Nunge is Needed

From a hawkcentral article back in July.

"Playing more on the wing means McCaffery will have to knock down more 3-pointers, and he knows it. He said his long-range shot has been one of his main focuses this offseason — along with the consistent No. 1 goal of bulking up. (He’s up to 180 pounds now, by the way.)"

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...tlight-fran-mccaffery-keion-brooks/733067002/

For a comparison Pat is at 180, Uthoff is listed at 190 on his Rivals recruiting profile and he sat 2 years before playing a Big Ten game.
I'm 220, and I could tell you I was anywhere from 195 to 235 and unless you saw me step on a scale you'd have to believe it.

Aside from that, take a look at that kid, a real, objective look, and tell me what's going to happen when he's he's near the paint against a Nick Ward whether shooting or trying to rebound.

Oh, he's a wing shooter only? Well, then we're in the same boat we are now with a bunch of skinny shooters without the physicality to play defense and rebound. It doesn't work.

There are a couple of assumptions here that may or may not turn out to be true, though...

Bohannon isn't shooting anywhere near 40% so until or when/if he gets to that point, he's not equal to a 60% shooter. He's at .302 currently and using your example he's having a net negative effect on scoring right now. Will it stay that way? No one can predict that but how long do you keep giving him a leash?

He's also an abysmal 2 point shooter, and that's for his career, not just this year. Bohannon is at .386 total for his career from 2. What does that leave as far as creating scoring? Assists. Which with McCaffery playing have been cut by more than 50%.

Everyone likes to portray Bohannon as this sinper-like shooter, but with another guard on the team who plays better defense, half the assists than before, and no ability to penetrate (2 pt FG), all he has left is the three. Which isn't working. How many more games do you give him before you tell him to stop with the knee-jerk, half courters with someone in his face and tell him to either start taking higher-percentage shots or pass the ball to someone who can shoot from inside at better than 37%?

I'm fine with him making an effort to work his way to 21 feet and take those; I'm confident he can. And since he gets played man almost all of the time, the D is going to give him the same amount of space at 21 feet as they will at 28. But these hot potato bricks aren't going to cut the mustard.

The debate you originally brought up was about JBo's shooting of deep 3s not his 2 point FG% and assist numbers. I'm ok with his deep 3s because of his prior 2 years in which he has proven he can hit them. I'm not saying take ill advised deep shots when heavily guarded and early in the shot clock. I'm saying give him the green light if he's feeling it and wide open ie let him pick his spots if done so smartly.

I agree with you about his 2 point FG%, he has never been very good at consistently getting a shot to go within the arc. The assist numbers are down over 4 a game as a team and that's not all on JBo.

I'm 220, and I could tell you I was anywhere from 195 to 235 and unless you saw me step on a scale you'd have to believe it.

Aside from that, take a look at that kid, a real, objective look, and tell me what's going to happen when he's he's near the paint against a Nick Ward whether shooting or trying to rebound.

Oh, he's a wing shooter only? Well, then we're in the same boat we are now with a bunch of skinny shooters without the physicality to play defense and rebound. It doesn't work.

?? I absolutely agree with you and think Pat needs a year or two to add weight.

The debate you originally brought up was about JBo's shooting of deep 3s not his 2 point FG% and assist numbers. I'm ok with his deep 3s because of his prior 2 years in which he has proven he can hit them. I'm not saying take ill advised deep shots when heavily guarded and early in the shot clock. I'm saying give him the green light if he's feeling it and wide open ie let him pick his spots if done so smartly.

I agree with you about his 2 point FG%, he has never been very good at consistently getting a shot to go within the arc. The assist numbers are down over 4 a game as a team and that's not all on JBo.
I brought up the 2pts and assists because those are really the alternative ways to create points. He lacks in one, and has been negated now on the other, so that leaves his 3's. I think the only thing we disagree on how smart his shooting is.

I brought up the 2pts and assists because those are really the alternative ways to create points. He lacks in one, and has been negated now on the other, so that leaves his 3's. I think the only thing we disagree on how smart his shooting is.

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree. In my opinion I haven't seen too many poor shots by JBo this year from 3. He just hasn't been hitting them consistently, yet.

I thought you were debating the weight being an issue. Internets being lost in translation. My bad.

Nope, I've said several times in other threads I think Pat should redshirt and pointed out Uthoff taking 2 years sitting on the bench after HS to gain weight and he was 10 pounds heavier than Pat is now at the same age. ;)

Nope, I've said several times in other threads I think Pat should redshirt and pointed out Uthoff taking 2 years sitting on the bench after HS to gain weight and he was 10 pounds heavier than Pat is now at the same age. ;)
Pat is the same grade as Uthoff was but he actually turns 19 in March which is very old for a HS senior.

