**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

So give up prospects to get prospects? This does not make any sense. The Cubs need to trade away veteran players to build up the farm system. The outfield prospects the Cubs have are a few years a way and not all will work out. There is a reason why the Cubs hang on to Ty Wright and Dave Sappelt to start in the outfield at Iowa, there is no one else ready at the lower levels to replace them. The outfielders in Tennessee do not excite me all that much either, including Jae-Hoon Ha.

If you can trade one for a better one then yes. I think Soler will be a good one, and Szcur is getting there. I honestly don't think Jackson is the wonder kid everyone else does. I think he'll be fine, but not as an all star like some think, so if you can get a set of better prospects by including him then I say yes. There are really only 2 veterans on the cubs that will bring anything and that is Dempster and Garza, and if you include Jackson to get better prospects in return that may be worth it. To me it is. Is it a gamble yes. Also the cubs are not going to win next year, so the fact that the depth at AAA is low doesn't bother me right now. The pitching depth is far worse and that is where we need prospects and GOOD ones.

An example here would be if you could trade with the Jays for instance and you trade Garza. They will give you a few good prospects but if you include Jackson you could get their untouchable prospect like d'Arnaud as acatcher then you should do it. Or if you could get Costanellos and Turner from Detroit with a few other prospects (you aren't getting both with just Garza) then I say yes.

hawkfarmer, you don't understand. The Cubs need outfield prospects and they are not going to give up their #1 prospect in order to get other prospects. Jackson will be starting in center field by the end of the year. DeJesus is not a long term answer in center field. If the Cubs were to trade one of their prospects it would be at a position where they do not have a need at the major league level in the near future. Right now that only appears to be at shortstop or first base.

I understand the Cubs need pitching, it is why they used 8 of their first 10 picks on pitchers. But the Cubs also have holes at 3rd, Catcher, and Outfield. A team 20 games below .500 is going to have holes all over the place and right now the Cubs do not have prospects lined up ready to fill all these holes.

hawkfarmer, you don't understand. The Cubs need outfield prospects and they are not going to give up their #1 prospect in order to get other prospects. Jackson will be starting in center field by the end of the year. DeJesus is not a long term answer in center field. If the Cubs were to trade one of their prospects it would be at a position where they do not have a need at the major league level in the near future. Right now that only appears to be at shortstop or first base.

I understand the Cubs need pitching, it is why they used 8 of their first 10 picks on pitchers. But the Cubs also have holes at 3rd, Catcher, and Outfield. A team 20 games below .500 is going to have holes all over the place and right now the Cubs do not have prospects lined up ready to fill all these holes.

I agree with you for the most part. The only way you trade Jackson is if you get a monster return. With so many holes, they are going to have to fill one or two through free agency. There are a couple of pretty good center fielders available in 2014. Ellsbury and Adam Jones. But you can't count on that, who knows where those guys will be 2 years from now. Better to develop your own talent; like Jackson.

I agree with you for the most part. The only way you trade Jackson is if you get a monster return. With so many holes, they are going to have to fill one or two through free agency. There are a couple of pretty good center fielders available in 2014. Ellsbury and Adam Jones. But you can't count on that, who knows where those guys will be 2 years from now. Better to develop your own talent; like Jackson.

Ellsbury won't be going anywhere, barring an absolute nose-dive. Boston will have the money to keep him at Fenway, and probably sign him to an extension before FA. Jones is more likely to actually hit the open market.

This is my point exactly. It is easier to find prospects/FA in the outfield than a catcher or 3B. So if you are working a trade with the Tigers or the Blue Jays for example and they won't give up Costanellos (3B) or d"Arnaud (C) respectively, unless you throw in Jackson. To me that is an even trade. Jackson a CF that strikes out A LOT for a future stud at 3B or C. I would put Jackson in a trade for that type of prospect.

This is my point exactly. It is easier to find prospects/FA in the outfield than a catcher or 3B. So if you are working a trade with the Tigers or the Blue Jays for example and they won't give up Costanellos (3B) or d"Arnaud (C) respectively, unless you throw in Jackson. To me that is an even trade. Jackson a CF that strikes out A LOT for a future stud at 3B or C. I would put Jackson in a trade for that type of prospect.
Unfortunately, Detroit (Austin Jackson) and Toronto (Colby Rasmus) have 25 year old CFs that strike out a lot. I guess Brett Jackson being 23 helps a little. :)

Unfortunately, Detroit (Austin Jackson) and Toronto (Colby Rasmus) have 25 year old CFs that strike out a lot. I guess Brett Jackson being 23 helps a little. :)

Touche, though those guys could get moved, and I was just picking 2 examples, could work for multiple teams.

Touche, though those guys could get moved, and I was just picking 2 examples, could work for multiple teams.
Yeah, I know. I was just being snarky. :) I agree on Jackson. There are folks like Keith Law (who I respect) who are now saying that Jackson has not progressed like other prospects (not like Harper and Trout, but others) and he may not be the answer. It's a hit or miss proposition at this point.

Yeah, I know. I was just being snarky. :) I agree on Jackson. There are folks like Keith Law (who I respect) who are now saying that Jackson has not progressed like other prospects (not like Harper and Trout, but others) and he may not be the answer. It's a hit or miss proposition at this point.
Yeah, I have heard he is not going to be in Chicago this year and likely to start in Iowa next year unless he gets things figured out, and most of those are in between his eyes issues.

The problem is his strike out rate has gotten worse this year. He strikes out over 1/3rd of his at bats and is on an unbelievable pace (around 200). All of his other numbers look good, power, speed, defense, even his OBP is respectible.

The problem is his strike out rate has gotten worse this year. He strikes out over 1/3rd of his at bats and is on an unbelievable pace (around 200). All of his other numbers look good, power, speed, defense, even his OBP is respectible.
He's no Tuffy Rhodes! :)

225px-Rhodeskarl.jpg

Latest posts