Brendan Sullivan Commits to Hawkeyes

Welcomed news for sure.

Other than being thin at WR, I'd say this is the best offensive roster Iowa has had in what, a decade? Two experienced QBs and a young QB with mobility, an OL with a ton of starts under their belts, All-American candidate at TE, good stable of RBs, and an OC not named Ferentz or Davis.

Why, this offensive could be darn right average if things fall into place. Can you even imagine? An average offense? Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Welcomed news for sure.

Other than being thin at WR, I'd say this is the best offensive roster Iowa has had in what, a decade? Two experienced QBs and a young QB with mobility, an OL with a ton of starts under their belts, All-American candidate at TE, good stable of RBs, and an OC not named Ferentz or Davis.

Why, this offensive could be darn right average if things fall into place. Can you even imagine? An average offense? Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.
Aren't you being a little unrealistic with "average"? Maybe "not terrible" or "can stomach watching" are more realistic goals.

Welcomed news for sure.

This roster cannot even sniff the high-end talent of 2019. Players from the offensive side that year that were NFL-caliber or borderline NFL-caliber:

Stanley
Mekhi Sargent
Tyler Goodson
Coy Cronk (but never healthy)
Cole Banwart (practice squad guy)
Tyler Linderbaum
Mark Kallenberger (an NFL player if he wanted to continue with FB)
Cody Ince (all-B1G caliber before injuries)
Tristan Wirfs
Alaric Jackson
Tyrone Tracy, Jr.
ISM
Brandon Smith
Charlie Jones
Shaun Beyer (practice squad guy)
Sam LaPorta

Our offense from 2017 - 2019 was around 40th - 50th in the nation by efficiency metrics (we have been well over 100 recently). Looking at that talent, some of which was never even utilized by Iowa (e.g. Charlie Jones, Tyrone Tracy), it seems like we should have been much better.

The biggest difference with the current roster: where are the future NFL starters on the OL? That team had 3 in Wirfs, Linderbaum, and Jackson (and I think Kallenberger could have been a 4th). I don't know if this team has a single future NFL starter.

The development and recruiting of quarterbacks since Nate Stanley has been atrocious. A further indictment can be made based on what we see from Joey Labbas at Central Michigan and Petras at Utah St.

I’m going to regurgitate what everyone else is saying…let Sullivan compete with McNamara for the starting job. You just can’t anoint CM.

This roster cannot even sniff the high-end talent of 2019. Players from the offensive side that year that were NFL-caliber or borderline NFL-caliber:

Stanley
Mekhi Sargent
Tyler Goodson
Tyler Linderbaum
Tristan Wirfs
Alaric Jackson
Tyrone Tracy, Jr.
ISM
Brandon Smith
Charlie Jones
Sam LaPorta

Our offense from 2017 - 2019 was around 40th - 50th in the nation by efficiency metrics (we have been well over 100 recently). Looking at that talent, some of which was never even utilized by Iowa (e.g. Charlie Jones, Tyrone Tracy), it seems like we should have been much better.

The biggest difference with the current roster: where are the future NFL starters on the OL? That team had 3 in Wirfs, Linderbaum, and Jackson (and I think Kallenberger could have been a 4th). I don't know if this team has a single future NFL starter.

Tyrone Tracy was a 5th round pick at running back, Charlie Jones was a 3rd round pick at wide receiver…it is just frustrating to look at that list of names and wonder why they couldn’t figure out how to be more productive on offense.

Stanley
Mekhi Sargent
Tyler Goodson
Tyler Linderbaum
Tristan Wirfs
Alaric Jackson
Tyrone Tracy, Jr.
ISM
Brandon Smith
Charlie Jones
Sam LaPorta

Thank you for typing this for me cause it’s exactly what I was thinking.

My hope of an improved offense rests mostly in Tim Lester. If he’s a good OC and quarterback coach then we should be much better. After that I go back to the oline where I still have major concerns. We have the same oline and the same oline coach and that’s concerning.

Welcomed news for sure.

I'm not falling for it. This offense with these O line players have finished in the bottom of the NCAA rankings the past 3 yrs. They have a lot to improve on to get under 90. Will have to see to believe.

Tyrone Tracy was a 5th round pick at running back, Charlie Jones was a 3rd round pick at wide receiver…it is just frustrating to look at that list of names and wonder why they couldn’t figure out how to be more productive on offense.
Tyrone tracy was given every opportunity if you look at the game film. He dropped everything thrown his way. He started as a receiver at purdue also until the switch to rb. Jones left instead of being the second option to laporta in the passing game, Iowa probably wins the west that year if he stayed.

You gents are missing the two most important variables in football. Who is calling the plays and who is taking the snaps. See e.g. The KC Chiefs.