Pat is the same grade as Uthoff was but he actually turns 19 in March which is very old for a HS senior.

Ah yes, I forgot about that. So I guess my same age comment is partially right? :)

Either way I think most of us can agree he needs to continue to put on weight and he obviously knows this as well.

Ah yes, I forgot about that. So I guess my same age comment is partially right? :)

Either way I think most of us can agree he needs to continue to put on weight and he obviously knows this as well.
Pat knows it, and I have no doubt he’s working his tail off to put on weight. Unfortunately sometimes it’s just genetics.

Pat knows it, and I have no doubt he’s working his tail off to put on weight. Unfortunately sometimes it’s just genetics.
Having several times experienced people close to me going through radiation, I can definitely say that's probably the single biggest thing keeping him from doing it. Cancer treatments are complete hell on people's bodies.

My uncle weighed 248 lbs (I know because he told me a million times) when he started, got down to 165 after treatments, and lived the rest of his life just trying to keep it at 165. It was almost like it kept eating him up. He was naturally a big guy beforehand and he even ate more afterwards to try and gain some back. He hated "looking like a skeleton" is how he put it. I'm not a scientist by any stretch but I don't think his metabolism all the sudden got higher, I just don't think his body took on calories in the same way. Seen simlar with other friends and relatives.

I went from one of those weights to the other in eighteen months when I was in my forties and had a midlife rekindling of long distance running.

Now I'm ten years older and so are my knees. I wish I had Patrick's problem. But father time, as they say, is undefeated.

From a hawkcentral article back in July.

"Playing more on the wing means McCaffery will have to knock down more 3-pointers, and he knows it. He said his long-range shot has been one of his main focuses this offseason — along with the consistent No. 1 goal of bulking up. (He’s up to 180 pounds now, by the way.)"

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...tlight-fran-mccaffery-keion-brooks/733067002/

For a comparison Pat is at 180, Uthoff is listed at 190 on his Rivals recruiting profile and he sat 2 years before playing a Big Ten game.

Bo Ryan wanted to play Uthoff his true freshman year. He was physically good enough to contribute to a good Wisconsin team. Sitting out 2 years had nothing to do with his size. It did help him in the long run tho.

Having several times experienced people close to me going through radiation, I can definitely say that's probably the single biggest thing keeping him from doing it. Cancer treatments are complete hell on people's bodies.

My uncle weighed 248 lbs (I know because he told me a million times) when he started, got down to 165 after treatments, and lived the rest of his life just trying to keep it at 165. It was almost like it kept eating him up. He was naturally a big guy beforehand and he even ate more afterwards to try and gain some back. He hated "looking like a skeleton" is how he put it. I'm not a scientist by any stretch but I don't think his metabolism all the sudden got higher, I just don't think his body took on calories in the same way. Seen simlar with other friends and relatives.

That's interesting about your uncle. I had never heard that before that it can prevent you from gaining weight long after it's gone.

What's an average playing weight for someone his size?

Baer was listed at 6'7" 187 as a freshman (200 as a RS freshman & 218 now as a senior)
White was listed at 6'8" 225 as a freshman
Basabe was listed at 6'7" 225 as a freshman
Uthoff was listed at 6'8" 200 as a RS freshman
Uhl was listed at 6'8" 195 as a freshman

Baer was listed at 6'7" 187 as a freshman (200 as a RS freshman & 218 now as a senior)
White was listed at 6'8" 225 as a freshman
Basabe was listed at 6'7" 225 as a freshman
Uthoff was listed at 6'8" 200 as a RS freshman
Uhl was listed at 6'8" 195 as a freshman

Thanks. So he needs to add 15 pounds or so from last July to a year from now to be considered pretty skinny. Pretty much a pound per month.

How is Fran envisioning using him? Is he going to be closer to a 3 or 5? If they want him to play as a big man he needs to get stronger. Not necessarily a lot bigger. 240-250 would be great if he could get to it. But if he's going to be more of a 3/4 he's plenty big enough just not strong enough. He's a tweener in there and how he's going to be used matters as much as anything. Either way for his own career redshirting this year sure won't hurt him.

I actually like Nunge’s potential and agree that he gives you something as a big the others don’t. Having said that, he is not the answer to what ails the Hawks. He isn’t a three where he was forced to play at times out of position, and you haven’t needed him there as much with Joe W. holding that spot down. A more glaring weakness is quickness in the guardcourt which he wouldn’t solve either.