Nunge is Needed

Patrick is a top 50 player on ESPN despite his weight. This ranking comes from camps and the AAU circuit where he goes up against the nation's best players as well as his high school stats. He will see the court in the big 10 alot, unless for some reason Fran is no longer the coach at Iowa. He will not be a banger on the inside. He will be a long, tall, skilled player that can handle the ball, is somewhat athletic and knows the game. If he can knock down the outside shot with some consistency he will be very good for Iowa.
Looks like Clinton's brother has joined HN.

Fran played him out of position. People forget that early in the season he actually started 4 games alongside Cook in his natural position which included road games at ISU and at Va Tech. He put up really good numbers in those four starts.

As the season wore on Fran tried to jam him in at the 3 and wanted him to cover guards in man defense when Jack is 6’11.

Again check the stats. 4th in PER, 2nd in blocks, 4th in steals, 3rd in Box +/-, 5th in 3s made. Not bad for a 6’11 guy Fran was playing on the wing.

Good stuff. Just to be clear, I thought Nunge looked like a solid player last year and was just intrigued that he was written off by quite a few on this board. I was just reminding them.

So Nunge is going to sit out a season to redshirt, then transfer and sit out again? Let’s use some logic here. It may just be that most of these basketball players are more loyal to the program than some of it’s fans???

For some reason I was thinking that if he sits out this year, that he would be able to play right away next year at a different school. Let's say he transfers after the 1st semester wraps up, then he would be able to play once the 2nd semester starts, correct?

For some reason I was thinking that if he sits out this year, that he would be able to play right away next year at a different school. Let's say he transfers after the 1st semester wraps up, then he would be able to play once the 2nd semester starts, correct?

To my knowledge yes, but why waste a year of eligibility on basketball just to play two months? I think he is staying and this redshirt is legitimately intended for Nunge to get better and help this team long term. I could be wrong.

Looks like Clinton's brother has joined HN.

Lol.....I just find it a little more refreshing to try to look for the positive in things, instead of being negative about everything like many on this board. Seriously, the incessant bitching is borderline psychotic. Many won’t give Patrick a chance merely because he is Fran’s son. The same thing happened with Connor, yet I think he changed many people’s minds early this season. Patrick has some serious skill and if he can add weight he WILL be very good at Iowa.

Lol.....I just find it a little more refreshing to try to look for the positive in things, instead of being negative about everything like many on this board. Seriously, the incessant bitching is borderline psychotic. Many won’t give Patrick a chance merely because he is Fran’s son. The same thing happened with Connor, yet I think he changed many people’s minds early this season. Patrick has some serious skill and if he can add weight he WILL be very good at Iowa.
I'm one of the few on this board that's actually seen him play in person multiple times. My "not giving him a chance" has absolutely nothing to do with his father. He's simply not as good as people like you claim.

I'm one of the few on this board that's actually seen him play in person multiple times. My "not giving him a chance" has absolutely nothing to do with his father. He's simply not as good as people like you claim.
I don't disagree with you at all TK as I have not seen him play as you. But knowing Fran's recruiting efforts I doubt he'd have brought in anybody better...just equivalent.

That’s a Fran issue. To me Nunge is a better player than Kriener and Pemsl. Being that this is likely Cook’s last year and oh yeah the fact that we’ve missed the dance the last two years I think you should have all your best players playing if possible. That’s just my opinion.

Am I the only one who really likes Kreiner's game? I think he's a good player.

b31ab4777227c377a5f8577b395ace55.gif

Nunge struggled during conference play last year, his non conference numbers were solid. A good chunk of the regress was Fran moving him to the 3 due to Baer struggling and no other 3 on the team. This year's team has Joe that is taking 25-30 mpg from there and with the logjam at the 4, he saw he wasn't going t get the same minutes again. I think he could definitely help this years' team but at the cost of losing a year in which he could potentially be a major contributor. Smart move by him. I really like his skill set and think he has the chance to be a pretty darn good stretch big.

Maishe has never been a very efficient player and I've been lower on him than most as I'm more of a numbers guy. I think what people saw was him hitting the 3 last year and his length at the guard/wing positions so were hoping he could be a difference maker. He simply hasn't shown much on the offensive end this season now that his shot is struggling. He states he wants to be that "lock down defender" type of player but I honestly haven't seen that either to this point outside of a few good close outs against Pitt.

Most NOT named Gary Dolphin.

