**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

I have a feeling we are gonna be disappointed with who we get for Dempster.

I think the suspicion will be over soon. Both this new pitcher (Germano) and Casey Coleman are on their way to St Louis, Casey is supposed to start in case Germano does not make it on time in place of Dempster.

I have a feeling we are gonna be disappointed with who we get for Dempster.

That depends on what you're expecting to get. Buster Olney thought the Cubs could get 1 great prospect for Garza and 1 good prospect for Dempster. I take that to mean the Cubs should expect to get a prospect in Keith Law's top 100 (or Baseball America's top 100) for Dempster but don't expect it to be a top 50 player.

Fans will be disappointed because they have an elevated view of Dempster based on his performance this year. Jayson Stark of ESPN is a solid writer, and I'm a big fan of his Friday Rumblings & Grumblings column. Here is a snippet from today's R&G column mentioning other GM's view on Dempster:

"Here's the problem," said an executive of one team that has scouted Dempster heavily. "He's leading the league in ERA, so they want par value back. But in reality, he's a middle-to-end-of-the-rotation pitcher, and you've only got him for a couple of months. So is it worth what you're being asked to give up?"

So if you believe the Cubs will get Zach Lee from the Dodgers for Dempster, it's not going to happen. Unless Jed has nude pics of Colletti stashed somewhere.

Dempster is not an ace but he is a solid middle of the rotation guy who seems to pitch better as he gets older. His control this year has been outstanding and he has not been giving up the long ball. But he is 35 years old and in the final year of his contract so I would think a B+ level prospect along with a fringe prospect would be a fair deal.

Fans will be disappointed because they have an elevated view of Dempster based on his performance this year. Jayson Stark of ESPN is a solid writer, and I'm a big fan of his Friday Rumblings & Grumblings column. Here is a snippet from today's R&G column mentioning other GM's view on Dempster:

So if you believe the Cubs will get Zach Lee from the Dodgers for Dempster, it's not going to happen. Unless Jed has nude pics of Colletti stashed somewhere.

Agreed. If the Cubs get Lee, I'd be shocked.

I think one of these two (and another throw in or two) is more likely:

Allen Webster (#61 in Law's top 100) a 22 year old RHP who Law says has a "mid rotation ceiling with a chance for more"

Nate Eovaldi (#79 in Law's top 100) a 22 year old RHP who is already in the Dodgers big league rotation

edit: Baseball America has these two guys ranked in the 90's. For reference, they have Zach Lee rated in the mid 60's. Mid 90's would still be considered B+ prospects.

Last edited:

I think that's a pretty fair point. I don't look alot at W/L because that's partly a function of the teams you play on, but here are Dempster's ERA's since he's been a Cub:

Certainly nothing to sneeze at, but he's been pretty up and down, and it's pretty clear that so far THIS year, Dempster has certainly been performing at a level he's never been at. Vegas odds are that he will be a 3.5+ ERA guy going forward. And at age, 35 - who knows how many good years he has left.

There's a lot of season left, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if his ERA for this year ends up closer to 3.

I think the suspicion will be over soon. Both this new pitcher (Germano) and Casey Coleman are on their way to St Louis, Casey is supposed to start in case Germano does not make it on time in place of Dempster.

This kids having fun in STL yet? That 8 run inning must feel good without lube.

Latest posts