Nunge is Needed

Yea. not good. I just remember flashes at times and hope he can bring a consistency. What is PER that you refer to?
It’s an advanced basketball statistic called Player Effiecieny Ratio. Like all statistics it has its flaws but it’s probably the best I’ve seen at showing the value of a player. As of 2016, a one Michael Jordan had the highest PER of all time followed by a Lebron James. Last year PER ranked Garza and Cook as our top two players.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_efficiency_rating

It’s an advanced basketball statistic called Player Effiecieny Ratio. Like all statistics it has its flaws but it’s probably the best I’ve seen at showing the value of a player. As of 2016, a one Michael Jordan had the highest PER of all time followed by a Lebron James. Last year PER ranked Garza and Cook as our top two players.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_efficiency_rating

Well, it seems pretty spot on.

I'm one of the few on this board that's actually seen him play in person multiple times. My "not giving him a chance" has absolutely nothing to do with his father. He's simply not as good as people like you claim.

I’m one of the few on this board who is good friends with the head coach of an opposing team in IC West’s conference. This coach has a different opinion than you. So no offense, but I’ll trust his judgement over yours at this point. The original post I was replying to said Patrick will never see the court in the big 10. That’s an idiotic analysis. Based on your vast high school basketball talent evaluation skills, that apparently only a few like you on this board are gifted to have, do you believe he is good enough to see the court or not in the big 10? Furthermore, why is your evaluation complety at odds with let’s say ESPN that has Patrick at #50, or #69 at 247sports, or #64 on Rivals? Which evaluation service do you work for again and where do you have Patrick ranked?

I’m one of the few on this board who is good friends with the head coach of an opposing team in IC West’s conference. This coach has a different opinion than you. So no offense, but I’ll trust his judgement over yours at this point. The original post I was replying to said Patrick will never see the court in the big 10. That’s an idiotic analysis. Based on your vast high school basketball talent evaluation skills, that apparently only a few on this board are gifted to have, do you believe he is good enough to see the court or not in the big 10. Furthermore, why is your evaluation complety at odds with let’s say ESPN that has Patrick at #50, or #69 at 247sports, or #64 on Rivals? Which evaluation service do you work for again and where do you have Patrick ranked?
Remember when he was Top 30? LoL.

Remember when he was Top 30? LoL.

That doesn’t help your argument. So which scouting service do you work for? I want to access your credibility as a talent evaluator. You know the evaluator you claim to be? If he had signed with a blue blood, he would be top 10. Then you would be bitching about how Fran cannot even attract his own kid. The fact he signed with Iowa caused him to drop. Come on man, you know how all this shit works. You, know, with all that experience you have as a talent evaluator.

That doesn’t help your argument. So which scouting service do you work for? I want to access your credibility as a talent evaluator. You know the evaluator you claim to be? If he had signed with a blue blood, he would be top 10. Then you would be bitching about how Fran cannot even attract his own kid. The fact he signed with Iowa caused him to drop. Come on man, you know how all this shit works. You, know, with all that experience you have as a talent evaluator.
I was telling everyone that he was overrated when he was Top 30. Shortly thereafter, all the scouting services started dropping him down.

I was telling everyone that he was overrated when he was Top 30. Shortly thereafter, all the scouting services started dropping him down.

So he dropped from #30 to at worst #69 at this point. How many top 70 players does Iowa bring in on a regular basis? Hell, top 100 for that matter? And all the scouting services have missed on Patrick McCaffery’s rating? All of them but you and the poster that said he’d never see the court in the big 10.

So he dropped from #30 to at worst #69 at this point. How many top 70 players does Iowa bring in on a regular basis? Hell, top 100 for that matter? And all the scouting services have missed on Patrick McCaffery’s rating? All of them but you and the poster that said he’d never see the court in the big 10.
Well, I was proven correct. Lol

I look at it this way. Most top 70 type players you expect to come in and make an instant impact. Take Cook, Weiskamp, even Garza who was about top 100.

I really don’t expect Pat to make much of an impact next year. Quite honestly I think he should probably redshirt.

With that said I do think he has a lot of basketball potential, and in a few years if he realizes that potential he can be a very quality B1G player.

When you get a chance watch this video of Pat. I watched last night and came away fairly unimpressed.

Pat got his points but he didn’t dominate the game the way you would have expected him to. Majority of his baskets he won’t be able to get at the college level. The kid has a long way to go before he will be making an impact at the B1G level in my opinion. With that said I still think he’s an interesting recruit who given time could develop into a very nice player.

You mean JB, right?

I think JB has proven he can hit the deep 3s and quite honestly at times in the past, that's all the team has working for it. I'm perfectly fine with him jacking them up. He's a career 41+% 3 point shooter including his struggles so far this season. You give a guy like that the green light any time he has space to get his shot off. JB's 3 point shooting has mathematically been the equivalent to shooting 60% from 2 for a post player.

