**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

why is it a black eye? if dempster leaves in the offseason we get a comp pick for him.

Exactly, which is why the Cubs aren't going to give him away for nothing. Once Dempster realizes the Dodgers move isn't happening, he'll accept the trade to the Braves.

Right now, the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Dodgers, and Braves all need starting pitching. At worst, the Cubs have the #3 and #4 starters on the market behind Greinke and Hamels and it's far from a lock either of them get traded. I liked the Atlanta deal as a Cub fan, but it wasn't such a good deal that another team couldn't match it.

Dang! If Samardzija doesn't fall asleep for a second and covers first base on the one hit he gave up, he may have had a chance to go back out there in the ninth inning going for his first no-hitter. In any event, it was a nice outing that the Cubs really needed against a contending Pirate team (seems odd to write).

"But he started it!" Pointing fingers, really?

Hey Dempster, you either want to be with the Braves or not, but don't drag it out over days.

Yes, it is widely known that the Braves leaked the story. Dempster is a 10/5 guy so he has earned the right to approve or reject any trade. His first preference is to be traded to the Dodgers, if the deal cannot get done then the Braves is another possibility. The bottom line is the deal should have never gotten leaked to the media as now he is being made to look like the bad guy.

If I am the Cubs I am in no hurry to trade Dempster. The worst case scenario is the Cubs keep him, make him a qualifying offer in the off season, and when he signs somewhere else the Cubs get an extra draft pick.

OK, I get the fact that Dempster can veto any deal. But if this is the reason,then I'm very unhappy with him. He was ok with going there and he's unhappy he wasn't the first to hear it? He gets to play for a contender the rest of the year and play for something. He also helps his current team get a decent prospect that can help them down the road. If he wants to come back, he could. Doesn't make sense.

This is not true, he is unhappy how this deal got leaked out to the media before he approved it and I don't blame him. Now Dempster looks like the bad guy and has everyone ****** off at him. Being a 10/5 guy gives a player the rare power to control where they end up, if he wants to be a Dodger then we cannot blame him for not accepting the Braves deal.

This is not true, he is unhappy how this deal got leaked out to the media before he approved it and I don't blame him. Now Dempster looks like the bad guy and has everyone ****** off at him. Being a 10/5 guy gives a player the rare power to control where they end up, if he wants to be a Dodger then we cannot blame him for not accepting the Braves deal.

Honest question, and not being a Braves home here, but what does LA have that ATL doesn't?

Honest question, and not being a Braves home here, but what does LA have that ATL doesn't?

Evidently he is friends with Ted Lily plus he mentioned he has family in Vancouver so he wants his family to be on the west coast. But as a 10/5 guy it doesn't matter if he just prefers the uniform color, this is one of the rare times that the player actually has power in a situation like this.

Another nice outing for Maholm tonight. That makes five straight wins. He may wind up with his first winning record in a full season if he keeps this up. One thing you can say for him, he always answers the bell. Never had less than 26 starts in a season.

I know what you're saying , bill, but the Cubs lose enough without wishing for more. They turn right around and get the Cards at home so maybe they can make amends for last weekend.

I see that the Marlins traded Hanley Ramirez to the Dodgers this morning. They also gave the Dodgers a pitcher, Randy Choate. In return, they got a starter, Nathan Eovaldi and minor-league right-hander Scott McGough. Wonder how that may affect a Dempster to LA trade.

Last edited:
Atlanta moving on. Dodgers deal not close. Cubs plan on keeping him, making qualifying offer for draft compensation, and moving on.

I have to admit, this whole deal has really caused me to sour a little on Dempster. He said a week and a half ago ATL would be a place he'd go, but LAD was first on his list. Deal in place w/ ATL, he doesn't accept so they move on. He's being a selfish DB right now. Sure, he's earned the right to pick and choose given his 10-5 rights, but don't say one thing and do the complete opposite.

The whole thing stinks.

Atlanta moving on. Dodgers deal not close. Cubs plan on keeping him, making qualifying offer for draft compensation, and moving on.

I have to admit, this whole deal has really caused me to sour a little on Dempster. He said a week and a half ago ATL would be a place he'd go, but LAD was first on his list. Deal in place w/ ATL, he doesn't accept so they move on. He's being a selfish DB right now. Sure, he's earned the right to pick and choose given his 10-5 rights, but don't say one thing and do the complete opposite.

The whole thing stinks.

This is posturing IMO. The Dodgers were getting cocky and this is a move designed to show them that while they do have some leverage, they don't have all of it.

The whole thing stinks.
I completely agree..Epstein kept him in the loop and put together a good deal. My opinion of Demp has sure changed. The Cubs must feel that a compensetary pick is better than the crap the Dodgers are offering. Either way it appears Demp won't be a Cub after this year.

I don't feel like Demp has anything to apologize for. This is business not personal and we don't know what went on behind the scenes. My opinion of Dempster hasn't changed a bit.

Latest posts