A healthy CM and anyone not named Brian Ferentz. I like the chances of the entire group being much much much better if the first two variables come together. If McNamara stays healthy he will be drafted. We have 3-4 OL that are worthy of late round picks or FA deals. Our TE will go in the first two days. We have a couple RBs who will get a cup of coffee in the NFL. And I believe Brown has the most upside at WR we have had in 5 years.

We shall see.

All this pessimism is irrational. I think this Sullivan guy is going to be a difference maker on offense. I don't know why he wasn't starting at NW last season. A real mobile QB with almost unbelievable completion percentages. His video shows his accuracy doesn't suffer from running. Almost the perfect QB for this offense. Granted it's only highlight film, but Sullivan appears to take a pretty quick read and can get the ball out of his hands pretty fast.

Brown has the potential to be the best wide receiver ever at Iowa. Changed schools and positions, new to the receiver position, in an offense unfriendly to receivers. Now, he's had couple of seasons, and one full season to play. I opine he will have many more ways of getting the ball in some open field situations. I am happy to see an OC that I believe will find a way to get the ball to the fastest guy on the team, Kaden Wetjen. For both guys, and I think they will be the starters Game 1, KF telegraphed the defense by using them in such limited and predictable plays. Both guys have their best football before them. ...and maybe two future NFL TEs

RBs, Kaleb J. is going to be an NFL RB and many other attractive options at RB, an injury prone position.

We have two reliable QBs and maybe a third.

O Line-2024 is on your shoulders. At least, as of now the line has all veterans playing the same positions instead of a bunch of scrambled playing too soon and no stability in position really reduced positional efficiency when they did play. I heard that Lester and KF having been spending a lot of time with the line.​

Welcomed news for sure.

No doubt pray for health AND development of the WR room. Just 2 reliable dependent playmaking WRs would be enough. Surely the healthiest and better QB will be good enough to get those guys and the TEs the ball. (Our RBs should be able to catch too Washington who they moved to WR seems like a weapon they could use all kinds of different ways)

If we want to sit around and wonder why Bostick left look no further then those guys... Those two dudes had they stayed at Iowa wouldn't have gotten but maybe a tryout for the NFL. They leave and to the NFL they go cashing checks and good for them. I really liked both of those guys. Tracy dropped some balls I seem to remember and that kinda put him in BFs dog house but still he was a talented player that we under utilized that just goes without saying at this point. KF took him to Indy as one of the 3 captains that yr before he left for peats sake.

Bostick going to A&M is gonna make bank NIL wise and get a better shot at showcasing himself for the next level. At least where things stand today he's got 4 yrs of eligibility so maybe in that time Iowa could make themselves respectable in that department but I'd have to see it before I'd predict it

If we want to sit around and wonder why Bostick left look no further then those guys... Those two dudes had they stayed at Iowa wouldn't have gotten but maybe a tryout for the NFL. They leave and to the NFL they go cashing checks and good for them. I really liked both of those guys. Tracy dropped some balls I seem to remember and that kinda put him in BFs dog house but still he was a talented player that we under utilized that just goes without saying at this point. KF took him to Indy as one of the 3 captains that yr before he left for peats sake.

Bostick going to A&M is gonna make bank NIL wise and get a better shot at showcasing himself for the next level. At least where things stand today he's got 4 yrs of eligibility so maybe in that time Iowa could make themselves respectable in that department but I'd have to see it before I'd predict it
Doesn't it seem like the really quick guys who can get open end up losing playing time when they drop balls or fumble but the players who aren't very good can drop balls and fumble all they want?

All of the pessimistic posts in this thread are well grounded in what we have seen out of Iowa's offense the last three years plus. I get it. You very well may be right. I would just respond that Brian Ferentz was a uniquely bad playcaller, lacked creativity, and had no business trying to recruit and develop QBs. It was a bad offensive set up and that bad offensive setup made every room, not just the QB room, look really bad.

For those who say, "well, KF is still here." I agree that we won't all of a sudden become a run and gun offense. But, KF let Davis radically change the offense in terms of scheme and playbook, and it sounds like he is giving Lester the same freedom. I know many did not love the Lester hire, but he is a QB, QB coach, and has been a good playcaller for a while now. There is every reason to believe he will be markedly better than BF in every phase of his job.

There are clear reasons to be optimistic, with good QBs (not Hill), a good playcaller and QB coach (not BF), and so we have the talent and experience to be competent or better on offense. Its May, try dreaming a bit, boys!!!

Doesn't it seem like the really quick guys who can get open end up losing playing time when they drop balls or fumble but the players who aren't very good can drop balls and fumble all they want?
Hmm are you referring to someone such as Ragaini cause he seemed to drop his share too and never seemed to lose PT and go into dog house. Yeah I see that. BF didn't seem to have a rhyme or reason for a lot of decisions he made.

A QB can drop balls too without being replaced, I wonder if we'll ever know what Labas did to be sent to Siberia.

Latest posts