OFFICIAL FIRE TIM LESTER THREAD

I bet @okeefe4prez has had some Nipponese coffee experiences.

Do they drink it pretty much the same as us gringos or is there some quirky difference? I know they're a big tea culture but coffee's pretty ubiquitous in the free world.

The march of global capitalism made it so Japanese coffee is controlled almost entirely by an American company out of Seattle, Washington. A little boutique coffee chain you may have heard of. There are some chain local copycats that have appreciable scale.

But one thing the Japanese do right is they bottle and can actual black coffee, which I enjoy. Hit a vending machine, toss in a buck and you get a can of hot or cold black coffee. Virtually all ready to drink bottled or canned coffee sold in America is a monstrosity of fake dairy, high fructose corn syrup and a tinge of coffee. I find it to be an absolute abomination.

Our OC eats Frankenberry and Boo Berry but not Count Chocula nor Fruit Brute. Where in the hell did Ferentz find this guy?? FIRE TIM (WICKED) LESTER

Neptunes inferno was awesome, have check out the other

I’ve enjoyed hornifischures books as Ian tolls books

1709349298417.png

Last edited:
If you like the Pacific naval war, a couple of books. Eagle Against the Sun, Ronald Spector and Neptune's Inferno, James Hornfischer. My two latest WW2 reads and they are great.

Bro, my old lady is a lineal descendant of the first leader of the Japanese Navy. Dude stole the whole fleet and tried to form a new country in Hokkaido in the late 1860's during the Boshin War because he was loyal to the Tokugawa Shogunate and didn't recognize the emperor's authority. I love the history of that navy.

Last time I was in Japan I went to Kure and saw the 1/10 scale Yamato plus all the stuff they had in the naval museum, including stuff like the one man submarine that was a one way suicide mission. It's insane. Anyone interested in the Pacific naval war absolutely has to go to that museum. It's in Hiroshima prefecture so you can do a twofer and see the nuclear museum, but I give that 0/5 stars because it's possibly the most depressing place on Earth. The tricycle they buried with that kid (Shin's tricycle) will haunt me until the day I die.

Bro, my old lady is a lineal descendant of the first leader of the Japanese Navy. Dude stole the whole fleet and tried to form a new country in Hokkaido in the late 1860's during the Boshin War because he was loyal to the Tokugawa Shogunate and didn't recognize the emperor's authority. I love the history of that navy.

Last time I was in Japan I went to Kure and saw the 1/10 scale Yamato plus all the stuff they had in the naval museum, including stuff like the one man submarine that was a one way suicide mission. It's insane. Anyone interested in the Pacific naval war absolutely has to go to that museum. It's in Hiroshima prefecture so you can do a twofer and see the nuclear museum, but I give that 0/5 stars because it's possibly the most depressing place on Earth. The tricycle they buried with that kid (Shin's tricycle) will haunt me until the day I die.
Geesus. Had had to google the tric. Wow. Puts it into perspective. Can't image living thru that.

On a side note, I am descendant 13 generations out from Pocahontas. No chit.

On a side note, I am descendant 13 generations out from Pocahontas. No chit.
Funny thing you mention that. This is one of my interest areas and I've done a lot of reading in the subject.

It's been scientifically shown that all humans alive today are related to a common ancestor going back relatively few generations. The oldest common ancestor to everyone living today was alive between 1400 BC and 55 AD.

If you want some really interesting shit, google "human genetic isopoint." That's the point in time when any two family trees on earth...no matter how distant...come back to the same two individuals. It's way more recent than you'd think.

For your example, it's been estimated that 20 generations back in the Americas and Europe we are all related. One thing that's been proven robustly is that there's no such thing as racial purity anywhere in the world. Of course I'm speaking genetically and scientifically, not culturally.

Here's a great article for easy reading that doesn't go all the way in the weeds...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...-more-closely-related-than-we-commonly-think/

Tim's offense at IA still hasn't produced a single first down. Fire Tim Lester.

Last edited:
Funny thing you mention that. This is one of my interest areas and I've done a lot of reading in the subject.

It's been scientifically shown that all humans alive today are related to a common ancestor going back relatively few generations. The oldest common ancestor to everyone living today was alive between 1400 BC and 55 AD.

If you want some really interesting shit, google "human genetic isopoint." That's the point in time when any two family trees on earth...no matter how distant...come back to the same two individuals. It's way more recent than you'd think.

For your example, it's been estimated that 20 generations back in the Americas and Europe we are all related. One thing that's been proven robustly is that there's no such thing as racial purity anywhere in the world. Of course I'm speaking genetically and scientifically, not culturally.

Here's a great article for easy reading that doesn't go all the way in the weeds...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...-more-closely-related-than-we-commonly-think/

This is really cool stuff. We can trace back maternal lineage because all of our mitocondria come from our mothers, and mitocondria have DNA (a remnant from back when mitochondria were a bacterium that became engulfed by another cell, resulting in a permanent symbiotic relationship). We can then trace paternal DNA from the Y chromosome. This knowledge, along with a known and relatively constant rate of accumulated mutations in DNA, allow scientists to get some pretty good ideas of how humans have moved around the world over time.
This is a quick video about the idea made for lay consumption: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnYSMhR3jCI

Here is a related video from the same people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk213XSSktQ&t=609s

Just curious, what didn't you like about Conquering Tide? Toll can be a little tedious. Greatest irony of the war, the battleships that weren't destroyed at Pearl were raised, rebuilt and won the last battleship battle in history.

Thats what I get for using my phone. I wasn't looking that closely. I was thinking of another book when I wrote this.

If you are into historical fiction, especially imaginative historical fiction with weird characters and exploration of technology, I really like Neal Stephenson. Stephenson does Sci Fi, but he is definitely not hemmed in by genres. He likes to blend the ideas of technology, religion, finance, and human interactions, whether looking forward with Sci Fi, or looking backward with some really wild historical fiction.

His 1999 novel Cryptonomicon is an exploration of WWII code-breaking unfolding in parallel to present day (or at least present 1990s) ideas of crypto-currency and its role in future society. Historical characters that make brief appearances include Yamamoto, MacArthur, Goring, Donitz, Churchill, Turing, Reagan (as a young actor during WWII), and a German character modeled after Rudolf Schauffler.

A weird book with lots of historical tidbits tucked into it, as well as a prescient look at the future of cryptocurrency about 20 years before crypto took off. Not to be read as an historical text, much heavier on the "fiction" than the "historical." But very fun.

As an aside, Stephenson is an Ames High grad, though he moved around throughout his life (his dad was an electrical engineering Prof, first at Illinois, and then ISU). You never know how well you get to know someone via digital communication, but he seems like an author that would be right up the alley of @MelroseHawkins and @PCHawk .

Latest posts