Official 2018 Chicago Cubs Thread!

Another nice win vs a good team last night. Finding ways to grind out wins, which honestly is what a lot of the playoffs is about. Just finding a way. Another come from behind win also, around their 43rd of the year.
Hoping Heyward is ok and they just took him out for precaution. This is a tough stretch, 11 road games in 11 days all vs. opponents over .500. If we can go 6-5 or even better 7-4 over this stretch I think we are still sitting pretty good then get home where we have been great all year. Riz has been carrying the team, would be awesome if Bryant gets hot when he gets back too.

Sounds like Javier Baez wasn't too happy with Joe West last night, or the way West handled a called strike three in the first inning. Baez said, among other things, that umpires need to admit their failures as the players do and respect the players more.

If Baez thinks Joe West is going to change now after forty years of being a curmudgeon, he's pissing in the wind.

He should be more concerned about the tough stretch of games the Cubs are in right now, as well as the Brewers and Cardinals, who are ever so subtly hanging around within striking distance, and stop worrying about calling out umpires or trashing dugouts, which he did in the Mets series.

Look at Ben Zobrist. Since he made the comment about robot umpires about six weeks ago he hasn't gotten a borderline pitch since.

It's time the MLB got rid of some of these fat ol asshats that can't even bend over. They need to get their umpires in shape or get your fat stinking ass off the field! West does most of that crap to just egg on the players and show his authority. Biggest piece of crap that has ever roamed the plate! :mad: Bring on the electronic balls and strikes!

It's time the MLB got rid of some of these fat ol asshats that can't even bend over. They need to get their umpires in shape or get your fat stinking ass off the field! West does most of that crap to just egg on the players and show his authority. Biggest piece of crap that has ever roamed the plate! :mad: Bring on the electronic balls and strikes!
I cant disagree with anything you said, except maybe the last comment. But Baez should have bigger fish to fry right now. There's a division to clinch. In volleyball there's a saying-next ball. In baseball, there's always the next pitch, or the next at bat.

Perfect example. I watched the Brewers-Reds game Wednesday night. The Brewers got screwed by a horrible call. The Reds Michael Lorenzen had a pitch come up and in when he was trying to bunt with two strikes. Somehow, the ball hit his bat and went foul. Somehow, the umpires ruled that it was a swinging foul, which kept the at bat alive. Lorenzen hit the next pitch over the fence for a three run homer. The Brewers announcers went ballistic. Counsell did too. But the players stayed the course and outlasted the Reds in eleven. That's the kind of resolve you need in a pennant race. Calling out a forty year veteran umpire in the media isn't going to help Baez' cause with the men in blue. West is the ultimate curmudgeon, but calling him out will just incite him even more.

Maybe Joe West will pull a John McSherry behind the plate and just disappear from the game one these days.

Cishek wasn't any better. Not to mention Bryant screwed up also! I still say Bote is a lot better third baseman than Bryant. Bull pen just didn't have it today.

This was a game that was ours....god I hate the Brewers.....didn't watch, but the home plate ump got Joe's attention AND Edwards, so maybe it wasn't really Carl's fault.

Two game swing. We could have wrapped up the division today with Cardinals also losing again. Never could hit that little bastard Zach Davies. I told myself I would take a .500 road trip and I still would. But we need to take one in Brewtown. Getting that win Thursday night in Atlanta was huge. A game winning home run from LaStella and shutdown relief pitching. Oh, and as for Edwards, now is not the time to start walking people, no how bad you're getting squeezed.

Tough game for sure. Kills to lose on walks and hit batters. Must make them earn it with a hit and not freebies.
The umpires zone wasn't bad, Joe and Carl just threw tantrums and were embarrassing to be honest. Carl was just using the ump as an excuse for his poor performance, not classy.

Lots of pressure on these players and the umps know that and delight in tossing people. Getting the hook is getting quicker all the time. Umps need to stay out of the limelight and just do their job. Not dictate the outcomes! The bull pen had trouble yesterday but for the most part have done a fantastic job this year. It's just 1 game and I still think if Bryant would of gone home things would of turned out better. Just remember it's not all on the pitchers.

New game today Cub fans. Yesterday is history, need a W.....I hope Montgomery can take us into late innings. Carl needs to just throw strikes and our bats need to get hot.

Hope Rizzo is ok. Just my opinion but I think Joe changes the line up way to much. We get rolling and he changes it up dramatically and then we always start stinking. I was hoping at the All Star break we'd unload Russell and it didn't happen.

Hope Rizzo is ok. Just my opinion but I think Joe changes the line up way to much. We get rolling and he changes it up dramatically and then we always start stinking. I was hoping at the All Star break we'd unload Russell and it didn't happen.

It works, we have the best record in the NL so hard to question it. Joe gets the fact its a marathon better than any other manager, he keeps guys fresh and also plays the matchups based on splits, history etc. With how long postseason runs can be, a fresh group is key.
We have played just sloppy the last two nights. Walks, HBP, passed balls, errors in the field. Will the real Cubs please come back soon :)
I love Wilson, but he honestly isn't the greatest receiver in the world.

It works, we have the best record in the NL so hard to question it. Joe gets the fact its a marathon better than any other manager, he keeps guys fresh and also plays the matchups based on splits, history etc. With how long postseason runs can be, a fresh group is key.
We have played just sloppy the last two nights. Walks, HBP, passed balls, errors in the field. Will the real Cubs please come back soon :)
I love Wilson, but he honestly isn't the greatest receiver in the world.
I get the rest thing but I still think he goes to far out of his way with it.

I get the rest thing but I still think he goes to far out of his way with it.

Players are ok with it, at least publicly not much griping. The main cogs...Bryant, Riz, Javy, JHEY... are in there most days, not too many off days for them unless banged up. The ones that are interchangable split at bats more. Keeps all the guys hungry and alert.

Latest posts