**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

Cubs up 3-0 so far through middle of 5th. Barney with a 2 run HR. Cubs have the best record (11-4) in MLB the last 15 days or so (according to broadcast).

Looking at the next 21 games, there is no reason the Cubs couldn't realistically win 13-16 of them.

Marlins - 3 games (3-0)
@ Cardinals - 3 games (2-1)
@ Pirates - 3 games (2-1)
Cardinals - 3 games (2-1)
Pirates - 3 games (2-1)
@ Dodgers - (2-1)
@ Padres - (3-0)

I think 8-4 in the Cards/Pirates series' is optimistic, a split or 7-5 is probably more realistic. We have played STL solid this season but the Bucs are looking solid. Even still, winning 16 of the next 21 still puts us 5 games under .500 but I think it would go a long way in showing what the future of the club may look like.

That said...it's entirely possible they lose 16 of the next 21 as well given we are likely going to lose Dempster AND Garza but it's fun to see them playing good ball right now.

Hearing the Cubs could get Casey Cosby from the Tigers for Dempster. I'm hoping the cubs make that trade and could trade again with them for Turner possibly or costanellos. Or with the Jays for some pitching. The Orioles would be a good candidate as well.

www.bleachernation.com and www.mlbtraderumors.com are must follow sites if you are interested in the trade deadline in MLB and the cubs

I do agree with one of the BN rumors of Dempster being traded before his next start. One less player on the market to saturate the market, it could drive the price up for Garza.

The packages being rumored for Dempster look solid, I think the Tigers could offer more advanced prospects that could replace Dempster in the rotation right away (ie Crosby).

I don't want to boast or anything but I think I said this was a possibility. Ryan Dempster really likes Chicago and the direction the cubs are going. Ryan Dempster told Bob Nightengale of USA Today that he�d be willing to re-sign with the Cubs this coming offseason even if he�s traded this summer. Many teams are interested in Dempster, who can block any trade

It would be nice but he would have to do what Wood did and give them a discount bc Theo is not gonna spend a lot of money for him and I'm sure others would.

I seriously doubt the Cubs would pursue Dempster aggressively. It would be nice for the Cubs to sign a veteran pitcher as it helps with the rebuilding process. But Dempster is having a really good season and the money will be to good to pass up elsewhere. At 35 years old he is playing for what will probably be his final multi year contract.

It would be nice but he would have to do what Wood did and give them a discount bc Theo is not gonna spend a lot of money for him and I'm sure others would.

I seriously doubt the Cubs would pursue Dempster aggressively. It would be nice for the Cubs to sign a veteran pitcher as it helps with the rebuilding process. But Dempster is having a really good season and the money will be to good to pass up elsewhere. At 35 years old he is playing for what will probably be his final multi year contract.

I don't think you guys realize how much Demp likes Chicago. He has devoted a lot to the city and I think he wants back and I think he will give a discount. maybe 3 years 15 mil. That's not bad at all, and he's a great club house guy. Even if the cubs get great prospects it may take a few years to still develop them. I wouldn't dismiss this thought. I actually think it is likely to happen.

I don't think you guys realize how much Demp likes Chicago. He has devoted a lot to the city and I think he wants back and I think he will give a discount. maybe 3 years 15 mil. That's not bad at all, and he's a great club house guy. Even if the cubs get great prospects it may take a few years to still develop them. I wouldn't dismiss this thought. I actually think it is likely to happen.

I'm not questioning how much he loves Chicago. If he agreed to a 3 yr 15 million then I'd be thrilled. I just don't think it will happen.

No way he accepts 3 years for 15 million when he will probably get 30 million for 2 years some where else.

There is no guarantee the Cubs even trade Dempster unless the price is right. Keeping Dempster and letting him walk at the end of the season means a compensation 1st round pick and more draft pool money. So I would expect Theo & Hoyer to get a really good prospect or 2 in return.

No way he accepts 3 years for 15 million when he will probably get 30 million for 2 years some where else.

There is no guarantee the Cubs even trade Dempster unless the price is right. Keeping Dempster and letting him walk at the end of the season means a compensation 1st round pick and more draft pool money. So I would expect Theo & Hoyer to get a really good prospect or 2 in return.

He's already made a ton of money, 4 year, 52 mill. So the money is not the issue for him, and I think he gives a big break, also teh cubs looks ot have a pretty reasonable payroll next year (90mil). Just saying I woudn't be surpried at all and I think it does happen.

From Phil Rogers' twitter just now ...

ESPN's Buster Olney is writing that the Red Sox are making a push for Ryan Dempster. I wonder if Dempster would approve a trade there. All things being equal, I'm sure he'd prefer the National League, and he definitely wants to go to a team that's going to get into the playoffs, not one with big-time crash-and-burn potential. I also wonder if Theo Epstein and Ben Cherington could get past the Larry Lucchino factor to work out a trade. The Red Sox would hate to see legitimate prospects go to Chicago, and I know Epstein is not giving him away. It seems to me there are more likely teams to acquire Dempster than the Red Sox.

From Phil Rogers' twitter just now ...

ESPN's Buster Olney is writing that the Red Sox are making a push for Ryan Dempster. I wonder if Dempster would approve a trade there. All things being equal, I'm sure he'd prefer the National League, and he definitely wants to go to a team that's going to get into the playoffs, not one with big-time crash-and-burn potential. I also wonder if Theo Epstein and Ben Cherington could get past the Larry Lucchino factor to work out a trade. The Red Sox would hate to see legitimate prospects go to Chicago, and I know Epstein is not giving him away. It seems to me there are more likely teams to acquire Dempster than the Red Sox.

I would put money on the Dodgers or the Tigers

My ideal trade scenario goes like this:

Dempster to the Dodgers for Zach Lee, even trade

Garza and Barney combo to Detroit for Costellanos and Turner, plus some other young prospects.

I would love to see a deal with the blue jays for d'Arnaud, but they are never big buyers and doubt they would give up their top prospect especially since he's a catcher.

If the cubs could swing Dempster to Detroit for Casey Crosby and some young guys and then send Garza to Toronto while keeping Barney I'd be fine with that too. Lots of possibilities and unlike Hendry I know Theo isn't going to trade those guys without getting the prospects he truly wants in return.

Last edited:
I guess we're not going to see Big Z on the mound during the Marlins stint here this week, but I would bet that we see him with a bat in his hand at least once.

Cubs get another victory today. Look for Reed on SCtop10. 10-4 in July is a pleasant surprise. Just a coincidence they are doing it with Rizzo?

Cubs get another victory today. Look for Reed on SCtop10. 10-4 in July is a pleasant surprise. Just a coincidence they are doing it with Rizzo?

Doubtful. Having Rizzo allows Castro to move back out of the three hole, where he's just not a good fit.

Latest posts