***OFFICIAL CUBS OFF-SEASON THREAD***

Anyone watching 5 Outs on Comcast? Ten years have gone by ...

I don't like to watch things about that night. It was awful enough to go through it once. I mustered up the strength to watch the Bartman 30 for 30, but it took me 3 nights to get through it all. It was just terrible to sit through. Of all the teams I root for, there has never been anything more excruciating or embarrassing as that terrible night.

I have watched Catching Hell several times and have it on my DVR. I find it fascinating to watch. The emotion and memories it reignites make it fun for me, no matter how many times I watch it. I honestly thought we were going to see the World Series of a lifetime between the Red Sox and Cubs that year.

And to this day I still think Alou catches that ball without Bartman getting in the way. Nothing I see will ever change my mind.

One thing that often goes over looked is our closer (Borowski) gave up a couple hits and a walk in the 9th of Game 1 and Grud made a crucial error at 2B that inning also. We choked away 2 runs, if we don't make that error and/or Borowski closes the door we win the game in the bottom half of the 9th. I think letting game 1 get away from us when we put up 8 runs was just as critical as any other game we lost in the series.

One thing that often goes over looked is our closer (Borowski) gave up a couple hits and a walk in the 9th of Game 1 and Grud made a crucial error at 2B that inning also. We choked away 2 runs, if we don't make that error and/or Borowski closes the door we win the game in the bottom half of the 9th. I think letting game 1 get away from us when we put up 8 runs was just as critical as any other game we lost in the series.

Scary, right? :)

joe_borowski_2004_studio_plus_photofile.jpg

Also, the starting catcher in Game 6 for the Cubs was ...

Topps+2003+Bako.jpg

LOL, yes I still can't believe Joe Borowski was a closer. And Bako had no biz catching, he couldn't get a hit if the ball was on a tee.

But I missed Paul Bako during the years Koyie Hill was the backup catcher. The Cubs used to have a knack for finding catchers who could not hit, this goes back to the Steve Lake days (remember him?).

But I missed Paul Bako during the years Koyie Hill was the backup catcher. The Cubs used to have a knack for finding catchers who could not hit, this goes back to the Steve Lake days (remember him?).

Steve Lake. Great mustache. :)

56665-10Fr.jpg

I go back farther with Cubs' catchers ... and mustaches

165232.jpg

171463.jpg

I've got it recorded, but I haven't gotten drunk enough to watch it yet. I compare that 8th inning to the Pembrooke Burroughs tip in. A chance of a lifetime p*ssed away.

Yes, Steve Lake had on heck of a mustache. Has to be up there among the all time best in Cubs history.

The 70's were the height of the mustache era (today being the middle of the beard era). Carmen Fanzone was a favorite mustache of mine.

$(KGrHqF,!osFCrtd-(wtBQ4ekOm!GQ~~60_35.JPG

He also played the Star Spangled Banner on the trumpet before some games

images

My wife or kids will buy me a pack once in a while. Unfortunately most of my collection is from the mass production days. :(

My wife or kids will buy me a pack once in a while. Unfortunately most of my collection is from the mass production days. :(

Sounds a lot like me. I do have a box of about 15k just Cubs cards if anyone ever wanted to swap extras. I collect about anything Cubs and anything old school baseball I can find for a steal. Perhaps my favorite item, definitely my favorite cubs item is an authentic Wrigley Field 1929 World Series Press Pin between the Cubs and Philidelphia A's. What makes it even more unique is it has the official press pass, a letter from the BBWAA welcoming the writer and an official game program with it. All the press credentials are there. A friend found it in a box of stuff, it was his grandpa's and he wanted me to have it because he knew i'd appreciate it. Here is what the pin looks like

SeptAuctionsHunt%23216-1929WorldSeriesPressPin.jpg

Sounds a lot like me. I do have a box of about 15k just Cubs cards if anyone ever wanted to swap extras. I collect about anything Cubs and anything old school baseball I can find for a steal. Perhaps my favorite item, definitely my favorite cubs item is an authentic Wrigley Field 1929 World Series Press Pin between the Cubs and Philidelphia A's. What makes it even more unique is it has the official press pass, a letter from the BBWAA welcoming the writer and an official game program with it. All the press credentials are there. A friend found it in a box of stuff, it was his grandpa's and he wanted me to have it because he knew i'd appreciate it. Here is what the pin looks like

SeptAuctionsHunt%23216-1929WorldSeriesPressPin.jpg

Awesome!

Latest posts