Official 2018 Chicago Cubs Thread!

Bote made another spectacular play while playing third base today. He's really making a case for himself to stay put.

Bote made another spectacular play while playing third base today. He's really making a case for himself to stay put.
I don't know about staying put but you are spot on about defense. Outfield defense may have saved the game in the eighth and ninth innings. Meanwhile, Travis Shaw killed the Brewers with his "defense" at second base, misjudging popups, no range to his left or right, costing the Brewers multiple runs. I didn't understand the Moustakas pickup when they did it and I still don't, because Shaw is adequate at third base but will take the gifts handed out to us today.

Edit:. If you are talking about Bote staying put as in the major leagues, absolutely yes. But he ain't staying in there ahead of a healthy Kris Bryant. No way.

Last edited:
I don't know about staying put but you are spot on about defense. Outfield defense may have saved the game in the eighth and ninth innings. Meanwhile, Travis Shaw killed the Brewers with his "defense" at second base, misjudging popups, no range to his left or right, costing the Brewers multiple runs. I didn't understand the Moustakas pickup when they did it and I still don't, because Shaw is adequate at third base but will take the gifts handed out to us today.

Edit:. If you are talking about Bote staying put as in the major leagues, absolutely yes. But he ain't staying in there ahead of a healthy Kris Bryant. No way.
Bote is by far a better fielder than Bryant. I'd like to see Bryant moved to the outfield.

Bote is by far a better fielder than Bryant. I'd like to see Bryant moved to the outfield.
Theo and Jed have had many inquires from American league teams about the services of Schwarber, who would probably bring back a decent starting pitcher. They didn't bite. Heywards contract guarantees he isn't moving. Happ is in the corner outfield mix.

I will say one thing, it's a nice problem to have. Bote has saved our bacon about four times already this year. I love his baseball IQ. He reminds me of the players the Cardinals have brought up through their system all these years.

Theo and Jed have had many inquires from American league teams about the services of Schwarber, who would probably bring back a decent starting pitcher. They didn't bite. Heywards contract guarantees he isn't moving. Happ is in the corner outfield mix.

I will say one thing, it's a nice problem to have. Bote has saved our bacon about four times already this year. I love his baseball IQ. He reminds me of the players the Cardinals have brought up through their system all these years.

Bote is doing nearly everything right so far. Love the way he plays defense at third, been nothing short of gold glove caliber so far. I've always wanted Bryant in LF from the get go a couple years ago. Bote keeps playing like this it just might happen. Joe is all about match ups though, day to day it will differ. One thing that won't differ though, if Bryant and Rizzo are healthy they'll always be in there.

As much as I loved the Bote slam I’d need to see more from him proving he can hit over the long term before I’d be comfortable giving him a starting job.

As much as I loved the Bote slam I’d need to see more from him proving he can hit over the long term before I’d be comfortable giving him a starting job.

Oh yeah, these people acting like we don't need Bryant are just stupid. Bote has a very small sample size, he'll have to adjust as teams figure him out. But the way he is playing right now, he deserves the bulk of the playing time over Schwarb, Happ and maybe even Russell.

Oh yeah, these people acting like we don't need Bryant are just stupid. Bote has a very small sample size, he'll have to adjust as teams figure him out. But the way he is playing right now, he deserves the bulk of the playing time over Schwarb, Happ and maybe even Russell.
I
The best shortstop on our team, and he proved it last year when Russell missed a few weeks, plays mostly second base. Bote's best shot at regular playing could be at second base with Baez moving to shortstop. Russell has a history of coming up big in postseason play but he could end up being the odd man out. But I've mentioned it, too. Let's see where Bote is after a couple of trips around the league and has a slump or two. Then we will be able to make a more definitive judgement.

Who's the people that don't think we don't need Bryant? I don't know anybody.

And just like that, a 4 1/2 game lead over the crew, five games over the birds. And we still have several games in hand over Milwaukee. September 23 is still circled on my calendar. That's the day I want the Cubs to clinch the division-and celebrate on the White Sox home field-AFTER Iowa takes down Wisconsin the day before!

Thank goodness Lester and Hamels were dealing these last 2 games. Chatwood pitching today! Don't know if I can watch sober.
Yeah one run probably won't cut it today. And there lies another issue. We haven't been hitting since Bryant went down, except for some clutch moments. Kris has a security blanket effect on the others that ripples through the test of the lineup. Yet we're still finding ways. Joe is managing out of his ass. And bote's play means that they don't have to push the panic button and rush Bryant back. One more mishap with that shoulder and he's out for the year.

Yeah one run probably won't cut it today. And there lies another issue. We haven't been hitting since Bryant went down, except for some clutch moments. Kris has a security blanket effect on the others that ripples through the test of the lineup. Yet we're still finding ways. Joe is managing out of his ass. And bote's play means that they don't have to push the panic button and rush Bryant back. One more mishap with that shoulder and he's out for the year.
There's no hurry to get Bryant back in the lineup till he's ready. I think the Cubs can hold it together for a while longer. A little shaky at times but doing just enough to get by. Would be nice to have everybody healthy for post season. Rizzo may need to break out the stare on Chatwood tonight.

I like the move, but I agree. There must be a damn good reason for it. F*cking guy went insane against us a Met a few years ago.

Murphy always killed us every time we played against him. I am confused where he will play?
He can play third until Bryant comes back. He could play second and Baez can go to third. He can platoon with Bote. Some Chicago sports talk show hosts think Addison Russell's hand issue is worse then he is letting on and Addison could DL until the rosters expand.

He adds a bat will a proven track record of postseason success in case Bryant has another setback and can't go in the postseason.

Late note. Darvish is officially done for the year as another MRI finally found an issue. Ironic because Theo andJed were concerned about Arrietta's health in light of the fact that Jake hasn't had Tommy John surgery yet. Perhaps Arrietta's arm wasn't abused at a young age and he won't ever need it. In any case, for all the right moves Theo and Jed have made since taking over, signing Darvish over Arrietta doesn't look very smart now.

Last edited:
Russell is on the DL and Joe says Murphy will be playing second base with Baez going to SS. With that the Cubs are a joke right now and we'll be lucky to make the playoffs if they don't pull the bats out of their ass and start hitting!

Latest posts