Cook can play the 4 or 5 as can Nunge. They started alongside each other last year for a few games and Nunge put up some good numbers.

I don’t disagree that this was a smart decision for Nunge. He knows who Fran is and he’s not changing his ways. To me Fran should be coaching for his job this year, but with GB at the helm that’s probably not the case. Nunge is a better basketball player than Kriener and Pemsl in my opinion and can help this team.

Again those are just my opinions. You can disagree with them but nobody has made any argument that would change my thought process on that.

Do teams even really have a 5 anymore. Teams don't seem to have a dominant "center". Many go small ball. What college team really has a specialized "center" like back in the day? Now most teams are made up of mostly 1-4's. One is that special true "PG" and many 2&3's are kind of universal. Iowa has a team of 2-4's, IMO. A bunch of 3&4's.

Am I the only one who really likes Kreiner's game? I think he's a good player.
Here’s RK’s line from the last three games.

28 minutes, 2 pts, 2 Rebs, 3 Turnovers, 5 fouls
0/4 FGs, 2/4 FTs

Last season he ranked 8th on the team in PER, 6th of the regulars in Rebound %, 3rd worst of the regulars in turnover %.

Look I like RK and think he’s a hard worker. Truly his role should probably be a reserve big man who can come in and take some fouls from time to time.

0/4 FGs, 2/4 FTs

Last season he ranked 8th on the team in PER, 6th of the regulars in Rebound %, 3rd worst of the regulars in turnover %.

Look I like RK and think he’s a hard worker. Truly his role should probably be a reserve big man who can come in and take some fouls from time to time.

You are nitpicking his bad stats. :)

He was 7-12 with 17 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal, 1 assist, and 1 turnover in 27 minutes while in New York. He's also 4th on the team in PER this season at 17.8 (excluding Michael Baer's 27.5 rating).

That said his PER is -8.1 the last two games in conference play. That just tells you how well he's played in the other games to still be 4th on the team.

I think he's a serviceable player in his current role. Just please stop jacking up deep 3s.

You are nitpicking his bad stats. :)

He was 7-12 with 17 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal, 1 assist, and 1 turnover in 27 minutes while in New York. He's also 4th on the team in PER this season at 17.8 (excluding Michael Baer's 27.5 rating).

That said his PER is -8.1 the last two games in conference play. That just tells you how well he's played in the other games to still be 4th on the team.

I think he's a serviceable player in his current role. Just please stop jacking up deep 3s.
He must love MSG. Remember he had a really good game last year in the B1G tourney against Michigan there.

I didn’t want to nitpick stats so I included the entire season last year. One thing I’ve noticed about PER is it tends to favor bigs, especially in college.

The issue for RK is he is an offensive minded big man. He’s got decent offensive skills, the problem is when you are coming in for spot minutes it’s going to be hard to get into an offensive rhythm on most nights. He often gets lost on defense and has to foul and like Garza isn’t the most fleet of foot.

He will have the occasional offensive night where he might get a few to go and get you 10 points, but at this point I’m not sure he’s proven to be a quality big at this level.

He must love MSG. Remember he had a really good game last year in the B1G tourney against Michigan there.

I didn’t want to nitpick stats so I included the entire season last year. One thing I’ve noticed about PER is it tends to favor bigs, especially in college.

The issue for RK is he is an offensive minded big man. He’s got decent offensive skills, the problem is when you are coming in for spot minutes it’s going to be hard to get into an offensive rhythm on most nights. He often gets lost on defense and has to foul and like Garza isn’t the most fleet of foot.

He will have the occasional offensive night where he might get a few to go and get you 10 points, but at this point I’m not sure he’s proven to be a quality big at this level.

I believe PER includes FG, FGA, and REB% in the formula so since bigs tend to have much higher FG% and REB% compared to guards, their PER is skewed a little bit.

The formula also includes PF and that is something Ryan has struggled with in years' past. He was last on the team with 6.9 PF per 40 minutes played last year. His PER is up this year and it can't be a coincidence because his PF per 40 minutes played is down to 3.8 so far this year.

0/4 FGs, 2/4 FTs

Yea. not good. I just remember flashes at times and hope he can bring a consistency. What is PER that you refer to?

Yea. not good. I just remember flashes at times and hope he can bring a consistency. What is PER that you refer to?

Player Efficiency Rating. Basically tries to add up all the stats and give a player one number. 15 even is considered the average player. Anything higher is good, anything less is bad.