***OFFICIAL CUBS OFF-SEASON THREAD***

I may have considered this deal, infielders is the strongest area the Cubs have in prospects. I think if Baez was further along they might have pulled the trigger.

I doubt it. They just signed Castro to a nice extension. It wouldn't look good to players on the team and future Free Agents etc. if you are trading guys away that you just signed to be the cornerstone of the future. I don't see Castro going anywhere. It will be interesting to see who switches him or Baez if Baez can make it to Chicago.

I doubt it. They just signed Castro to a nice extension. It wouldn't look good to players on the team and future Free Agents etc. if you are trading guys away that you just signed to be the cornerstone of the future. I don't see Castro going anywhere. It will be interesting to see who switches him or Baez if Baez can make it to Chicago.
Well I think it is pretty locked within the organization that Castro will be moving to 2nd in the near future. Also articles have recently said Baez has excelled more that expected at SS so staying at that position is seeming more reasonable.

Well I think it is pretty locked within the organization that Castro will be moving to 2nd in the near future. Also articles have recently said Baez has excelled more that expected at SS so staying at that position is seeming more reasonable.

I don't think it is a lock, i know that is not what you said, but I think Baez could easily move to third. If they make a move in the next year for a 3B like Olt or Chisenhall then I will agree with you. However, I think the FO would be happy if Watkins could be the next Barney at 2B. Great defense there would be a huge plus. Not sure their plan, not even sure if Baez will make it to the majors or not, but this is a good probelm to have.

I think Starlin will continue to develop at SS and we will like him more and more there. I would like to think perhaps lake could develop, but it isn't looking good and I don't expect him to be a cub at this time next year.

^ Lake has been playing OF in a Dominican league this winter and has been doing quite well. So take that for what it's worth.

I doubt it as well but keep in mind they negotiated that contract without a No Trade Clause. If the right offer came along I think they would trade Castro, especially if Baez continues to play a good shortstop and keeps hitting.

I doubt it as well but keep in mind they negotiated that contract without a No Trade Clause. If the right offer came along I think they would trade Castro, especially if Baez continues to play a good shortstop and keeps hitting.

I don't disagree with that, but I don't think it would be this year. Maybe next year or 2015 when Baez is ready. Can't be guaranteed he will be ready quite yet.

Also, I guarantee you that any contract that this FO negotiates will not have a no-trade clause on it no matter who the player is.

I never thought I was see Vogelbach and athletic together in the same sentence.

It would be nice to see a trim Vogelbach come spring training. The kid can flat out rake at the plate.

From what I've read he's a DH guy at best right now. Can't even play first well enough to play regularly and even the idea of putting him in the OF would get a manager fired.

I never thought I was see Vogelbach and athletic together in the same sentence.

It would be nice to see a trim Vogelbach come spring training. The kid can flat out rake at the plate.
When not if the NL goes to the DH lets hope it's before this kid is dealt to the AL to beast as a DH.

I do not remember the scouts raving about Fox like they do Vogelbach. Fox was one of those 4A guys like LaHair that we tend to fall in love with.

Fox was thought of very highly coming up and led MLB in HRs one spring training. Unfortunately, he had no position and has bounced around since. That's all I was referring to. :)

Since we don't have a Spring Training thread yet, thought I would put this here. It's that time of year again! And as I look out the window and see the snow flying, I enjoy watching this video from today's intrasquad game even more! It appears Soler will be headed to Daytona most likely, but looks promising!

Jorge Soler Home Run - YouTube