Pelini fired

My Husker friends say they want Pat Nardusky from MSU. That could happen. Break up MSU's staff like Christ did at Wiscy.

So sick of Iowa Football, I need to get off this board for awhile all it does is **** me off.

Great job Kfed you blew a third quarter lead at home to a guy who was on his way out the door, horrible, horrible, horrible...

Nebraska just earned more respect from me.

Here's a program willing to take a chance on getting a better coach and better results instead of sitting on your hands and living with the status quo.

Get busy living, or get busy dying...(Rough Shawshank reference).

Please don't compare Nebraska's recruiting challenges to Iowa's. They recruit based on 5 national titles since 1970.

Nebraska hasn't won a National Title since 1997 and hasn't won a conference title in like 14 years. Every single kid in high school today in this country has never ever seen Nebraska win a national title and probably doesn't remember Nebraska even winning a conference Title. Heck, if you want to live 20 years ago, lets just go back to 1956 and 1958 Iowa won 2 Rose Bowls. Nebraska has no talent in their state and has just as tough of a recruiting sell (Midwest= COLD) as does Iowa.

Please don't compare Nebraska's recruiting challenges to Iowa's. They recruit based on 5 national titles since 1970.

The last of which came about the time current recruits were born. Facilities, atmosphere, a top coach, playing time and a big stage is what recruits want. Most 17-18 yr olds don't give a rat's azz what happened 20 years ago.

Please don't compare Nebraska's recruiting challenges to Iowa's. They recruit based on 5 national titles before 1998.

Fixed it for you.

1998 would be about when most recruits they are starting to go after now were born.

The only people that still think Nebraska has any kind of a 'name' in college football are over the age of 40.

There has never been a more obvious sign that Iowa is a second-rate program than this.
Maybe it's more (with KF's tenure) an indication of how long the Iowa fan base will put up with mediocrity... as opposed to how long Nebraska's fan base will put up with their supposed mediocrity. Last season's tussle between Pelini and some boosters probably spilled over to this season..

I tailgated with a bunch of Nebraska folks on Friday and was completely blown away by their perceptions of reality. They still think Nebraska is a top 5 football school nationally, they think Nebraska should dominate Iowa every single year they play them, they think Nebraska recruits better than any other team in the Big Ten.

I was basically speechless. Nebraska hasn't really been relevant on a national stage since before most high school kids were even born. What high school division 1 recruit looks at Nebraska the same way they look at Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon...even Wisconsin? Unless you're from the state of Nebraska...nobody does.

Nebraska is on the same playing field right now as teams like Iowa and Minnesota. Its a tough sell. The problem, however, is the fans and donors think Nebraska should always compete for national titles, and that just isn't the case anymore with the current college football landscape.

Firing Pelini was a HUGE mistake. Who is going to come in there and instantly give the team more than 9 wins a season?

BP's buyout is $7.65 million
KF's buyout is $13.3 million.

BP embarrassed the program/university last year by basically daring the university to fire him.
KF has never done that to my knowledge.

So, I'd surmise the 'reasons' behind the firing were certainly more than his record.

Yeah,I am shocked. They hold coaches to a standard. But who do they get? Run at Bielema. Not a good time to compete with Michigan,and Florida for a top coach and they are going to want a NAME.

That's NOT why you keep a coach. That's PLAYING NOT TO LOSE, something we should recognize quicker than anyone else.

I tailgated with a bunch of Nebraska folks on Friday and was completely blown away by their perceptions of reality. They still think Nebraska is a top 5 football school nationally, they think Nebraska should dominate Iowa every single year they play them, they think Nebraska recruits better than any other team in the Big Ten.

I was basically speechless. Nebraska hasn't really been relevant on a national stage since before most high school kids were even born. What high school division 1 recruit looks at Nebraska the same way they look at Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon...even Wisconsin? Unless you're from the state of Nebraska...nobody does.

Nebraska is on the same playing field right now as teams like Iowa and Minnesota. Its a tough sell. The problem, however, is the fans and donors think Nebraska should always compete for national titles, and that just isn't the case anymore with the current college football landscape.

Firing Pelini was a HUGE mistake. Who is going to come in there and instantly give the team more than 9 wins a season?

They recruit better than anyone in the division.

BP's buyout is $7.65 million
KF's buyout is $13.3 million.

BP embarrassed the program/university last year by basically daring the university to fire him.
KF has never done that to my knowledge.

So, I'd surmise the 'reasons' behind the firing were certainly more than his record.

This. Pelini has been a big embarrassment to the proud Nebraska program and fans. He wasn't surviving unless he won the B1G.

What a difference in two programs expectation. 9-3, 62-27 in 7 seasons, wins 9 games every year and teams comes from way behind to win on the road vs . Iowa = Fired.

7-5 vs one of the easiest scheduled in Big history and looking bad doing most of the year and Iowa wouldn't dream of moving on.

these schools football programs have little in common
. You're right - Iowa and Nebraska are total opposites. Iowa is built with ethics, values and integrity. Nebraska's is exposing its arrogance, shallowness and greed. When I look at the Ferentz body of work, I see former players succeed in life, substantial financial contributions from the Ferentzs to UI Children's Hospital, player development, a positive and successful football program, and a man at the center epitomizes the highest sense of integrity. Get seven wins a year - and bring all the rest of that - then I am proud as hell to have him at the helm of my alma mater's football program!

Latest posts