**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

This is so weird as a cubs Dan but I. really haven't been disaapointed yet. I'll start getting mad when they don't play hard.

Really? Or maybe it is because Jim Hendry ****ed us over with some ridiculous contracts and couldn't use the hundreds of millions of dollars he was given to get a decent team except 07,08.

The guy had the Cubs in the playoffs and made Chicago a contender more than any other GM the Cubs have had in my lifetime.

That's right though, EVERY other team in the history of baseball who has taken a win now approach always has sparklingly wonderful contracts for the team once their window closes.

All Jim Hendry's fault. Never mind the fact that the Tribune Co. ordered him to spend top dollar to increase the value of the franchise in order to sell it.

So Soriano sucks because of the fans? That's new.

Don't even start with Soriano. You were begging for the Cubs to sign him when he was a free agent and you know it.

if he is hurt again get Rizzo up here

Ah, yes. On a team that has absolutely no chance to win this year, let's bring up one of the youngsters we're expecting to build around and get him through those arbitration years as quick as possible.

Really? Or maybe it is because Jim Hendry ****ed us over with some ridiculous contracts and couldn't use the hundreds of millions of dollars he was given to get a decent team except 07,08.

1. The guy had the Cubs in the playoffs and made Chicago a contender more than any other GM the Cubs have had in my lifetime.

2. That's right though, EVERY other team in the history of baseball who has taken a win now approach always has sparklingly wonderful contracts for the team once their window closes.

3. All Jim Hendry's fault. Never mind the fact that the Tribune Co. ordered him to spend top dollar to increase the value of the franchise in order to sell it.

So Soriano sucks because of the fans? That's new.

Don't even start with Soriano. You were begging for the Cubs to sign him when he was a free agent and you know it.

if he is hurt again get Rizzo up here

Ah, yes. On a team that has absolutely no chance to win this year, let's bring up one of the youngsters we're expecting to build around and get him through those arbitration years as quick as possible.
1. Thats not saying a whole lot unless you were born somewhere around 1945
2. Agree
3. Your point is? If you have nearly unlimited money to spend and you cant put together a better team that gets swept in the first round of the playoffs two years in a row. Thats a problem.

Last edited:
I know the last two nights have been kind of cold over in Wrigley but I really noticed a lot of empty seats. I know Theo has his own timeline on how he gets this rebuild done but I wonder how long it takes for lagging ticket sales to start dictating that timeline.

I don't think I am alone in honestly saying that I was extremely against this signing from the beginning.

I don't think I am alone in honestly saying that I was extremely against this signing from the beginning.

Looking back I think more people were excited about the fact the Tribune Company was opening the checkbook, not necessarily the actual signing of Sori.

I know the last two nights have been kind of cold over in Wrigley but I really noticed a lot of empty seats. I know Theo has his own timeline on how he gets this rebuild done but I wonder how long it takes for lagging ticket sales to start dictating that timeline.
FYI ... lat night's attendance at Wrigley was listed as 37,265 (90% of capacity).

In Texas, they had 25,753 (52.4 % of capacity) for the 2 time defending AL champs. Cincinnati had 17,110 (40 % capacity) vs St Louis. This is April during the 1st week of the season.

I think this will be a long rebuild process regardless of the attendance. That's when you get into trouble.

I think this year is kind of a free year for him......... next year if there is no performance and or tickets sales improvement I look for them to start feeling the heat.

I was watching the Royals and A's 2 nights ago and in the second inning there was hardly anybody at the game in Oakland. I mean there were rows of empty seats right behind the dugouts. Literally nobody in the outfield and just a trickle of people beyond the dugouts. It was weird to see.

The opening day game of the Marlins and Cards had less viewership than a random NBA game on ESPN2. I just honestly don't get how MLB generates as much money as it does.

Cubs up 1-0 so far today in the 5th inning.

This line from the box score made me laugh a little ... :D

BREWERS LEFTFIELDER RYAN BRAUN HAS BEEN SCRATCHED FROM THE STARTING LINEUP DUE TO CHEST TIGHTNESS.

