Nunge is Needed

Fran played him out of position. People forget that early in the season he actually started 4 games alongside Cook in his natural position which included road games at ISU and at Va Tech. He put up really good numbers in those four starts.

As the season wore on Fran tried to jam him in at the 3 and wanted him to cover guards in man defense when Jack is 6’11.

Again check the stats. 4th in PER, 2nd in blocks, 4th in steals, 3rd in Box +/-, 5th in 3s made. Not bad for a 6’11 guy Fran was playing on the wing.

I don’t think Fran was forcing him to play the 3, he was trying to find ways to get Garza, Cook and Nunge on the floor at the same time.

Not saying he’s the savior. I’m saying he would have helped this team that needs all hands on deck to make the dance.

It was a mutual decision for Jack to redshirt for his development. If he had not, people would be bitching about how Fran was mis-managing his rotation.

It was a mutual decision for Jack to redshirt for his development. If he had not, people would be bitching about how Fran was mis-managing his rotation.
That’s a Fran issue. To me Nunge is a better player than Kriener and Pemsl. Being that this is likely Cook’s last year and oh yeah the fact that we’ve missed the dance the last two years I think you should have all your best players playing if possible. That’s just my opinion.

That’s a Fran issue. To me Nunge is a better player than Kriener and Pemsl. Being that this is likely Cook’s last year and oh yeah the fact that we’ve missed the dance the last two years I think you should have all your best players playing if possible. That’s just my opinion.

If Nunge is a true 4, he wasn’t going to get much time with Cook playing that spot this year. Plus you have Baer playing the 4. If Cook is gone after this year, and Baer will graduate, Nunge will move in to that starting position for three years. He will start next year, Pemsl can back him up, Kriener will back up Garza at the 5. By the sounds of it, it was Jack’s idea. Here is his quote:

After discussing with my family and coaching staff I have decided to redshirt this season," said Nunge. "This decision is not related to an injury, but rather I would like to take the opportunity to use this year to grow my skill set and get stronger. We have an incredibly deep team and I look forward to helping make my teammates and myself better in practice this season."

I wonder how Nunge would be doing if he had a coach like Olson, Davis, or even Raveling coaching him. It gets tiring seeing the other team making so many layups and dunks against Iowa. This coaching staff seems to be trying to play a certain style where the object of the game is to make more baskets and put up more points than the other team. I think this team has plenty of talent to compete if the coaching was in par with the other conference coaches. Once the other teams have figured out the Iowa scheme the defense is terrible. The offense is pretty bad too. The worse part of the matter is Iowa has an athletic director than rewards both Ferentz, and McCaffery for being average to below average so it isn't going to change. I think McCaffery is a pretty good guy, but he has made his millions at Iowa.

I just didn't see last year what you did. Part of the reason Fran played him out of position last year was because it was obvious the guy wasn't good at playing inside. I don't think Nunge all of a sudden takes some huge leap on his inside play since last year so much so that he passed up both Garza and Kriener who were light years ahead of him inside last year.

I sure hope not. With Garza, nunge, wieskamp, Patrick, Connor and CJ Fredrick...in a couple years we are going to form the whitest team since Hoosiers. Bring your sunglasses.
Slightly OT, but you’re hearing my prediction now...PM will not see the court in the Big Ten. He’s still 170 pounds and looks like a really short Manute Bol.

Can you imagine what would have happened to him tonight against MSU down low? Their forwards would have shattered the kid into a million pieces.

If Nunge is a true 4, he wasn’t going to get much time with Cook playing that spot this year. Plus you have Baer playing the 4. If Cook is gone after this year, and Baer will graduate, Nunge will move in to that starting position for three years. He will start next year, Pemsl can back him up, Kriener will back up Garza at the 5. By the sounds of it, it was Jack’s idea. Here is his quote:

After discussing with my family and coaching staff I have decided to redshirt this season," said Nunge. "This decision is not related to an injury, but rather I would like to take the opportunity to use this year to grow my skill set and get stronger. We have an incredibly deep team and I look forward to helping make my teammates and myself better in practice this season."
I can see Nike's point, as we are suddenly getting dangerously low on bodies, but I've had basically the same discussions with him that you are addressing. The thing is, when Jack made the decision, we had a logjam of bodies. Suddenly, we don't.

We were were counting on Pemsl and Kreiner to be solid contributors in the rotation. Now suddenly Cordell is down for the year and Ryan, in his junior year, is still showing only brief flashes.

I don't know what's up with Maishe. He's regressing. If Wiescamp can't answer the bell Thursday were going to need Dailey to be a huge factor.

Why do people think we are low bodies? We play 9 players in our rotation, that is plenty. You don't need to rip off Nunge RS to play him 3 minutes a night. That is just stupid. The other option is to find him 10+ minutes a night and then we got a 10 man rotation again.

Nunge struggled during conference play last year, his non conference numbers were solid. A good chunk of the regress was Fran moving him to the 3 due to Baer struggling and no other 3 on the team. This year's team has Joe that is taking 25-30 mpg from there and with the logjam at the 4, he saw he wasn't going t get the same minutes again. I think he could definitely help this years' team but at the cost of losing a year in which he could potentially be a major contributor. Smart move by him. I really like his skill set and think he has the chance to be a pretty darn good stretch big.

Maishe has never been a very efficient player and I've been lower on him than most as I'm more of a numbers guy. I think what people saw was him hitting the 3 last year and his length at the guard/wing positions so were hoping he could be a difference maker. He simply hasn't shown much on the offensive end this season now that his shot is struggling. He states he wants to be that "lock down defender" type of player but I honestly haven't seen that either to this point outside of a few good close outs against Pitt.

