to be judged, nor should they be, by their worst action(s) alone. Everyone deserves to be reflected upon for their WHOLE "body of work".

We have to let the system continue to play out. If that means HUGE financial peanlties/payouts for PSU, great. But why , then, should OTHER PSU funds pay for that? Let the football program fund it. Let recruits decide whether they want to be a part of moving on, or that they would rather go elsewhere.

As to their remaining in the B1G, or facing NCAA review, it's out of our individual control.

You go read the report & get back to me.
If you're good with Iowa remaining a "partner" with PSU, well, then, I don't know what to tell you.

IOWA is but ONE member of the B1G. Believe it or not, YOUR personal opinion and moral superiority isn't the only consideration.

Please, please tell me you aren't this ignorant....please.

You keep talking about "criminal" conduct not covered under the NCAA jurisdiction, and for that you are correct.

But what you seem unable or unwilling to grasp is that we aren't talking about child rapes anymore. Those charges were tried and the child rapist monster was convicted.

Now what we're talking about are two things. First, the coverup of child rapes committed by a member (and then former member) of the football coaching staff and known by members of the athletic department. This coverup was done for the sole reason of preventing a complete public relations debacle for the athletic department and to keep the football moneytrain running on time. Second, the inability and ineptness of the leadership of the institution (namely the Board of Trustees) to CONTROL the actions and activites of the leadership of the athletic department (i.e. athletic director and head football coach) through policies, procedures and oversight and prevent this coverup from occurring.

That, my friend, is called Lack of Institutional Control and will ultimately lead to the death penalty for the Penn State football program.

Care to wager on this?

This isn't about a football program conspiracry. This is about a bunch of good ol' boys trying to cover up a heinous crime spree to protect a friend of theirs. It goes beyond the football program, beyond the athletic dept. It's a university issue, not an athletics issue.

The NCAA will find a bunch of little penalites to get PSU on, just like they would find at any program if they went over their program with a fine tooth comb. If you think the NCAA levels the death penalty at PSU you're out of your mind.

Freeh report: "There are more red flags here than you can count"

That may be. But some of those "flags" are on the investigative side.

Ask yourself why, if the investigation was so concerned with the legal process and interfering with the Sandusky and Curley, et. al, cases, it took from November until now to finish and produce the report? Pretty convenient that the Sandusky case is finished AND Paterno is gone. It almost causes one to wonder if the rest will now jump on the Paterno-made-us-all-do-it bandwagon. Kind of surprised it hasn't happened to this point.

JoePa made some terrible decisions. But ultimately, he was NOT the one to molest any kids, and from what we know, he didn't witness it first-hand. And it doesn't appear that McQueary, who DID witness it first hand, has figured into much of the investigations. Yet...he SAW the act! Why he is neither being heralded as a ghoul for not going to the cops, nor as a hero for bringing it to Paterno's attention? He seems to be the ONE person that could have shed the most light on an actual act of molestation...and yet...was he even a witness at the Sandusky trial?

Again, though, PSU giving up football takes away the mechanism that funds any payouts to victims or charities and places that burden on OTHER PSU resources that, presumably, were not involved.

I'm with treychase on this one, 100%.

NOBODY SEEMS TO CARE ABOUT OR REMEMBER THE VICTIMS.

**** penn state. Out they go, like the garbage they are.

That's a reach. Of COURSE we care about the victims. But the ONE way to penalize PSU most where it concerns the victims, i.e., financially, would be lost if they stopped football.

Why should the physics or chemistry department take a financial hit because of this?

Never said it was.
I'm saying I do not want Iowa associated with Penn St.
If you do, great.

Frankly, I could not care less. There would only be about 20 schools waiting in the wings should the B1G want to replace PSU to keep it at 12 members.

But since you begged the question, what schools and programs DO you want to be assoicated with Iowa?

i keep seeing you say this. PSU would still be apart of the NCAA, which iowa is also a member of. therefore they will be associated with PSU.

you mad?

I get his anger. I just think it's a bit misplaced, and smacks of moral superiority.

The B1G certainly should review PSUs membership. Then again, they've kept OSU around through multiple "issues", and other schools have had accused murderers, rapists, etc.

For all the folks clamoring for their ouster from the B1G, and I disagree for the most part, scheduling games and replacing PSU wouldn't be difficult. I would bet there are 20 schools that would jump at the chance to join the B1G.

Last edited:
i agree with you here bob. but i'm not going to boycott iowa because PSU remains part of the b1g. that's just ridiculous

That's a reach. Of COURSE we care about the victims. But the ONE way to penalize PSU most where it concerns the victims, i.e., financially, would be lost if they stopped football.

Why should the physics or chemistry department take a financial hit because of this?

You must have missed my post about penn state's endowment.
As of Sep 2011, it hit a record high of $1.83 billion. That's billion, with a "b".
Shutting down the criminally rogue football program would not deny any of the victims reparation. Not even close; the university is rolling in money.
I said above that I believe the psu football program should be terminated for at least two years, probably longer. I stand by my opinion.

You must have missed my post about penn state's endowment.
As of Sep 2011, it hit a record high of $1.83 billion. That's billion, with a "b".
Shutting down the criminally rogue football program would not deny any of the victims reparation. Not even close; the university is rolling in money.
I said above that I believe the psu football program should be terminated for at least two years, probably longer. I stand by my opinion.

You are entitled to that opinion.

If you had to guess: does B1G boot them?

Latest posts