The Cubs attendance has been trending down slightly for the past four years. I think it may take a larger dip this year, especially given their April schedule and figuring that they will be seven or eight games out (at least) by the first of May. While Cub fans , like myself, may be somewhat heartened by the change in management I think a lot of casual fans will be put off by the teams performance this spring and will not make the pilgrimage to Wrigley.

As far as Soriano goes, I was thrilled when the Cubs signed him until I saw the length and terms of the contract.

I never did like the amount of money they threw at him or the term. But at the time it appeared the Cubs were just a couple pieces short of making it to the World Series, I would have been fine with the move had this happened. But they came up short and we all have Hendry to blame since he was the one who made such a deal.

As big of a Cub fan I am you could not have paid me to sit in the bleachers last night. I will go to a football game in cold weather as most of the time we are standing anyway. But no way will I go to a baseball game and sit in 30 degree weather.

Cubs up 1-0 so far today in the 5th inning.

This line from the box score made me laugh a little ... :D

BREWERS LEFTFIELDER RYAN BRAUN HAS BEEN SCRATCHED FROM THE STARTING LINEUP DUE TO CHEST TIGHTNESS.

2-1 Brewers now (8th inning). Looks like Dempster is going to be this year's poster child for lack of run support. :( Not surprising I guess though, considering the lineup.

I'm starting to look forward to the trade deadline, but then I realize, who has any trade value for the cubs. Byrd batting a whopping .048. Soto .176, Barney .250 (not that he is really trade worthy), I mean there's not much there. LaHair hitting .417 after a few days, but that isn't impressing anyone.

Oh god...it's going to be a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng season.

I just hope they can somehow find a way to dump some of the bad money on the roster.

I never did like the amount of money they threw at him or the term. But at the time it appeared the Cubs were just a couple pieces short of making it to the World Series, I would have been fine with the move had this happened. But they came up short and we all have Hendry to blame since he was the one who made such a deal.

No kidding? You'd have been fine with a deal that helped get the Cubs to the World Series? Anybody can be a genius in hindsight.

I'm not sure if the length or the money was worse, but you hit the nail on the head early in that paragraph. The Cubs were a couple of pieces short. They needed to add something more, Soriano happened to be the top free agent on the market. If you're going to get the top free agent, you have to put out that kind of deal. How can anybody, without the benefit of hindsight, blame a guy for trying to make his team better? I'll never understand that.

Most Cubs fans wanted to trade for Brian Roberts and Jake Peavy, too. Wonder how they'd feel about those moves today … or last year … or two years ago?

If you can honestly say that, congratulations. But, by and large, the majority of Cubs fans were tickled pink when Soriano was signed. He was the top free agent on the market, and most fans wanted him. I preferred to sign Carlos Lee, simply for the fact Chicago could have gotten him on roughly a 5-year deal rather than an 8-year deal, which is what Soriano got.

1. Thats not saying a whole lot unless you were born somewhere around 1945
2. Agree
3. Your point is? If you have nearly unlimited money to spend and you cant put together a better team that gets swept in the first round of the playoffs two years in a row. Thats a problem.

1. Did you see Cubs baseball in the late 80s and throughout most of the 90s? It's saying something.

2. Sarcasm. If you're a big player in the free agent market, eventually you'll have a burdensome contract that you want to get rid of. Happens to every team.

3. Unlimited money and $100 million baseball dollars are two quite different things. No GM in the history of baseball can guarantee that if he spends X amount of dollars, his team will win a World Series. All you can do is put a contender on the field and hope for the best once everybody goes back to 0-0 in October. Hendry made the Cubs a contender for much of his tenure.

This rebuilding thing is going to be a process, fellas. There's no use getting too worked up looking at every day's box score. I'm just looking for guys like Castro, Jackson, Lake, Rizzo, Szczur, Baez, Castillo, Samardzija, McNutt, Dolis, etc., to improve this year. They're going to have to be the core of the future Cubs.

Latest posts