I just didn't see last year what you did. Part of the reason Fran played him out of position last year was because it was obvious the guy wasn't good at playing inside. I don't think Nunge all of a sudden takes some huge leap on his inside play since last year so much so that he passed up both Garza and Kriener who were light years ahead of him inside last year.
Jack started on the frontline for four games alongside Cook last December. This included games at Indiana and at Iowa State. Here was his line:

11 PPG / 4RPG / 1.75 BPG / 19.75 MPG
That’s a pretty darn good line for 19+ minutes.

Nobody would be asking Nunge to play inside offensively. We have Cook and Garza for that. He’s a stretch 4, he would give those two room to operate inside. What he does bring is the ability to move his feet and the size and length to alter shots and get steals.

Why do people think we are low bodies? We play 9 players in our rotation, that is plenty. You don't need to rip off Nunge RS to play him 3 minutes a night. That is just stupid. The other option is to find him 10+ minutes a night and then we got a 10 man rotation again.
Have you watched Kriener play the last two games? I’m not sure he’s a quality B1G in this league. FWIW I had been calling since last season for a frontline of Garza and Cook with Nunge as the primary reserve and Baer getting spot minutes at the 4.

We have nine bodies in our rotation. We don't necessarily have nine players, unless three of them step it up and two learn to stay out of foul trouble.

Fran basically had to go with six against Wisconsin because three couldn't get into the flow of the game.

Cook can play the 4 or 5 as can Nunge. They started alongside each other last year for a few games and Nunge put up some good numbers.

I don’t disagree that this was a smart decision for Nunge. He knows who Fran is and he’s not changing his ways. To me Fran should be coaching for his job this year, but with GB at the helm that’s probably not the case. Nunge is a better basketball player than Kriener and Pemsl in my opinion and can help this team.

Again those are just my opinions. You can disagree with them but nobody has made any argument that would change my thought process on that.

Cook can play the 4 or 5 as can Nunge. They started alongside each other last year for a few games and Nunge put up some good numbers.

I don’t disagree that this was a smart decision for Nunge. He knows who Fran is and he’s not changing his ways. To me Fran should be coaching for his job this year, but with GB at the helm that’s probably not the case. Nunge is a better basketball player than Kriener and Pemsl in my opinion and can help this team.

Again those are just my opinions. You can disagree with them but nobody has made any argument that would change my thought process on that.

Nunge started along side Cook for a few games until Garza stepped up and had a solid season. Nobody is disagreeing with you that Nunge is better than Pemsl and Kriener, but Jack's minutes still would have been cut dramatically this year. Next year he will be the guy at the 4 spot. Yes, he may have helped Iowa this year some, but he will be better next year with this year of development and he should be hungry. Nunge has redshirted, it isn't getting pulled, and spreading out the classes is never a bad thing. Especially with 5 or more spots to fill after next year.

Slightly OT, but you’re hearing my prediction now...PM will not see the court in the Big Ten. He’s still 170 pounds and looks like a really short Manute Bol.

Can you imagine what would have happened to him tonight against MSU down low? Their forwards would have shattered the kid into a million pieces.

Patrick is a top 50 player on ESPN despite his weight. This ranking comes from camps and the AAU circuit where he goes up against the nation's best players as well as his high school stats. He will see the court in the big 10 alot, unless for some reason Fran is no longer the coach at Iowa. He will not be a banger on the inside. He will be a long, tall, skilled player that can handle the ball, is somewhat athletic and knows the game. If he can knock down the outside shot with some consistency he will be very good for Iowa.

Nunge started along side Cook for a few games until Garza stepped up and had a solid season. Nobody is disagreeing with you that Nunge is better than Pemsl and Kriener, but Jack's minutes still would have been cut dramatically this year. Next year he will be the guy at the 4 spot. Yes, he may have helped Iowa this year some, but he will be better next year with this year of development and he should be hungry. Nunge has redshirted, it isn't getting pulled, and spreading out the classes is never a bad thing. Especially with 5 or more spots to fill after next year.
Trust me I’m not saying pull it now, and again I’m not saying this is a bad decision for Jack in the long run.

My stance is that Fran should be coaching for his job this season. If we don’t make the dance I believe he should be shown the door. Coaches in that position don’t normally advise guys to redshirt who can help the current team. But again with GB at the helm Fran knows he will get at least next season.

Patrick is a top 50 player on ESPN despite his weight. This ranking comes from camps and the AAU circuit
Again, big goddamn deal.

He's been on a gradual downhill slide in recruiting rankings since he entered into them. He's now 68th and 69th on the other two spots, and has fallen 32 spots since May of this year. Two things caused that..1) Scouts are seeing that hes not physically developing, and 2) He's not playing for the Barnstormers anymore where he looked like Dr. J. He's playing for D1 in Minnesota and he's the small fish in the big pond now.

He will see the court in the big 10 alot, unless for some reason Fran is no longer the coach at Iowa. He will not be a banger on the inside. He will be a long, tall, skilled player that can handle the ball, is somewhat athletic and knows the game. If he can knock down the outside shot with some consistency he will be very good for Iowa.
Your homerism is coming out. We have plenty of players who can "knock down" outside shots with consistency if they're open. But look no further than the MSU game last night. That skill doesn't do dick when you can't rebound, play inside, or get totally outmatched physically (size AND strength). The last thing this team needs are more skinny kids who can make threes all day long against high school players, but who can't post up or really play at all inside the three point line.

Bohannon is twice the shooter PM is, but how well does it work for him when he can't make his own looks, and can't muscle up on the other end, or stop guards from driving?

You act like no one has to be physically strong and play defense, and that we're just going to get easy, wide open uncontested jumpers all day. That ain't the Big Ten, and when you get to the ACC, etc. you also have to contend with size and quickness both.