***OFFICIAL CUBS OFF-SEASON THREAD***

From what I hear he is quite entertaining, he better be since the Cubs are probably looking at another 100 loss season.

The audition went something like this:

Okay, now we're going to have you recite some lines...say "he swings, and Castro grounds into a 4-6-3 double play", "3-2 the count, runners on first and second, no outs...here's the pitch from Baker, and that ball is out of here!", and "and with the bases loaded, Samardzija has just issued a walk to send the go-ahead run across the plate".

One more thing: can you please say "Cubs lose", and "the North-siders now drop to 19 games below .500, and we have yet to see Memorial Day".

The audition went something like this:

Okay, now we're going to have you recite some lines...say "he swings, and Castro grounds into a 4-6-3 double play", "3-2 the count, runners on first and second, no outs...here's the pitch from Baker, and that ball is out of here!", and "and with the bases loaded, Samardzija has just issued a walk to send the go-ahead run across the plate".

One more thing: can you please say "Cubs lose", and "the North-siders now drop to 19 games below .500, and we have yet to see Memorial Day".
You think you could make a rap about it killa?

Don't you say that. Next year is the year.

I wish, I am hearing it will be 2015 before the Cubs will make a playoff run. It seems most of the Cub fans have bought into getting assets to just trade them for prospects and lose to get higher draft picks. It is not like this is a small market team nor do I think they need to go crazy and spend crazy money to buy free agents. There should be a happy medium of keeping a competitive team on the 25 man roster while building this farm system.

154397_225963554171182_212208148880056_319919_1123451091_n.jpg

I wish, I am hearing it will be 2015 before the Cubs will make a playoff run. It seems most of the Cub fans have bought into getting assets to just trade them for prospects and lose to get higher draft picks. It is not like this is a small market team nor do I think they need to go crazy and spend crazy money to buy free agents. There should be a happy medium of keeping a competitive team on the 25 man roster while building this farm system.
This will be another one of those watch for the first month of the season and then forget until the prospects are called up at the end of the year.

This will be another one of those watch for the first month of the season and then forget until the prospects are called up at the end of the year.

Yep! When I hear the Diamondbacks sign Yankees third baseman Eric Chavez for $3 million when they already have a full time third baseman it makes me want to throw up. I realize Chavez is not a every day player anymore but he can still mash right handed pitching and would have been a perfect platoon player for Vitters and/or Valbuena. I keep hearing players being mentioned that the Cubs could sign at a low price to "flip" for prospects at the trade deadline. It gets frustrating.

The winter meetings will soon be over and I wonder if the only player the Cubs get is whoever they take with the #2 pick in the Rule 5 draft. Perhaps they will go dumpster diving again for other teams waivers.

Who do you want the cubs to sign? There is no long term solution at 3B. There is no ace out there that won't be past his prime in 3 years. There are so many holes on the cubs roster that it isn't smart to buy high $ FAs. Even if they did get a couple and made the team a .500 team, what good is that? You have not made the playoffs, you have not improved your draft status to get better players into the farm system. So why does everyone want this? I'm fine with terrible baseball next year. The cubs can flip Garza (or sign him) to get pitching prospects. Right now the cubs need pitching, pitching, pitching. With Samardzija hopefully being a decent starter you have that too build around.

However, the best way for the cubs to get good starti pitching is via trade. Right now they don't have the farm system to trade for those impact players. They need to get more good prospects that either turn into ML players, or are attractive enough prospects to be included in a trade. The cubs are in building mode, and that starts at the farm system. Next year maybe a player or two can step up to the ML team and produce an impact, a then the cubs can try to fill a few holes with Free Agents.

Who do you want the cubs to sign? There is no long term solution at 3B. There is no ace out there that won't be past his prime in 3 years. There are so many holes on the cubs roster that it isn't smart to buy high $ FAs. Even if they did get a couple and made the team a .500 team, what good is that? You have not made the playoffs, you have not improved your draft status to get better players into the farm system. So why does everyone want this? I'm fine with terrible baseball next year. The cubs can flip Garza (or sign him) to get pitching prospects. Right now the cubs need pitching, pitching, pitching. With Samardzija hopefully being a decent starter you have that too build around.

