Noah Fant 'Officially' NFL Bound / No Bowl Game

So let me get this straight. Is he not DRESSING in the bowl game, or are the coaches going to continue to not USE him in the bowl game? Either way, it's the same team as the regular season, I guess.

:D Was just thinking, BriFer won't have to change a thing in his inept gameplan. No Noah, BFD! Business as usual, eh, Bri? :mad:

Wow! Noah's tweet/announcement was a hell of a lot more professional and grateful than Kirk's petty comment. Believe it or not, some people still think Kirk doesn't hold grudges against players. :rolleyes:
Let us know when you start P5 coaching. Actually, don't.

Let us know when you start P5 coaching. Actually, don't.
giphy.gif

To be honest, I'm sure he's a good guy and all and I wish him well but I'm kind of glad in a way it's all finally done and he is moving on. I know he's a good talent but the drama of everything was really getting annoying. The family statements, the mind frame of the family and possibly Fant himself. I mean they really started to come off as being all about them and not appreciative of where playing for Iowa got him. Time to move on.

Oh, on a side note, I get the choosing not to play in a bowl game for players, but that is not honoring your commitment to a team or program, IMO. That's saying, "Hey, I got what I want out of this so screw you all. Good luck." I just think it is morally wrong. I don't like where this is going in college sports.

Please don't put me on blast ... but is it possible that Kirk is "disappointed" that Noah isn't playing the bowl game? And if so, is that a bad thing? Being disappointed in not having one of your best players available to you would seem like a normal reaction.

To be honest, I'm sure he's a good guy and all and I wish him well but I'm kind of glad in a way it's all finally done and he is moving on. I know he's a good talent but the drama of everything was really getting annoying. The family statements, the mind frame of the family and possibly Fant himself. I mean they really started to come off as being all about them and not appreciative of where playing for Iowa got him. Time to move on.

Oh, on a side note, I get the choosing not to play in a bowl game for players, but that is not honoring your commitment to a team or program, IMO. That's saying, "Hey, I got what I want out of this so screw you all. Good luck." I just think it is morally wrong. I don't like where this is going in college sports.
The good thing is Noah doesn't give two shits what you think is morally wrong.

Please don't put me on blast ... but is it possible that Kirk is "disappointed" that Noah isn't playing the bowl game? And if so, is that a bad thing? Being disappointed in not having one of your best players available to you would seem like a normal reaction.
Compare Noah's tweet to Kirk's comments. Which one seems more heartfelt? Which one seems more grateful? Which one seems more professional?

On one hand, I think it is karma for the coaching staff for misusing Fant this year with him leaving early. On the other hand, I still don't know if I really agree fully with players forgoing the bowl game to declare early for the NFL draft. It kind of seems like a dick move against your own team.

To play Devil's Advocate, it would be something if all along, Fant was a distraction in the locker room and a cancer is being removed by him leaving early. I think that is more than unlikely though. I think he was more unused by the coaching staff than that was the case.

But, I don't really see anyway you can stop it either unless the Pros were to establish some rule where it could hurt their draft stock....but they will never do that. I could see the universities (if they have not already, I'm not sure) have some rule where athletes would have to pay back a certain portion of their scholarship for leaving the team early for the NFL, but that will not stop a player from doing it who will make an NFL paycheck...especially in the 1st round.

All we can really say is good luck and thanks for being a Hawkeye.

If it were my kid, I would have advised him not to play in the bowl game either. An exhibition game that you could be hurt in that if you just stay out of you'll be a millionaire? Easy decision. I think he's more than fulfilled any obligation he had to the University of Iowa. The deal is, it probably IS a disappointment to the staff and team. Why wouldn't be? This is exact opposite of the Dolph situation, if we're outraged by the staff and team being disappointed maybe we're the snowflakes?

Compare Noah's tweet to Kirk's comments. Which one seems more heartfelt? Which one seems more grateful? Which one seems more professional?

Noah's for sure. No argument, but let's not act like Iowa's PR didn't help Noah with his statement too.

If it were my kid, I would have advised him not to play in the bowl game either. An exhibition game that you could be hurt in that if you just stay out of you'll be a millionaire? Easy decision. I think he's more than fulfilled any obligation he had to the University of Iowa. The deal is, it probably IS a disappointment to the staff and team. Why wouldn't be? This is exact opposite of the Dolph situation, if we're outraged by the staff and team being disappointed maybe we're the snowflakes?
I don't think anybody's "outraged" by Kirk's comments. We're just pointing out how petty Kirk is, which we all knew even if some of us refuse to admit it.

All we can really say is good luck and thanks for being a Hawkeye.

So why'd you spend three tedious paragraphs getting to this? Don't blame him for skipping the bowl game. Why risk getting hurt before the big pay-day? These "student-athletes" (my pasty white behind) make huge dollars not only for their universities, but for the leagues and the TV networks who air their games. Yeah, they get scholarships, room and board, free meals at the training table. But that's hardly pay for the kind of work they do every Saturday.

Good for Noah. Thanks for being a Hawkeye! Next man up.

I don't think anybody's "outraged" by Kirk's comments. We're just pointing out how petty Kirk is, which we all knew even if some of us refuse to admit it.

I think it's funny to think that all of these releases aren't coming out of the SAME place, written and done all at the same time with the help of all the same people.

It's going to be the way of the future anyway. Each year more and more players are bowing out and I don't blame them a bit. With so much guaranteed money available to early round picks, why would you take a chance at getting hurt like Jaylon Smith? That cost him tens of millions of guaranteed dough.

There are so many bowl games now they don't mean squat except for some of the original New Years games, and really, the vast majority should just go away. That way making one would actually mean something.

Up until the 90s making a bowl game meant you were one of the top teams in the country. Now, it literally only means you have a .500 record.