40% * 100 * 3 = 120 points.
60% * 100 * 2 = 120 points.

When you get a chance watch this video of Pat. I watched last night and came away fairly unimpressed.

Pat got his points but he didn’t dominate the game the way you would have expected him to. Majority of his baskets he won’t be able to get at the college level. The kid has a long way to go before he will be making an impact at the B1G level in my opinion. With that said I still think he’s an interesting recruit who given time could develop into a very nice player.

He is probably a lot like Aaron White in the sense that he's a better basketball player than his skill set would suggest. White became our 2nd leading scorer all time by basically being a garbage man.

I'm assuming (but not sure) that he's bigger now than he was last year. I also assume he will be bigger next year than he is this year. Baer had a pretty solid freshman year and he was really skinny too. The good news is he doesn't play a position of need so next year it's no big deal if he doesn't contribute much. Hopefully Joe T and CJ can.

Tonight is a perfect example. When Garza isn’t in an offensive rhythm and the game is moving at a fast pace his lack of foot speed can get exposed in a hurry. Kriener basically in the same boat.

Nunge has the footspeed and size to give you defensive versatility at the forward spot. He can also knock down shots from the outside.

I’m not saying he would have changed the outcome of this game, but he is a different type of big that on certain nights we need. He is a better player than Kriener, in my opinion that’s pretty cut and dry.

I agree we need Nunge however for different reasons than most.We play very small inside and once we are into foul trouble the paint is open and there is little we can do. Garza is a nice player but cant stop an 8th grader inside. I am not saying Nunge is that guy ,cause he is not, but Nunge gives us 5 additional fouls inside that protect our better players and their longevity in a game. This is needed on the defensive end badly.

He is probably a lot like Aaron White in the sense that he's a better basketball player than his skill set would suggest. White became our 2nd leading scorer all time by basically being a garbage man.

I'm assuming (but not sure) that he's bigger now than he was last year. I also assume he will be bigger next year than he is this year. Baer had a pretty solid freshman year and he was really skinny too. The good news is he doesn't play a position of need so next year it's no big deal if he doesn't contribute much. Hopefully Joe T and CJ can.
That’s an interesting take. Most all analysis I’ve heard on Pat is that his basketball skills are remarkable for a guy that size. They say he’s a very good ball handler and passer for his size.

Aaron White was big, athletic, and smart. He just knew how to play, but most importantly he just played so hard. That is something that can’t really be taught.

Pat has two things going against him now. Lack of size/strength and the lack of a consistent outside shot. You should watch that video, if he’s put on size he still has a long way to go in that regard.

I think JB has proven he can hit the deep 3s and quite honestly at times in the past, that's all the team has working for it. I'm perfectly fine with him jacking them up. He's a career 41+% 3 point shooter including his struggles so far this season. You give a guy like that the green light any time he has space to get his shot off. JB's 3 point shooting has mathematically been the equivalent to shooting 60% from 2 for a post player.

40% * 100 * 3 = 120 points.
60% * 100 * 2 = 120 points.
There are a couple of assumptions here that may or may not turn out to be true, though...

Bohannon isn't shooting anywhere near 40% so until or when/if he gets to that point, he's not equal to a 60% shooter. He's at .302 currently and using your example he's having a net negative effect on scoring right now. Will it stay that way? No one can predict that but how long do you keep giving him a leash?

He's also an abysmal 2 point shooter, and that's for his career, not just this year. Bohannon is at .386 total for his career from 2. What does that leave as far as creating scoring? Assists. Which with McCaffery playing have been cut by more than 50%.

Everyone likes to portray Bohannon as this sinper-like shooter, but with another guard on the team who plays better defense, half the assists than before, and no ability to penetrate (2 pt FG), all he has left is the three. Which isn't working. How many more games do you give him before you tell him to stop with the knee-jerk, half courters with someone in his face and tell him to either start taking higher-percentage shots or pass the ball to someone who can shoot from inside at better than 37%?

I'm fine with him making an effort to work his way to 21 feet and take those; I'm confident he can. And since he gets played man almost all of the time, the D is going to give him the same amount of space at 21 feet as they will at 28. But these hot potato bricks aren't going to cut the mustard.

From a hawkcentral article back in July.

"Playing more on the wing means McCaffery will have to knock down more 3-pointers, and he knows it. He said his long-range shot has been one of his main focuses this offseason — along with the consistent No. 1 goal of bulking up. (He’s up to 180 pounds now, by the way.)"

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...tlight-fran-mccaffery-keion-brooks/733067002/

For a comparison Pat is at 180, Uthoff is listed at 190 on his Rivals recruiting profile and he sat 2 years before playing a Big Ten game.