***OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD***

I keep telling myself Theo Epstien knows what he is doing. It helps me drink the kool aid.:)

Castro is now tied in the National League lead for errors. His bat has been nothing to write home about either. Is there some reason he needs to be in the lineup every day? His play this year screams for some time off.

BTW, Ryan Sweeney, the Cedar Rapids native, is having quite the day! So far two doubles and a HR with six RBI.

Last edited:
Castro is batting like .125 this month.... Sweeney needs to play everyday. We scored more runs today then we will the rest of the week.

I believe Castro is working on his swing/approach. You need to see live pitching to do that. Now, I have said for a long time on here and bleachernation that Castro should be traded (not right now, but when his value responds). I think the cubs could get a lot of really good players for him, and I do have hopes that there is a guy that could match his current performance, and easily exceed current performance in the minors. I like Alcantra, just not sure if his glove is there yet for SS. I want to get rid of all things associated with Hendry. I think that is what it will take. I do think Castro can turn it around, but we'll see what his resolve is like this offseason.

I believe Castro is working on his swing/approach. You need to see live pitching to do that. Now, I have said for a long time on here and bleachernation that Castro should be traded (not right now, but when his value responds). I think the cubs could get a lot of really good players for him, and I do have hopes that there is a guy that could match his current performance, and easily exceed current performance in the minors. I like Alcantra, just not sure if his glove is there yet for SS. I want to get rid of all things associated with Hendry. I think that is what it will take. I do think Castro can turn it around, but we'll see what his resolve is like this offseason.

I think so too, but I just hope this season doesn't get into his head so much that he never recovers. It makes me think of that pitcher for the Cardinals who suddenly lost all sense of control, and ended up becoming a position player, and actually had some success. His name escapes me, but this was maybe 5-10 years ago. But I hope the same thing doesn't happen with Castro.

A couple years ago, I had pegged Castro as a guy that was going to hit .320 every year once he reached his prime, but he is regressing every year, so I have to say I'm concerned about him.

I think so too, but I just hope this season doesn't get into his head so much that he never recovers. It makes me think of that pitcher for the Cardinals who suddenly lost all sense of control, and ended up becoming a position player, and actually had some success. His name escapes me, but this was maybe 5-10 years ago. But I hope the same thing doesn't happen with Castro.

A couple years ago, I had pegged Castro as a guy that was going to hit .320 every year once he reached his prime, but he is regressing every year, so I have to say I'm concerned about him.
Rick Ankiel is the name you are looking for. I think the coaches have gotten into Castro's head a bit too much. I have never liked his style as a free swinger and his baseball IQ is pretty low IMO, but if he can ever return to 2 year ago form he'd be a great 6 hole guy. I don't think he's built for the top of the lineup. He's low OBP any way you look at it and lacks power, and doesn't have extremely great base stealing speed.

Those of you who had "4-2/3 Innings, 6 Earned Runs" in the "How long will Edwin Jackson last tonight?" Pool, please stop by the window to collect your winnings and congratulations!

I agree with the making Sweeney a starter crowd. Heck I'm surprised they signed him to a minor league contract. The guy is a career .280 hitter in the majors. Just baffles me how he didn't get a MLB contract to start the year. That is at least one addition Theo has made that I agree with.

I agree with the making Sweeney a starter crowd. Heck I'm surprised they signed him to a minor league contract. The guy is a career .280 hitter in the majors. Just baffles me how he didn't get a MLB contract to start the year. That is at least one addition Theo has made that I agree with.

We should be thrilled with that. Sweeney probably isn't going anywhere for awhile, and we got him at a bargain price.

Marmol has like 6 fingers on each hand, why is he so bad? that Mariano Riveria circle change should be second nature.

Marmol has like 6 fingers on each hand, why is he so bad? that Mariano Riveria circle change should be second nature.

I believe that was another ex-Cub closer Antonio Alfonseca ... :)

images

Thanks for sharing. This is good news. Marmol really needed to go. He may have potential, but it just was never going to work again in Chicago. Maybe somebody else can straighten him out. I hate to see Feldman go, mostly because he was a good hitter who also is having a decent year pitching, but he is not a long term solution, so I think it was the right move.

We should be thrilled with that. Sweeney probably isn't going anywhere for awhile, and we got him at a bargain price.

Yeah, Sweeney isn't going anywhere for awhile....in fact, he won't even make another appearance for sixty days while he's on the DL.

Latest posts