Penn State should give up football for a period of time

The football program is the symbol of all of the pain that was caused on all those kids and a symbol of the clear cover up.

What they do about it, who knows. They might need the revenue to start paying down lawsuits.

I do think that the University should make the FB program pay any civil suit out of ticket sales.

"Shocking & callous disregard for child victims"
WE ARE PENN ST.

Jim Delany is a coward and a punk if he sits idly by and does nothing. Same for each university president at EVERY B1G school, including Sally Mason.

In my eyes, if these people in power, do nothing, I can no longer support Iowa or the B1G.

WE ARE PENN ST.

Jim Delany is a coward and a punk if he sits idly by and does nothing. Same for each university president at EVERY B1G school, including Sally Mason.

In my eyes, if these people in power, do nothing, I can no longer support Iowa or the B1G.

That's too bad. I'm sure you'll be missed.

Why should a whole football team have to be punish for something that involved NO football players and only involved coaches in a criminal matter, not a NCAA matter?I'm sure that question might be hard to answer for some of you. It's like saying that if Nick Saban murders his whole family the football team should be punished just as well. And if we are just going to connect two random dots together I'm going to quit speeding cause god forbid since I'm a hawkeye fan that our football team should have to lose scholarships just because.

I guess my question for you would be did Saban commit these crimes within the facilities of Alabama? Were these crimes committed over an excruciating length of time with the knowledgeable of top university officials? Did Saban use the football facilities as his playground for murder, knowing that top university officials would do nothing to stop him? Was there a cover up by the university with the one goal of keeping the football money machine in tact?

Sandusky wasn't part of the football program

If you're going to make dumb comments at least know the facts. Sandusky was on staff in 1999 for Penn State.

Sandusky could also potentially face federal charges for molesting boys at both the 1999 Alamo Bowl in San Antonio and the 1999 Outback Bowl in Tampa. Although these were spelled out in the state indictment, federal authorities have jurisdiction over any crime that crosses a state line.[73] Although federal investigators appear to be focusing their probe on a possible cover-up of Sandusky's crimes by officials at Penn State, it would not be double jeopardy to bring charges against Sandusky himself.[74] Officials in San Antonio are conducting a probe of the 1999 Alamo Bowl case, and Sandusky could potentially face charges there; again, it would not be double jeopardy for him to be charged in Texas.[75]

His final game coaching at Penn State was a notable game for Sandusky. Penn State faced Texas A&M in the 1999 Alamo Bowl in San Antonio, Texas. The Nittany Lions' defense shut out Texas A&M, 24–0, the only bowl game shutout victory for Penn State under Paterno. Sandusky was recognized in ways usually reserved for a head coach. He was doused with a water bucket and carried to the center of the field on the shoulders of his players.[20]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Sandusky

The Penn State disaster is almost beyond belief. The lawsuits are just beginning. The institution should make a statement about the evil involved and voluntarily give up football for a period of time. I don't know what the correct time period should be, but it sure seems like the right thing to do.

I think at least two years would be a proper "cleansing period". Dissolve it, purge the sickness and evil that surrounds the program, and then start over after 2-3 years.

Unfortunately, it will never happen because too many people have been getting too rich for too long off of the football program, but it's interesting to discuss nonetheless.

I used to think that calls for Penn State to give up football or for the B1G to suspend or kick PSU out of the conference were extreme over-reaction. Hearing the testimony at the Sandusky trial and now reading the Freeh report, I no longer feel that.

Penn State leadership was corrupt in dealing with the repeated abuse of young boys, all in the name of not tarnishing the university's and the football program's reputation. In view of the record financial support raised from donors in the first six months of this year, likely as a response to the ongoing negative publicity from the Sandusky case, and the lack of contrition on the part of the current university leadership, it is clear the message has not been received in Happy Valley.

I hope national sports media, and especially those within the region covered by the B1G, will now begin calling for the conference to expel Penn State, for Penn State to drop football for a period of time and for other sanctions to be imposed. The presidents and governing boards of the member universities also need to raise their voices: dump Penn State.

Last edited:
I used to think that calls for Penn State to give up football or for the B1G to suspend or kick PSU out of the conference were extreme over-reaction. Hearing the testimony at the Sandusky trial and now reading the Freeh report, I no longer feel that.

Penn State leadership was corrupt in dealing with the repeated abuse of young boys, all in the name of not tarnishing the university's and the football program's reputation. In view of the record financial support raised from donors in the first six months of this year, likely as a response to the ongoing negative publicity from the Sandusky case, and the lack of contrition on the part of the current university leadership, it is clear the message has not been received in Happy Valley.

I hope national sports media, and especially those within the region covered by the B1G, will now begin calling for the conference to expel Penn State, for Penn State to drop football for a period of time and for other sanctions to be imposed. The presidents and governing boards of the member universities also need to raise their voices: dump Penn State.

Someone here "gets it".

Agree with this 100%. Well said.

Sally Mason is a coward if she does nothing. Same for the other presidents.

One of them HAS TO stand up now and say...we're no longer associating with PSU. we're not playing them in anything, etc.

Shutting down the Penn State Football program.... another emotional response.

That would also shut down all the non-revenue generating sports at Penn State (like wrestling) as football is the financial engine that drives them all.

How is that fair to all the athletes, coaches and administrators for those sports?

If the NCAA doesn't step in and whack them with a LOIC charge I'd be shocked. But, then again, it is the NCAA we are talking about.

WE ARE PENN ST.

Yet, you can support the NCAA and other conferences? Where does the line stop for personal responsibility?

Listen, what happened at Penn State is a tragedy, but there are processes in place to deal with what happened. People are being tried in court. Lawsuits will persist and settlements and penalties will be paid out to victims.

The truth is simple here, you can never, ever repay for these types of crimes. Send people jail, pay penalties, shut down football...keep pushing the envelope as far as you want, but it will never undo the pain and suffering that people experienced. Even suspending PSU football...which is probably the proper mechanism for the university to use to help fund the payouts anyway.

Don't let them play nonconference games just like Baylor basketball got a few years ago. Giving them the death penalty is just going to screw up B10 scheduling and no one wants that, uneven divisions just don't work.

No, I support the Iowa Hawkeyes who have nothing to do with that PSU mess. Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.

You support a school, that if it does nothing, HELPS PSU recover and associates itself with.

Would you support your neighbor if he did this? Ignore it? Have him over for family gatherings and bbq's? Help him straighten his life out?

This is not a difficult issue.
You are either pro child rape or you are not.

Don't let them play nonconference games just like Baylor basketball got a few years ago. Giving them the death penalty is just going to screw up B10 scheduling and no one wants that, uneven divisions just don't work.

You're worried about scheduling?

My goodness!

Yet, you can support the NCAA and other conferences? Where does the line stop for personal responsibility?

Listen, what happened at Penn State is a tragedy, but there are processes in place to deal with what happened. People are being tried in court. Lawsuits will persist and settlements and penalties will be paid out to victims.

The truth is simple here, you can never, ever repay for these types of crimes. Send people jail, pay penalties, shut down football...keep pushing the envelope as far as you want, but it will never undo the pain and suffering that people experienced. Even suspending PSU football...which is probably the proper mechanism for the university to use to help fund the payouts anyway.

I don't want repaid.
I want PSU out of the B1G and not associated with the University of Iowa in any way.
Every minute Iowa is associated with PSU is a minute too long.

Latest posts