Official 2018 Chicago Cubs Thread!

Maddon screwed up that 6th. inning and I knew it was over after that. Needed to stay away from a double play and of course Willson hit right into it. A simple bunt would of done wonders.

Oh joy. The wildcard game. Another game where we can struggle to score a single freaking run against shit pitching.

Oh joy. The wildcard game. Another game where we can struggle to score a single freaking run against shit pitching.
Our Saturday offense showed up. Now on to tomorrow night. We don't have wipeout guys in our rotation or our bullpen and that's what will be our ultimate downfall. Too much contact, too many runners being advanced. That's where No Darvish and no Morrow/Strop hurt the most.

Losing the division to the fucking Brewers should be grounds for immediate firing.
Frustrating but check back in about 30 hours. Season is not over. We did win 95 games. They won 96. I called the division up 3.5 with ten to go and I don't think Brewers lost since then. Lost one at the most.

Just need to get the bats going. Everyone knows how to pitch to the Cubs. Sliders down, fast, high heat. Been that way all year, not a huge surprise. As much as it hurts, maybe its Milwaukee's year. They have everything going.

Game went about how I expected it to honestly. If we couldn't score early like first two innings we wouldn't really score at all. Without Morrow or Strop we are just THIN out there. Lucky we only gave up 3 runs the Brewers had 10+ hits. Brewers are just the better team at this point, doing about everything right.
Saturday's game against the Cards was killer IMO, we had solid pitching and could only muster up 1 run.

It hasn't been our pitching that has concerned me. It's our offense all too often coming out and getting shut down by some garbage pitcher of the day. Chacin is fucking terrible.

Just need to get the bats going. Everyone knows how to pitch to the Cubs. Sliders down, fast, high heat. Been that way all year, not a huge surprise. As much as it hurts, maybe its Milwaukee's year. They have everything going.
Everyone knows that Cubs hitters like to work the count. So pitchers pump that first pitch in there for strike one. I'd like to see them get more agressive early in the count once in a while.

I listed three instances earlier in this thread that should have finished the Brewers. Each time, it just made them stronger. Then BUM-GARNER had to start his shit by beaning Ryan Braun. The Brewers are something like 22-6 since then. Thanks Bum.

Everything is clicking for the brewers this year so hopefully they get it out of their system this year. Next year they'll be back to normal. This year has been a huge struggle.

It hasn't been our pitching that has concerned me. It's our offense all too often coming out and getting shut down by some garbage pitcher of the day. Chacin is fucking terrible.
All correct but I think you need guys in the postseason who can just blow the opposition away. Look at the Astros starters, for example.

Look at all the stud pitchers that aren't even in postseason. DeGrom, Scherzer, Greinke, that Cardinal Greek freak, possibly Kershaw. Game is becoming more bullpen oriented all the time. And many teams are putting their hardest throwers down there.

I like the postseason experience our starters have. They've been there before. Now can the bats just get a little more consistent?

Unfortunately, I think our bats HAVE been consistent. I think I read that in 10 of the last 30 games, the Cubs have either been shut out or scored a single run. That's gonna get you beat almost all the time.

Look, I have watched almost all the games this season and this edition of the Cubs, even winning 95 games, just never did exhibit the killer instinct of a team that is gonna make a run to world champions. I reluctantly hand it to the Brewers for coming through when the chips were down. Hopefully, we can reverse roles next year with a healthy Bryant and a consistently competent bullpen.

Unfortunately, I think our bats HAVE been consistent. I think I read that in 10 of the last 30 games, the Cubs have either been shut out or scored a single run. That's gonna get you beat almost all the time.

Look, I have watched almost all the games this season and this edition of the Cubs, even winning 95 games, just never did exhibit the killer instinct of a team that is gonna make a run to world champions. I reluctantly hand it to the Brewers for coming through when the chips were down. Hopefully, we can reverse roles next year with a healthy Bryant and a consistently competent bullpen.
You can look at that two different ways. Does 48 come from behind wins show character or lack of killer instinct? When we were scoring early in 2016 and tacking on was that necessarily character? Playoffs are a whole different animal. Survive tonight and everything starts at zero with the Brewers. And their hot finsh doesn't matter anymore.

We were 26-14 down the stretch with an impossible schedule. Brewers were just a little better. Move past the rox tonight and the slate is clean.

Gotta admit, this season really hasn't been too enjoyable so far.I'm pretty meh if the season ends tonight. FWIW, I saw a stat that the Rockies are 15-2 in Freeland's last 17 starts while the Cubs are like 28th against LHP.

The Cubs have tended to hit well when facing a pitcher on short rest. Freeland is one day short so hopefully that gives our offense a boost.

We should have a good idea of how the offense will do by the 4th or 5th inning. If they don't score early I'm not optimistic. I swear it has to be mental.

Latest posts