***OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD***

The Cub's brain trust is intent on trading Garza and he is totally cooperating by increasing his trade value with every outing. I'm not opposed to unloading him, partially due to his penchant for getting injured, but I am looking forward to the day that the Cubs start retaining their better players and actually attempt to be competitive and win games.

I believe that was another ex-Cub closer Antonio Alfonseca ... :)

images

Cut that thing off

The Cub's brain trust is intent on trading Garza and he is totally cooperating by increasing his trade value with every outing. I'm not opposed to unloading him, partially due to his penchant for getting injured, but I am looking forward to the day that the Cubs start retaining their better players and actually attempt to be competitive and win games.
I think the cubs would love to keep Garza honestly, but he wants a 5 year contract at better than EJax money. So with his injuries the past year and the fact that the cubs can get a good return for him, I think they have to trade him. If he was going to say take a 3 year 45 million extension I think the cubs would do it, but not at 5 for 80. That doesn't seem good for the future of the team. Also, rumors early on were that the Diamondbacks were interested in Samardzija, but the cubs wanted way too much. I'm guessing it started with Skaggs and Bradley + a few other pieces. If the cubs could get 2 pitchers like Skaggs and Bradley for Samardzija, I'd say heck yes. Those 2 have the potential to be 2 Samardzijas in a few years (obviously they may not pan out), but Samardzija is in line for a big pay day and is a FA at the end of 2015. Will the cubs be competitive by then? I don't know. I should say I like Samardzija and will be happy when he is a cub for a long time, but if they did trade him for that return I'd be pretty happy too.

It's nice the Cubs could be the first team to lose 0 1 on a passed ball in 20 years. They're hitting is so bad the Ottumwa softball team could probably beat them

SELL ALL PLAYERS!

Hairston was just traded for a bag of balls.

j/k

A single A pitcher and I hear some pool money. Will Garza make his start tonight?

SELL ALL PLAYERS!

Hairston was just traded for a bag of balls.

j/k

A single A pitcher and I hear some pool money. Will Garza make his start tonight?
Weren't you just on bleacher nation loving this trade? Jk, Jk. But seriously not a bad return for Hairston. What do you think happens with Garza. I think this extension talk just shows me that they aren't getting what Brett and everyone else thinks they will get out of Garza at the deadline, which is unfortunate. Also, I am one of the few that is pro trade Castro and Samardzija, not because I don't like them, but the whole Hendry ML team needs to be turned over IMO. Also, I think Shark can get an amazing haul of prospects. Plus he is a FA in 2 more seasons and he will be pricey, pricier than Garza, so I think you trade him. Maybe not right now, but maybe this off-season, or next trade deadline. Thoughts SSC.

Yeah, I am on BN more than here. Talking Cubs is way more fun than discussing Hawkeye football. I gave it a try today and the first topic I seen was on KF being named among the 5 worst coaches so I checked back out. Does basketball start soon?

IMO nobody is untouchable but I would have to be really impressed to give up Samardzija and you would be selling low on Castro if you traded him right now. But the Cubs do have an interesting group of shortstops moving through the system so anything can happen, although I wonder if we will ever see Baez in a Cubs uniform. I can see the Cubs trading him if the right deal came along (Price maybe?).

I am anxious to see how Bryant looks and the Cubs signing Alamo was a nice surprise. Along with all the international player signings the Cubs are stocking up on young talent that will keep the Cubs winning once the get the ball rolling.

Yeah, I am on BN more than here. Talking Cubs is way more fun than discussing Hawkeye football. I gave it a try today and the first topic I seen was on KF being named among the 5 worst coaches so I checked back out. Does basketball start soon?

IMO nobody is untouchable but I would have to be really impressed to give up Samardzija and you would be selling low on Castro if you traded him right now. But the Cubs do have an interesting group of shortstops moving through the system so anything can happen, although I wonder if we will ever see Baez in a Cubs uniform. I can see the Cubs trading him if the right deal came along (Price maybe?).

