Official 2018 Chicago Cubs Thread!

Lester's 18 wins is pretty impressive given that he won a bunch of games this year without his best stuff.

It's been a pepto bismol season for Cub fans.

I never would have imagined that we would have to win 5 straight to win the division. Milwaukee has proved to be very tough. It would be nice to sweep the Cardinals, knocking them out of the playoffs and clinching the division this weekend.

Let's hope the Brew Crew stumble these last 3 games and help us out some.
I think the Tigers will get them once.

Why do I think this? Because I've been watching Major League baseball for well over forty years. Crazy things happen all the time.

That would leave the onus on the Cubs to take two of three. If they can't, they don't deserve the division, or the avoidance of a game 163, anyway.

Today gives a competitive advantage in that we play earlier in the day. If Hendricks and Co. deliver, the Brewers would take field tonight down another half a game.

Gutty performance by Lester, that is why he is hard not to like. Just a true competitor. He clearly didn't have his best stuff, no command of his breaking ball all night, yet managed to get in 6 innings and no runs. Huge win. Cards will be gunning for us, gonna be a tough series this weekend.

This just in. The arch heads are out!

That Greek freak can definitely pitch. But he couldn't pitch against the Cubs and the Dodgers at the same time.

In other news, Yelich certainly looks like he can beat two teams at once. Do us a favor Gardenhire-walk him for the rest of the series. I don't care if you have to force in a run!

Sure hope we won't need a tie breaker game on Monday. That would really put a clinker into things.
Milwaukee is pulling out all the stop now. They've had two games in the last week that have been basically bullpen starts. Yet there they are. Yelich is carrying them and Aguilar and Braun are doing a good enough job of protecting him in the line up. Yelich has stolen the MVP based on the last month and Counsell is manager of the year.

It would be Quintana tomorrow and he has had success against everyone in that lineup except Braun. But can we score enough. They do a better job of anyone in the league at making us hit into their shifts and Cain is good for robbing a HR at the fence about once a week ot seems. Tigers had them beat twice but Yelich carried them through.

Braun hit the solo HR to win the first game. Don't like that guy. Wish he'd retire. Yelich has had a tremendous year and will get the MVP. I am not looking forward to the post season. With that said I'm enjoying the fact that the arch heads didn't make the post season for the 4th. straight year! Makes feel all warm and fuzzy. Hehehe

Man, one game playoff tomorrow crazy that both Central and West need another game to decide! Hoping we can pull it out, the Brewers are on fire.

Seemed inevitable that the season would come down to a playoff game. Milwaukee pretty cocky at this point. Hope the Cubs can shut them up.

Seemed inevitable that the season would come down to a playoff game. Milwaukee pretty cocky at this point. Hope the Cubs can shut them up.
As long as the Friday or Sunday offense shows up we will be fine.

If the Saturday offense shows up were in trouble.

I watch the Brewers often living where I do. The biggest difference between the 2018 Brewers and previous years is that their lineup doesn't strike out as much. Cain and Yelich have really made them more of a contact team. Their weakness? Catcher and infield defense.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they turned right around and had a postseason series? The Dodgers may have something to say about that. Puig, now over some nagging injuries that shelved him in mid summer, is almost as hot as Yelich.

Man, one game playoff tomorrow crazy that both Central and West need another game to decide! Hoping we can pull it out, the Brewers are on fire.
We went 26-14 down the stretch and still couldn't put those bastards away. There's one game that sticks in my craw. The second game of that doubleheader in Washington we had a 4-0 lead and Hamels on the mound. We let it slip away. I had a bad feeling we would regret it. Other than that, great stretch run with an impossible schedule.

Still, when all is said and done, how many years (decades) would this long time Cub fan have given his eye teeth for a 95 win season? Just hope they can capitalize on it now, when it counts. and toss the Brewers into the wild card game.

12:00 Monday! Time to knock the Brewers down a notch. One thing we have going for us is Murphy likes to hit during the day. At lead off that's huge! Sounds like Q will be pitching. Go Cubs Go!

12:00 Monday! Time to knock the Brewers down a notch. One thing we have going for us is Murphy likes to hit during the day. At lead off that's huge! Sounds like Q will be pitching. Go Cubs Go!
Maddon and Hickey looked ahead to this scenario weeks ago. We have Q on normal rest and Lester on normal rest ready to go tomorrow if necessary. If we lose out, it won't be because the starting rotation wasn't set up. It could, however, be because Maddon burns up the bullpen today and loses and has no bullpen tomorrow.

Speaking of bullpens, Counsell could be heavily leaning on his today because we have proven we can't touch it. On the plus side, Bryant is rolling now, which he wasn't when we played Milwaukee a few weeks ago.

Strategy and managerial moves alone are going to make today and tomorrow fascinating. What a chess match it's going to be.

Latest posts