Noah Fant 'Officially' NFL Bound / No Bowl Game

So why'd you spend three tedious paragraphs getting to this? Don't blame him for skipping the bowl game. Why risk getting hurt before the big pay-day? These "student-athletes" (my pasty white behind) make huge dollars not only for their universities, but for the leagues and the TV networks who air their games. Yeah, they get scholarships, room and board, free meals at the training table. But that's hardly pay for the kind of work they do every Saturday.

Good for Noah. Thanks for being a Hawkeye! Next man up.
Don't tell Melrose that...

Why would you assume that? You don't think Noah could possibly type that up on his own?

No I definitely think he could, seems like a bright kid, I bet he also made the layout and design that went with it and no one from Iowa even knew about this.

I don't think anybody's "outraged" by Kirk's comments. We're just pointing out how petty Kirk is, which we all knew even if some of us refuse to admit it.

I don't have a problem with my coaches being petty and wanting what's best for the team. I am sure he is petty. I think Kirk is human, but people act like him and staff didn't see this coming probably before the season even started. This is a contrived release IMO. That's how I read it.

I have one question...are you sure you were watching Iowa Football this year? Southern Mississippi has really similar uniforms. If you were watching Iowa Football...I would really recommend an eye exam. Are you approved to drive?

I think the lasting memory for me for 2018 Iowa Football is that we finally had receivers wide open...and our QB went all Jake Christianson on us. Go rewatch the Penn State game and let me know your thoughts.

No, you selectively read what I wrote, I am no Stanley fan. I am arguing that Hockenson was the better TE, and if we had to lose one....let it be Fant. Not getting Fant the ball, not getting the WRs' the ball....there were receivers wide open all over the middle of the field in the NW game. The noise about not getting Fant the ball could be applied to any of the receivers, and had Fant been targeted at a critical time, he probably would have dropped it any way.

First, I can assure you Noah did not write that statement himself.
Second, the term disappointed can mean many things in Ferentz's statement. But as usual, most fans are interpreting it the way they want, inserting their own bias into their interpretation.

No I definitely think he could, seems like a bright kid, I bet he also made the layout and design that went with it and no one from Iowa even knew about this.
I get it, you're old like me so you might not understand kids and technology today. There are SW apps that make designing stuff like that rather easy. I'm surprised all the time by what I see my nieces and nephews do on snapchat and the like.

I get it, you're old like me so you might not understand kids and technology today. There are SW apps that make designing stuff like that rather easy. I'm surprised all the time by what I see my nieces and nephews do on snapchat and the like.

So you think that graphic art design, which looks IDENTICAL to every single thing that Iowa puts out for things like players in the NFL and players who have accomplishments, was actually made by Noah and Iowa didn't have ANY part in it? I'm old but not completely blind. That's the same layout and design they use for everything.

So you think that graphic art design, which looks IDENTICAL to every single thing that Iowa puts out for things like players in the NFL and players who have accomplishments, was actually made by Noah and Iowa didn't have ANY part in it? I'm old but not completely blind. That's the same layout and design they use for everything.
Dude, you might be correct, but those layouts are seen all over the place on the college and high school level. Did the UofI do everyone else's designs as well? There wasn't nearly as much time put into that design that you think there was. My buddy has a kid that could gem that up in about 20 minutes.

So why'd you spend three tedious paragraphs getting to this? Don't blame him for skipping the bowl game. Why risk getting hurt before the big pay-day? These "student-athletes" (my pasty white behind) make huge dollars not only for their universities, but for the leagues and the TV networks who air their games. Yeah, they get scholarships, room and board, free meals at the training table. But that's hardly pay for the kind of work they do every Saturday.

Good for Noah. Thanks for being a Hawkeye! Next man up.

I agree, they get ripped off all things considered (I think they should get some type of minimum wage or health insurance from the U of I in addition to all other benefits). And, the allure of an NFL paycheck, along with risk of getting hurt is awfully hard to turn down. But then again, they could always get hurt during the regular season as well.