I am anxious to see how Bryant looks and the Cubs signing Alamo was a nice surprise. Along with all the international player signings the Cubs are stocking up on young talent that will keep the Cubs winning once the get the ball rolling.
I'm with you. Not a fan of trading Samardzija unless you can get the likes of BOTH Skaggs and Bradley from the Dback for example. I just know that in 2 years when he is a FA he's not going to be cheap. I don't think they need to trade him now, but maybe this off-season when the return could be better, or next trade deadline. I'm really hoping they can get him on a Castro/Rizzo type of extension and just keep him for 6 more years, but I think he wants more money. My hope on Castro is that he turns it around, but I've never liked his baseball IQ. He is lax on D and he does not hit situationally. Again, I'm not saying trade him now, or in the off-season, but when they have someone that can replace him. If Baez can stick at SS then maybe but right now I don't see many better options that are that close. You can't trade him until you have something that can take his place, unless you can get a guy like Segura or Profar in a trade. Again, no reason to trade now, he's relatively cheap and could easily turn it around. I don't know about how long these prospects will stick in the system. The great thing about depth is you can afford to trade a few of them off, just have to keep the right ones. I don't want to see the cubs be too aggressive trading guys like Baez or Alcantra (I think he's the future at 2B by the way), but if say Villanueva, Bryant, or Candelario can stick and Castro turns it around then Baez becomes more dispensible and could get you the haul you want. Price is interesting given his arm injury this year (eerily similar to Garza's) but his dominance since he's been back. Interesting to see, but he's not going to be cheap to extend either. I love talking the cubs.

So here is a crazy little question nobody probably thought was possible at the start of the year. What happens if we get to the deadline and the Cubs are hovering around .500? 8 games below right now and after 3 more with the Cards, the Cubs have some winnable games against Colorado, San Francisco, Arizona and Milwaukee leading up to the deadline.

Im not saying the Cubs will be buyers at the deadline but maybe they wont be sellers either.

So here is a crazy little question nobody probably thought was possible at the start of the year. What happens if we get to the deadline and the Cubs are hovering around .500? 8 games below right now and after 3 more with the Cards, the Cubs have some winnable games against Colorado, San Francisco, Arizona and Milwaukee leading up to the deadline.

Im not saying the Cubs will be buyers at the deadline but maybe they wont be sellers either.

They'll be sellers. That murderers row of teams coming up should allow our players to keep their trade value high though, so that's nice.

I agree with Clark that the Cubs will still be sellers if they are around .500 by the trade deadline. The Cubs are pretty far back in the wild card hunt, even, last I checked.

But the worst thing imaginable that I could see happen is if the Cubs are neither buyers nor sellers.. Leaving this team as-is isn't something I care to see. The Cubs aren't THAT bad, but there's a lot of work to do with that roster before the Cubs are in the conversation IMO.

I don't see it happening for a couple of reasons. The Cubs are 14 games behind the Cardinals right now, even if they sweep them over the weekend (not likely) they will still be 11 out or more because the Pirates most likely would reclaim 1st. Secondly, there are too many teams in front of them. I think they would need to run off 10 straight over the next two weeks to even consider not selling. It's just not going to happen this year. Sure they are hot right now, but Soriano typically goes on a 2 to three week tear and then goes back to being Soriano. The bullpen is still a mess, and there are no legitimate threats in the middle of the order. They need to continue to focus on building. I expect better results next year, and then 2015 they should start contending.

I don't see it happening for a couple of reasons. The Cubs are 14 games behind the Cardinals right now, even if they sweep them over the weekend (not likely) they will still be 11 out or more because the Pirates most likely would reclaim 1st. Secondly, there are too many teams in front of them. I think they would need to run off 10 straight over the next two weeks to even consider not selling. It's just not going to happen this year. Sure they are hot right now, but Soriano typically goes on a 2 to three week tear and then goes back to being Soriano. The bullpen is still a mess, and there are no legitimate threats in the middle of the order. They need to continue to focus on building. I expect better results next year, and then 2015 they should start contending.
I'm with you on this. The one thing that is really getting to me is all these first pitch outs. You have a pitcher throwing balls everywhere but across the plate and next guy up very first pitch double play. I guess I just wouldn't make a good coach.

Latest posts