**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

In 2009 he was 11th in the NL in OPS among outfielders.

In 2010 he was above .800 in OPS, which would put him around 14th or so. I'd say that's above average. Getting on base because of walks is still getting on base and he did so at around a .370 clip. Pretty good, combine that with good defense and I'd say he was an above average player.

Also, 13 home runs in this era is probably around average if not a little higher than average for a right fielder.

Show me what you are looking at for stats in 2010. I do not have the time to look up every Right Fielder in MLB that year but just looking at the Central Fukodome would rank 3rd behind Ludwick .827 (Cardinals) and Bruce .846 (Reds) in OPS. Hunter Pence OPS with the Astros was only .786 but I would take his production over Fukodomes that year any day. The only right fielder Fukodome produced better than in the central was the Pirates (Lastings Milledge). If you want to compare home run totals he had about 1/2 of what Pence & Bruce had for home runs (25). Ludwick almost had as many (11) in 77 fewer At Bats.

Again, the only reason why Fukodome had such a high OPS was because he drew so many walks (64) and of his 94 hits, 35 of them went for extra bases. Tyler Colvin almost had as good of a OPS as Fukodome that season as he had a .500 slugging percentage. But he only drew 30 walks so his OPS ended up at .816. I would argue that Colvin had more key hits for the Cubs that year then Fukodome. He score more runs and had more RBI's than Fukodome.

If those numbers you just threw out are true, they are horrible for an OF at any level.

By comparison Alfonso Soriano had 202 chances in 2011 and made 7 errors for a fielding percentage of .965.

I'm seeing for LaHair:

LF: .992 in 135 games
RF: 1.000 in 23 games
OF: .968 in 33 games

Add that up and it's not bad. But I'm sure there was stuff he didn't get to. But not bad.

Show me what you are looking at for stats in 2010. I do not have the time to look up every Right Fielder in MLB that year but just looking at the Central Fukodome would rank 3rd behind Ludwick .827 (Cardinals) and Bruce .846 (Reds) in OPS. Hunter Pence OPS with the Astros was only .786 but I would take his production over Fukodomes that year any day. The only right fielder Fukodome produced better than in the central was the Pirates (Lastings Milledge). If you want to compare home run totals he had about 1/2 of what Pence & Bruce had for home runs (25). Ludwick almost had as many (11) in 77 fewer At Bats.

Again, the only reason why Fukodome had such a high OPS was because he drew so many walks (64) and of his 94 hits, 35 of them went for extra bases. Tyler Colvin almost had as good of a OPS as Fukodome that season as he had a .500 slugging percentage. But he only drew 30 walks so his OPS ended up at .816. I would argue that Colvin had more key hits for the Cubs that year then Fukodome. He score more runs and had more RBI's than Fukodome.

baseball-reference.com

You can track every one of Fuk's HRs and see if they were meaningless or not. A truly amazing site.

I just don't know why you think OPS is the end all stat in determining worth?

Normally it is, because either the guy is hitting for a ton of power which knock in runs or he is getting on base to produce a lot of runs. In Fukodome's case he did neither, he was the guy drawing the walk with 2 outs and getting stranded or striking out when the Cubs had runners in scoring position. In his first 2 seasons he scored 79 runs each season hitting at the top of the lineup. During that same period he had 58 & 54 runs batted in. When he did get on base he was not able to steal the next one to get into scoring position. In 2209 he had 54 extra base hits and only 54 RBIs to show for it, which tells you he did not hit for extra bases in key situations.

Fukodome is one of those players I would like to forget was ever a Cub.

If those numbers you just threw out are true, they are horrible for an OF at any level.

By comparison Alfonso Soriano had 202 chances in 2011 and made 7 errors for a fielding percentage of .965.

I'm seeing for LaHair:

LF: .992 in 135 games
RF: 1.000 in 23 games
OF: .968 in 33 games

Add that up and it's not bad. But I'm sure there was stuff he didn't get to. But not bad.

Thats why I said if they were true. I figured there was no way they could be because they are terrible numbers.

Does Duff really think someone with a .900 fielding percentage in the OF is anything other than embarrassing?

baseball-reference.com

You can track every one of Fuk's HRs and see if they were meaningless or not. A truly amazing site.

I have been looking at the site and you have to subscribe in order to get all the player data by position. The ones I was able to look at did not show Fukodome was an above average hitter for Right Field.

I have been looking at the site and you have to subscribe in order to get all the player data by position. The ones I was able to look at did not show Fukodome was an above average hitter for Right Field.

Yeah, I wasn't looking at all the RFs. Just a few of the other stats we were comparing. Still a good site, however.

He got called up last year and played a handful of games for the first time in his career and passed the eyeball test and didn't embarass himself. No one will confuse him for Clemente out there, but it's not hard to imagine him being a Carlos Lee type. In around 50 OF chances last year he only had a few errors, which isn't a total embarassment, especially considering he hadn't spent much time there recently.
If those numbers you just threw out are true, they are horrible for an OF at any level. By comparison Alfonso Soriano had 202 chances in 2011 and made 7 errors for a fielding percentage of .965.

dude, 2 errors in 50 chances projects to 8 in 200 chances, nearly identical to the soriano numbers.

If those numbers you just threw out are true, they are horrible for an OF at any level. By comparison Alfonso Soriano had 202 chances in 2011 and made 7 errors for a fielding percentage of .965.
I'm seeing for LaHair: LF: .992 in 135 gamesRF: 1.000 in 23 gamesOF: .968 in 33 games Add that up and it's not bad. But I'm sure there was stuff he didn't get to. But not bad.
Thats why I said if they were true. I figured there was no way they could be because they are terrible numbers. Does Duff really think someone with a .900 fielding percentage in the OF is anything other than embarrassing?

I'm thinking math isn't your strong suit. 2 errors in 50 chances equals a .960 fielding percentage.

You know it is going to be a long season when it is only May and we are already arguing about historical data. :D

iirc in 48 chances he had two errors, which is below average statistically, but also a really small sample, meaning making the next five routine plays turns below average into average.

again he will probably have below average range, but he's not going to be a man-ram caliber butcher out there.

In the minor leagues LaHair played 135 games in left field, had 241 chances, 8 errors, 2 assists, for a .992 fielding percentage. Last season he only had 24 chances and made 1 error playing in the outfield (both right & left) for a .958 fielding percentage. Soriano has a career .969 fielding percentage playing left field, .970 if you include the few times he played center. LaHair is not going to hurt you playing the outfield position.

Ive always considered a "few" to be around five.

Meh, a "few" is 2-3. A "handful" is 4-5.

Regardless my memory was a bit off. In 14 career major league games in the outfield he's had 1 error in 24 chances good for a .958 fielding percentage. Again that's a bit below average, and doesn't account for range, but it's also an increadibly small sample size.

In the minor leagues LaHair played 135 games in left field, had 241 chances, 8 errors, 2 assists, for a .992 fielding percentage. Last season he only had 24 chances and made 1 error playing in the outfield (both right & left) for a .958 fielding percentage. Soriano has a career .969 fielding percentage playing left field, .970 if you include the few times he played center. LaHair is not going to hurt you playing the outfield position.

Then we agree. LaHair in left is not likely to be a downgrade defensively from what we are getting now.

Then we agree. LaHair in left is not likely to be a downgrade defensively from what we are getting now.

Absolutely, now just convince Section136 as he is the one arguing against you.

Then while your at it convince the Cubs management so we can see both LaHair and Rizzo in the lineup at the same time come June. :D

Latest posts