Pelini fired

. You're right - Iowa and Nebraska are total opposites. Iowa is built with ethics, values and integrity. Nebraska's is exposing its arrogance, shallowness and greed. When I look at the Ferentz body of work, I see former players succeed in life, substantial financial contributions from the Ferentzs to UI Children's Hospital, player development, a positive and successful football program, and a man at the center epitomizes the highest sense of integrity. Get seven wins a year - and bring all the rest of that - then I am proud as hell to have him at the helm of my alma mater's football program!

BEIAR005.JPG

Meanwhile, Kurt is trying to figure out clock management in Year #16. But, as he says, "football is interesting."

I tailgated with a bunch of Nebraska folks on Friday and was completely blown away by their perceptions of reality. They still think Nebraska is a top 5 football school nationally, they think Nebraska should dominate Iowa every single year they play them, they think Nebraska recruits better than any other team in the Big Ten.

I was basically speechless. Nebraska hasn't really been relevant on a national stage since before most high school kids were even born. What high school division 1 recruit looks at Nebraska the same way they look at Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon...even Wisconsin? Unless you're from the state of Nebraska...nobody does.

Nebraska is on the same playing field right now as teams like Iowa and Minnesota. Its a tough sell. The problem, however, is the fans and donors think Nebraska should always compete for national titles, and that just isn't the case anymore with the current college football landscape.

Firing Pelini was a HUGE mistake. Who is going to come in there and instantly give the team more than 9 wins a season?

This. Unless you live around here, most don't understand. It's Delusion. Well, I think they'll get there wish next year and not win Just 9 games.....but not the way they think.

. You're right - Iowa and Nebraska are total opposites. Iowa is built with ethics, values and integrity. Nebraska's is exposing its arrogance, shallowness and greed. When I look at the Ferentz body of work, I see former players succeed in life, substantial financial contributions from the Ferentzs to UI Children's Hospital, player development, a positive and successful football program, and a man at the center epitomizes the highest sense of integrity. Get seven wins a year - and bring all the rest of that - then I am proud as hell to have him at the helm of my alma mater's football program!

WHAT!

I liked Pelini staying at nebby. He was good (easy) for us to directly recruit against. He pushed the arrogant big red fans. His antics were fun to watch from afar....aaand he was beatable...just not by us (dang, why couldn't we have won Friday so it would at least appear that we brought such frustration to be the final straw)!

You forgot some of the scandals starting with Loftin from day one.

That's NOT why you keep a coach. That's PLAYING NOT TO LOSE, something we should recognize quicker than anyone else.

I agree, the fact still remains,they are firing a guy who won 9 games a season and they have to compete with the big boys for coaches. Nebraska ,its not the old Big 8 anymore where only you and Okie fought it out. You are closer to Iowa than Ohio State. Your revenue bears this out. I hope they hire the next Callahan.

I think the real reason they canned him is he's an embarrassment. Horrible PR guy. At least KF is likable and a stand up person despite being a mediocre coach.

I agree, the fact still remains,they are firing a guy who won 9 games a season and they have to compete with the big boys for coaches. Nebraska ,its not the old Big 8 anymore where only you and Okie fought it out. You are closer to Iowa than Ohio State. Your revenue bears this out. I hope they hire the next Callahan.

I think the real reason they canned him is he's an embarrassment. Horrible PR guy. At least KF is likable and a stand up person despite being a mediocre coach.

WE'll have to agree to disagree. The saintliness factor has been replaced with the greed and pettiness factor in my book.

Losers mentality. Seriously, it's wonderful that Kirk donates money to charity; he can certainly afford it. I suspect most head FB coaches in his income bracket do the same so I doubt he's an outlier there. Nick Saban has his own charitable foundation for example. Personally, I really could not care less about that on Saturday. Put a good product on the field that is worth watching not the middling crap he's been giving us for years on end.

Yeah,I am shocked. They hold coaches to a standard. But who do they get? Run at Bielema. Not a good time to compete with Michigan,and Florida for a top coach and they are going to want a NAME.

Well you sure as Hell don't pucker up and go suck your thumb. If we intend to want to play with these big boys then don't be afraid of firing Kirk. We're all ******, we don't want Kirk so don't allow fear to take over and allow this mutiny to happen. Fire the guy and lets try something else, it sure as heck can't be any worse than 7-5 with sickening losses and an invitation to The Foster Farms bowl.

I don't see what is so hard to understand. Nebraska has top notch facilities, a sold out stadium with fans that spend money and they have EXPECTATIONS. Those expectations start with a BIG title. Pelini has not won a BIG title in 7 years. Nebraska finds that unacceptable and they believe their fans deserve better. The fans that show up to every game and travel all over the Midwest for road games.
This is the attitude that the Iowa AD should have as well. 10 years is far to long to retain a coach who has not won a BIG title. Even if the next hire is a disaster and the next one after that is too. Not TRYING to hire a coach that wins BIG titles is the bigger failure. IMO.

And quite honestly I want a coach to push the envelope on all areas. We can take pride in doing it Kirks way but he's proven that this will only get you to that 7-9 win threshold. I want a little sliminess to the next head coach. I want Bret and his ****** personality. I'd take Tressel and his antics. Heck, I'd settle for Bobby Petrino cause quite frankly I want to win and go to the next level. The ole cliche of "If you ain't cheat in' you ain't trying" might be right. Now I don't condone any player rolling around IC in a Mercedes but I'll take a little shadiness to get a 5 star recruit to come here.

I'm ready to move on from Kirk too but Nebraska's delusion that they'll again be a national power has nothing to do with our situation.
This exactly. Nebby is never going back to the 70s-90s. They're not in a weak Big8. They're not going to get as many Tex/OK recruits because they're not playing Tex/OK. The Texas recruits they got in their hey-day are now going to TCU, A&M, Baylor so they can play Tex/OK.

Pelini got himself fired because he's a jerk and runs everything with an iron fist. Nine wins a year is going to wear out your welcome.

KF has a velvet glove touch to the mucky-mucks behind the scenes. Seven wins a year is going to be Goldilocks with those people.

I feel pretty confident this is a bad move by Nebby.

But as others have eluded to, this had a lot to do with being a bad representative of the University. If Bo wasn't a ****** towards his players, officials an just in general, he'd still be there.

Latest posts