Pelini fired

And quite honestly I want a coach to push the envelope on all areas. We can take pride in doing it Kirks way but he's proven that this will only get you to that 7-9 win threshold. I want a little sliminess to the next head coach. I want Bret and his ****** personality. I'd take Tressel and his antics. Heck, I'd settle for Bobby Petrino cause quite frankly I want to win and go to the next level. The ole cliche of "If you ain't cheat in' you ain't trying" might be right. Now I don't condone any player rolling around IC in a Mercedes but I'll take a little shadiness to get a 5 star recruit to come here.

You will also asking for the NCAA to be breathing down our neck. We're exactly the type of program they love to make an example of to show they do their job. They won't touch the Alabamas and Ohio States of the world. I want to win ,but we don't need to go down that path to do it.

How about Keenan Davis, Brandon Scherff, Mike Hardy, Rodney Coe, Jordan Walsh........should I go on or is that enough instances of your being wrong?
Davis, Scherff and Wegher were all in-state players. Coe never actually enrolled at Iowa, so he doesn't count. Hardy was not seriously pursued by them. Maybe Walsh. So that's one.

Please don't compare Nebraska's recruiting challenges to Iowa's. They recruit based on 5 national titles since 1970.

And the last of those 5 was in 1997. Do the math. Any kid they are recruiting now was born right around that year. If you think kids now are going to schools who last won titles in the 1990's, why aren't they flocking to Tennessee or Michigan or Florida?

While I'm not pleased we don't get the 4-star and 5-star kids now, don't think that a national championship or top ten rating in the '90s is something kids think about today when being recruited.

Maybe it's more (with KF's tenure) an indication of how long the Iowa fan base will put up with mediocrity... as opposed to how long Nebraska's fan base will put up with their supposed mediocrity. Last season's tussle between Pelini and some boosters probably spilled over to this season..

This. Ferentz hasn't done some of the stupid things to alienate boosters that Pelini did on a regular basis... and NO, losing games isn't a stupid thing. But saying you don't care about the fans to a reporter and saying you don't care about a beloved football hero of lore in an interview is stupid. An analogy would be if Kirk said in an interview he doesn't care about what Chuck Long thinks. Kirk truly may not care what Chuck thinks, but he'd NEVER say that to any media outlet.

Last edited:
every major contributor returning? Yeah, except Abdullah, Bell, probably Gregory, both Corners, and two starting LBs. But they weren't really contributors I guess.Their schedule is similar, sure, but Miami will be a tough ooc game.They might be better than Iowa, sure. But we might only win 6-7 games. So what's that saying.
Abdullah was hurt the whole 2nd half of the year, and they have depth and talent at RB. Gregory missed several games and was playing out of position as a DE in a 4-3. His numbers were very pedestrian this year. Bell killed us and will be a loss. Their D returns just as much as ours does, and neither were very good to begin with. They'll be just fine.

Davis, Scherff and Wegher were all in-state players. Coe never actually enrolled at Iowa, so he doesn't count. Hardy was not seriously pursued by them. Maybe Walsh. So that's one.
Dude......YOU"RE WRONG. Just admit it and move on. It happens to all of us.

Losers mentality. Seriously, it's wonderful that Kirk donates money to charity; he can certainly afford it. I suspect most head FB coaches in his income bracket do the same so I doubt he's an outlier there. Nick Saban has his own charitable foundation for example. Personally, I really could not care less about that on Saturday. Put a good product on the field that is worth watching not the middling crap he's been giving us for years on end.

OK. So, to review:

Sidecarcoach wants a program where players actually do graduate with real degrees and are successful; a program that develops young men that we can be proud of.

You want a coach who is willing to lie, cheat and steal in order to get into the top echelon of winning programs in the nation; and as soon as the current players are recruited over or use up their eligibility we should toss them aside and not care about them any longer.

Got it.

Abdullah was hurt the whole 2nd half of the year, and they have depth and talent at RB. Gregory missed several games and was playing out of position as a DE in a 4-3. His numbers were very pedestrian this year. Bell killed us and will be a loss. Their D returns just as much as ours does, and neither were very good to begin with. They'll be just fine.

Abdullah and Bell are all time leaders in the history of their program. There is a huge drop off after Abdullah. Their Def will be ok, probably.

They may be fine but they lose 2 All Time players in one year. They are closer to Iowa than their fans wanna admit.

I think Iowa will be better next year, but I'm crazy.

Losers mentality. Seriously, it's wonderful that Kirk donates money to charity; he can certainly afford it. I suspect most head FB coaches in his income bracket do the same so I doubt he's an outlier there. Nick Saban has his own charitable foundation for example. Personally, I really could not care less about that on Saturday. Put a good product on the field that is worth watching not the middling crap he's been giving us for years on end.

http://www.td4wbutton.com

My statement was not so much as "head to head" recruiting, as to just general recruiting of the Nebraska region, where they didn't get every top recruit that they wanted. Those that may have shunned Nebby because of pelini and his staff.

In particular, and I don't pretend to know the circumstances, Drew Ott is from the middle of Nebraska. And we have 1 or 2 from the Omaha and SoDak areas. We'll never know the extent, but I also might add that they too haven't taken much from our back yard either.

Drew Ott was recruited by Nebraska but they didn't offer; Kansas State did offer him, though.
Nebraska also recruited but didn't offer Nate Meier, Cole Fisher, Nathan Bazata, Aaron Mends.
Nebraska recruited and offered Brandon Scherff, Jay Scheel.