I guess I kind of feel bad for his teammates because him leaving early hurts the team's bowl chances for a win. I don't blame him (I really don't for the sake of his career moving forward), but I don't exactly think it is a clean, honorable exit from the U of I either. This is one of those rare occasions where I think Ferentz using the words "disappointed" is probably appropriate (especially if more was going on with Fant than we know as the public).

Last edited:
First, I can assure you Noah did not write that statement himself.
Second, the term disappointed can mean many things in Ferentz's statement. But as usual, most fans are interpreting it the way they want, inserting their own bias into their interpretation.

1000% - this over and over and over but if you say differently than people are going to try and make you look dumb.

Dude, you might be correct, but those layouts are seen all over the place on the college and high school level. Did the UofI do everyone else's designs as well? There wasn't nearly as much time put into that design that you think there was. My buddy has a kid that could gem that up in about 20 minutes.

you got 18 minutes left to prove your point ;)

You know what. F Fant. Total Husker move to announce this way before it was neccessary. No way that this wasn't a F you to the coaches. It's pretty sad that it might actually hurt his teammates by impacting our bowl slot. I haven't blamed Fant for any of this until now. I get looking out for yourself and I get skipping the bowl game, but there is no excuse for the early announcement. Fant will be the first Hawkeye drafted in 15 years that I will not be buying their jersey. I'm so over the name Fant.

1000% - this over and over and over but if you say differently than people are going to try and make you look dumb.
Yeah, the U totally created both Kirk's and Fant's statements. They thought it would be cool to have Noah appear so grateful for the U and have an extremely lengthy statement while Kirk says "We're disappointed but we wish him well." You'd think both statements would be at least in somewhat of the same tone and context, but I guess not. Silly me. :oops:

You know what. F Fant. Total Husker move to announce this way before it was neccessary. No way that this wasn't a F you to the coaches. It's pretty sad that it might actually hurt his teammates by impacting our bowl slot. I haven't blamed Fant for any of this until now. I get looking out for yourself and I get skipping the bowl game, but there is no excuse for the early announcement. Fant will be the first Hawkeye drafted in 15 years that I will not be buying their jersey. I'm so over the name Fant.
You should audition for one of those real housewives TV shows.

Fant should have been in the slot or in an H-back position for his entire career here. That's what smart coaches do when they have poor WR talent. If you're worried about his blocking, put him on the outside and have him run deep routes on run plays. That's every bit as good as a block in his case.

Great coaches find a way to use the talent they get. Average coaches do what they do.

Personally, I think almost everything that escapes out of Fort Kinnick, from the players, to what they say, to what they type, to what they do.... at least while in IC, has the coaches, the university staff's mark on it. Not every time, but most of time. I think they discussed this with Noah, he told them, they might have pushed back a little, but ultimately they helped him write up the announcement and they had it planned down to the second he released it. That's just what I think. I don't have any thing to say that's for certain, just what I have gleaned off watching this program for 20 years.

Yeah, the U totally created both Kirk's and Fant's statements. They thought it would be cool to have Noah appear so grateful for the U and have an extremely lengthy statement while Kirk says "We're disappointed but we wish him well." You'd think both statements would be at least in somewhat of the same tone and context, but I guess not. Silly me. :oops:

I still don't see what's wrong with being disappointed? I am to. I am sure they all are. What's wrong with it? Should Kirk have said "We are elated with Noah leaving the team before the season is officially over, we couldn't more proud"? No way, he's disappointed. Why wouldn't he be?

plenty between the lines there.
Exactly, I especially like the part: "as he pursues his goal of playing in the NFL." As if he might not make it. I can only think of one reason he wouldn't make it at this point, but Kirk would never do that cuz he's not a petty person. :rolleyes:

This is kind of how I feel to. Again, we really can't blame him, but I think moving forward he will not thought of in the same light as other past great past players like Dwight, Banks, Long, Greenway, Clark, Gallery, etc. From a team perspective, from a fan perspective, it is disappointing. But, you have to let him go if that is what he wants.