** Official White Sox Regular Season Thread**

JHHawk

Ok,quit chuckling. I know I am late with this,but I was in mourning over the Bulls first round flameout for a couple of weeks....but now that the Chicago Basketball season is truly over,it is time to turn my full attention to the best baseball team in town..(ok, admittedly tallest midget), the Chicago White Sox.

Here on May 21,the Sox sit at 21-21,second place,2.5 games behind the Cleveland Indians. The division favorite Tigers are .5 games behind the Sox. KC and Twins languish further back.

So, at the quarter pole mark of the season, the Tigers have underachieved,the Tribe are playing better than expected and the Sox are a bit better than expected.

As usual,the Sox offense has been miserable the first 30 games of the year,but solid starting pitching and an ok bullpen has kept them afloat. The last week or so,the Sox offense has shown signs of life beyond star Paul Konerko and the resurgent slugger Adam Dunn.

Young Cuban strongman,appropriately nicknamed ''Tank'' Viciedo, is on a tear during that last week or so. He has 4 homers in his last 7 games,with some good RBI numbers as well...hitting like .480 over that stretch.

Gordon Beckham had two big homers vs the Cubs this weekend,one a gamewinner in the 8th inning of a 3-2 victory on Friday. He had a horrible April,but has been hitting better in May at a modest .260 with 4 homers and 11 rbis in his last 20 games. But has a great glove at second base which keeps him in that lineup everyday.

Dunn,Konerko,Pierzynski and leadoff man DeAza have been the most consistent hitters all season,and with Beckham,Tank, and Rios chipping in...the Sox might have just enough offense to get by.

Starting pitching has been solid,with Chris Sale,Jake Peavy,Gavin Floyd and Humber pretty decent,altho John Danks has struggled. Danks,Humber and Peavy were good this weekend,tho,so maybe it will get even better.

Bullpen has been erratic,with some major blown leads(at least 3-4) that have kept the Sox from actually being in first place.
But, they have 4 rookies out there,so I guess that is to be expected.

In Nate Jones,Addison Reed,Hector Santiago,and Zach Steward,they have some power arms that seem to be coming on strong. Thornton,the highest paid veteran out there,has not been consistent,and Jesse Crain,the best righty out there, has missed almost a month with a pulled ab muscle which really killed the Sox...he is now back.

Overall, the Sox are in decent position to make some noise.
This week they get the Twins and Tribe at home,which makes it a big week. They could be in first place by the end of the week or be back in the pack again,depending on how they go vs these divisional rivals.

Sox have played very poorly at home the last two seasons..which is weird. Now is the time to turn that around.

Sox were picked for 4th behind the Tigers,Tribe,Royals...so if they can actually challenge into september...good showing. Long way to go,and they are fragile,but hope springs eternal,right? Go Sox!

The AL Central is pretty weak so anyone (except for probably the Twins) could win that division.

How is Frank Thomas doing? I haven't followed the Sox much but he was the best.

I saw some weird field of dreams thing yesterday where a bunch of old hall of famers played some normal dudes in a baseball game (apparently it was a prize given by Pepsi Max)

Frank Thomas is bigger now than when he played. I've always been a huge Cubs fan but I've always loved the Big Hurt.

The Big Hurt is doing postgame work on Comcast Sportsnet for Sox games. Doing well...just waiting to get on the ballot for the HOF in a couple of years,when he will be certainly voted in immediately.

I wanted to gauge the interest in the Sox on here,so glad this was not a complete waste of time. Go Sox!

Huge ChiSox fan..

...this weekend proved it's pretty easy to be the best team in Chicago right now.

The ALC is weak, so the Sox have a chance.. so long as the pitching maintains and the bats don't wilt like they do so often for the Sox..

The Big Hurt is doing postgame work on Comcast Sportsnet for Sox games. Doing well...just waiting to get on the ballot for the HOF in a couple of years,when he will be certainly voted in immediately.

I wanted to gauge the interest in the Sox on here,so glad this was not a complete waste of time. Go Sox!

Cub fan here but The Big Hurt needs to be in the HoF, first ballot.

Cub fan here but The Big Hurt needs to be in the HoF, first ballot.

The final poster to come off my wall was Thomas looking all huge with his arms crossed, and under that it said "The two biggest weapons in baseball."

edit: found it.

$(KGrHqZHJFUE91-s7eVEBPkw8uq8mw~~60_58.JPG

The Sox aren't great this year, but the central is pretty bad, so I concur they could have a shot, but I'm sure something will happen (AJ or Paulie goes down for an extended period or pitching implodes) and they will end up a few games under .500 and in third place in the division. They do have just enough arms though, that if they can sneak into the playoffs and get hot at the right time, they could make some noise, but I just don't see it this year.

Frank Thomas was fun to watch. He will be a HOFer. This was a pic from Paul Sullivan this weekend.

The Big Hot! :)

11783_439254102753550_110242065654757_1532182_1708399245_n.jpg

I like how a White Sox fan is filled mostly with Cubs fans and a Cardinals fans trolling the Cubs.

Nice photo...actually a very nice change from the normal May winter weather in Wrigley...coldest place on earth in April and May generally...then this year 90 degrees! Amazing.

Nice photo...actually a very nice change from the normal May winter weather in Wrigley...coldest place on earth in April and May generally...then this year 90 degrees! Amazing.

No crap about Wrigley. I went to a game a few weeks ago. That morning I was out on my balcony reading the paper in shorts and a long sleeved t-shirt. I tossed on jeans, a sweatshirt and my winter coat (with stocking cap and gloves in the pockets). Sat in the UD at Wrigley and had to leave after a few innings. The inside of that park is 20-25 degrees cooler than everything else in Chicago in the spring. It's weird because it can be 40 degrees and it feels colder in Wrigley than it does at Soldier when it's 20 degrees. Of course, you do dress a little warmer for Bears games.

Latest posts