There may be more, but this was on a quick search on Rivals.

This was my worst nightmare :(. I was hoping if they beat us on Friday at least they would keep Pelini. I'm afraid they are about to awake a sleeping giant. They beat us AND they will get rid of their mediocre coach :mad:

Nebraska hasn't won a National Title since 1997 and hasn't won a conference title in like 14 years. Every single kid in high school today in this country has never ever seen Nebraska win a national title and probably doesn't remember Nebraska even winning a conference Title. Heck, if you want to live 20 years ago, lets just go back to 1956 and 1958 Iowa won 2 Rose Bowls. Nebraska has no talent in their state and has just as tough of a recruiting sell (Midwest= COLD) as does Iowa.

During recruiting visits they can walk a 4 or 5 star player into a room with 5 National Championship trophies and say, "We want you to help us regain this status."

During a visit to Iowa we can't even show a recruit the friggin' Cy-Hawk trophy more often than not.

This idea that kids today know nothing about football history only applies to the kids not good enough to play football beyond high school. The elite recruits that know they will get many places to choose from when it comes to college just have to hop on the internet and look at the programs with a real national tradition and the programs like Iowa that just pretend to.

During recruiting visits they can walk a 4 or 5 star player into a room with 5 National Championship trophies and say, "We want you to help us regain this status."

During a visit to Iowa we can't even show a recruit the friggin' Cy-Hawk trophy more often than not.

This idea that kids today know nothing about football history only applies to the kids not good enough to play football beyond high school. The elite recruits that know they will get many places to choose from when it comes to college just have to hop on the internet and look at the programs with a real national tradition and the programs like Iowa that just pretend to.

Good news. During the Wisky and Debby games we had lots of recruits at the games. Kirk showed them our empty trophy case, then he smiled and said with a wink, "Guys, there's no where to go but up! Jump on board before I have to give your scholarship to a walk-on." Then he handed each of them a Snickers bar. Now ESPN is reporting that Iowa has committed a recruiting violation.;)

Abdullah and Bell are all time leaders in the history of their program. There is a huge drop off after Abdullah. Their Def will be ok, probably.

They may be fine but they lose 2 All Time players in one year. They are closer to Iowa than their fans wanna admit.

I think Iowa will be better next year, but I'm crazy.

But not insane.....

:cool:

Comparisons between Iowa and Nebraska are ridiculous.....

The Nebraska Cornhuskers represent the University of Nebraska–Lincoln in college football. The program has established itself as a traditional powerhouse, and has the fourth most all-time victories of any NCAA FBS team and is one of only eleven football programs in NCAA Division I history to win 800 or more games.[SUP][4][/SUP] The Cornhuskers have the most wins and the highest winning percentage of any college football program over the last 50 years.[SUP][5][/SUP] ESPN ranks two undefeated Nebraska squads (the 1971 team and the 1995 team) among the top three teams in college football history.[SUP][6][/SUP]
On June 11, 2010, Nebraska ended the university's affiliation with the Big 12 Conference and joined the Big Ten Conference beginning in the 2011 season.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP][SUP][9][/SUP] Nebraska claims 46 conference championships[SUP][10][/SUP] and five national championships: 1970, 1971, 1994, 1995, and 1997. The titles in the 1990s marked the first time since Notre Dame in 1946-49 when a team won three national championships in four seasons. The 2011-2012 Alabama Crimson Tide, the 1994-1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers, and the 1956-1957 Oklahoma Sooners have the only consensus back-to-back national titles by Division 1-A schools.

Oh the days of Johnny Rogers and jerry taggie(?) (and Greg Pruitt from Okla); I was pretty young, but remember those Thanksgiving Day matchups....and that One of them returned a punt or kick off return for a TD (?), I think.

What years was something Glover and Rodger Craig there? 80s

@LostLettermen: Intrigued by Jerry Kill - Nebraska rumors. Seems like natural fit but considering how good Minnesota has been to him, can't see him leaving.

fwiw..can't see that myself

I tailgated with a bunch of Nebraska folks on Friday and was completely blown away by their perceptions of reality. They still think Nebraska is a top 5 football school nationally, they think Nebraska should dominate Iowa every single year they play them, they think Nebraska recruits better than any other team in the Big Ten.

I was basically speechless. Nebraska hasn't really been relevant on a national stage since before most high school kids were even born. What high school division 1 recruit looks at Nebraska the same way they look at Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon...even Wisconsin? Unless you're from the state of Nebraska...nobody does.

Nebraska is on the same playing field right now as teams like Iowa and Minnesota. Its a tough sell. The problem, however, is the fans and donors think Nebraska should always compete for national titles, and that just isn't the case anymore with the current college football landscape.

Firing Pelini was a HUGE mistake. Who is going to come in there and instantly give the team more than 9 wins a season?

You should see threads about Bo on reddit. Many Husker fans are completely delusional.

Abdullah and Bell are all time leaders in the history of their program. There is a huge drop off after Abdullah. Their Def will be ok, probably.They may be fine but they lose 2 All Time players in one year. They are closer to Iowa than their fans wanna admit.I think Iowa will be better next year, but I'm crazy.
Too bad you don't follow Iowa as closely as you do Nebraska. We also lose 2 all-time players in program history (Weisman, #6 all-time rusher, #3 in TDs, as well as Scherff). Of course, with our depth of remaining talent, those significant losses won't be felt as much as 2 guys that missed significant time for Nebraska this year.

Latest posts