Chavez would have been a start, the Cubs do not need someone long term as they have several prospects coming up. But a his veteran presence could have helped Vitters.

I am not looking for the Cubs to go out and sign a bunch of free agents to get them in they playoffs next year but at least make an attempt to make them competitive and they can do that without giving up prospects or the future. I agree, they have a lot of holes to fill and I do like how they are building the farm system. Hopefully the #2 pick in next Junes draft can net the Cubs a pitcher that can be considered future top of the rotation instead of these middle to bottom end of the rotation projections like they have now.

That would be a good signing imo. I think that's who the Royals should have gotten instead of blowing their load on Shields.

That would be a good signing imo. I think that's who the Royals should have gotten instead of blowing their load on Shields.

Hope we lock him in. If Garza returns to form, Plus Smarz pitches like he did this year that would be a pretty decent top 3. Long ways from the World Series but it is a step in the right direction and might keep us in some games. Be interesting to see how that new Japanese pitcher does.

Far better then injury ridden Dan Haren. Cards make any noise this off season e11en1? Haven't paid much attention other than what is mentioned on Cubs boards.

Agent was only using the Cubs to drive up the contract offer from Detroit. He ended up resigning with the Tigers for 5 years, 80 million.

Personally, I think the Cubs ended up better off on this one. No way I sign that pitcher for 5 years.

Personally, I think the Cubs ended up better off on this one. No way I sign that pitcher for 5 years.

I'm not sure on that. I think he is a smiliar pitcher as Garza, without the injuries. I think it will take extending Garza 5/$75. Not sure I want that, but who knows. Right now if you want to get a pitcher that is proven to be quality, it is going to cost you and it isn't goig to get any cheaper.

I'm ok with it. I would have liked to see them get Sanchez and extend Garza. Then next year go full bore after David Price in a trade. Price, Garza, Samardzija, Sanchez, and Wood sounds like a really nice rotation. However, now I have no idea what the cubs are going to do. I don't see anyone at AAA that is going to make a huge impact in the next 2 years. Maybe Viacaino, but he's coming off Tommy john so who knows. If the cubs could get Smyly or even Porcello in a trade with the Tigers I'd like that.

I'm seriously hoping that Price is available from the Rays next year. The cubs would need to give some prospects but I'm fine with it for a guy of that talent and 3 more years of control.

I'm not sure on that. I think he is a smiliar pitcher as Garza, without the injuries. I think it will take extending Garza 5/$75. Not sure I want that, but who knows. Right now if you want to get a pitcher that is proven to be quality, it is going to cost you and it isn't goig to get any cheaper.

I'm ok with it. I would have liked to see them get Sanchez and extend Garza. Then next year go full bore after David Price in a trade. Price, Garza, Samardzija, Sanchez, and Wood sounds like a really nice rotation. However, now I have no idea what the cubs are going to do. I don't see anyone at AAA that is going to make a huge impact in the next 2 years. Maybe Viacaino, but he's coming off Tommy john so who knows. If the cubs could get Smyly or even Porcello in a trade with the Tigers I'd like that.

I'm seriously hoping that Price is available from the Rays next year. The cubs would need to give some prospects but I'm fine with it for a guy of that talent and 3 more years of control.

The Cubs are not ready to spend that much for that long on a pitcher. Let them get a little better, build up the farm system, and then try to sign free agents. Sanchez is 28 and probably at his peak. He doesn't blow me away as a pitcher (say like David Price does) so I am glad the Cubs didn't get him. If the Cubs don't contend in the 1st half this year, expect Garza, Baker, and Feldman to get shopped for youngsters.

And, no thanks on Porcello. 1.417 career WHIP with 5.0 K's per 9 innings is not someone to invest in either. He's young, but I don't see it. Smyly, maybe. More potential there.

Latest posts