***OFFICIAL CUBS OFF-SEASON THREAD***

Let us not forget Junior Lake as a bit of a "sleeper" as well.
I really think Lake gets traded eventually. I think he has all the tools and could develop into a good 3B actually. However, I think his value is highest for the cubs in a trade or part of a trade. I could live with the cubs trading him for pitching, maybe in a marmol or garza deal.

To get Stanton you would probably have to give up a package that includes Rizzo, Samardzija, and probably Baez. IF he was available even a deal like that might not be enough. Teams like the Rangers or Tigers could outbid us easily.

I really think Lake gets traded eventually. I think he has all the tools and could develop into a good 3B actually. However, I think his value is highest for the cubs in a trade or part of a trade. I could live with the cubs trading him for pitching, maybe in a marmol or garza deal.
Agree that he would be the odd one out most likely of the prospects for 2nd or 3rd. Assuming we keep Castro, I think which will happen.

To get Stanton you would probably have to give up a package that includes Rizzo, Samardzija, and probably Baez. IF he was available even a deal like that might not be enough. Teams like the Rangers or Tigers could outbid us easily.
If that is ends up being the truth there is no possible way the Cubs could do that. If Rizzo leaves I would be beyond buthurt.

If that is ends up being the truth there is no possible way the Cubs could do that. If Rizzo leaves I would be beyond buthurt.

Keep in mind you are probably getting a young Pujols in return. Remember back in 2002 or 2003 when the Cardinals were rumored to be trading Pujols? Back then the Cubs had the #1 farm system that had 7 of the top 100 prospects in baseball. People back then thought giving up players like Bobby Hill, David Kelton, and Hee Seop Choi was to much for Pujols. Looking back on it that trade would have been a steal for the Cubs. Us Cub fans are notorious for falling in love with our prospects, Felix Pie anyone?

Keep in mind you are probably getting a young Pujols in return. Remember back in 2002 or 2003 when the Cardinals were rumored to be trading Pujols? Back then the Cubs had the #1 farm system that had 7 of the top 100 prospects in baseball. People back then thought giving up players like Bobby Hill, David Kelton, and Hee Seop Choi was to much for Pujols. Looking back on it that trade would have been a steal for the Cubs. Us Cub fans are notorious for falling in love with our prospects, Felix Pie anyone?

Us Cards fans are notorious for not trading away our best players. We would have never traded you Pujols for your foreigners.

Us Cards fans are notorious for not trading away our best players. We would have never traded you Pujols for your foreigners.

Hard to say e11en, I do not think a trade offer was ever discussed just rumors floating around. As a Cards fan I am sure you remember what I am talking about, if I remember right Pujols and the Cardinals management were spatting over something. I know how awful that deal looks now but back in 2003 those players were supposed to be the next Cubs superstars. If a team does look to trade a player like Pujols you would expect to get solid players and top prospects in return.

HAHA throw in a new Gatorade machine to replace the one Big Z always broke and that deal surely would have been good as done.

Done!

zambrano.jpg

With all of the resources the FO has spent, along with trades, on improving the farm system it appears it is paying off. Sickels posted his top 20 prospect list for the Cubs and it has some nice reviews.

Chicago Cubs Top 20 Prospects for 2013 - Minor League Ball

For good or bad the Cubs should graduate a few from this list after next season (Vitters & Jackson at minimum) and will add the #2 overall draft pick in next Junes draft along with whoever else they trade for or sign. This farm system will only get stronger and better. I have visions of the 2002 farm system dancing in my head, with better outcomes ofc.

From what I hear he is quite entertaining, he better be since the Cubs are probably looking at another 100 loss season.