Noah Fant 'Officially' NFL Bound / No Bowl Game

I still think Fant was a sub-par blocker. Doesn't mean he wasn't a massive offensive weapon and deserved a ton more reps than he was given though. But I think if you break it down, TJ got more reps this year because he was a lot better blocker....like a LOT better.

Again...I feel I must repeat that Fant was used terribly all season except for a few games.
Fant should have been in the slot or in an H-back position for his entire career here. That's what smart coaches do when they have poor WR talent. If you're worried about his blocking, put him on the outside and have him run deep routes on run plays. That's every bit as good as a block in his case.

I thought so, but some guys who are much better at Xs and Os than me observed that Fant was not always 100% engaged when he wasn't the primary target.
Yeah, I think there might have been a little bit of that in the last few games of the season. Can't really blame him.

Loved having Fant here and I think he’s a great kid. He put up with a lot.

But, he’s not going to be someone who associates himself with being a Hawk the way that Pat Angerer or Dallas Clark, or Josey Jewell do. You just think Hawkeyes when their names come up.

Fant is a guy who came here because at the time Iowa offered the best chance at making the NFL as a tight end, and because Mike Riley had destroyed the Nebraska program by that point.

Noah is a Husker at heart who didn’t really want to come here, and had no choice because his preferred team was on fire. Can’t blame him for any of that and I wish him nothing but the best. I’m just glad the Huskers suck and that we didn’t have to play against him.

Not disputing much of what you are saying, but Noah Fant committed to Iowa before Mike Riley even coached a game at Nebraska. They were coming off a 9 win season and Iowa a 7 win season. Just FWIW.

I said no bowl game.

tenor.gif

I bet if he had went to Nebraska he'd be playing in their bowl game.

Chicken or egg? Does skipping the bowl game tell you something about why he wasn’t used more this season or is he skipping the bowl game in part because of the the way he felt he was used this season?

If I’m an NFL GM and a kid bails on his team for a bowl game, he would drop on my draft board. That would be more true at less injury prone positions. It is more understandable at RB than say TE.

Also, love Noah Fant and glad he was a Hawk but I’m also glad that 4th and 8 ball vs NE went to TJ and not Fant.

Chicken or egg? Does skipping the bowl game tell you something about why he wasn’t used more this season or is he skipping the bowl game in part because of the the way he felt he was used this season?

If I’m an NFL GM and a kid bails on his team for a bowl game, he would drop on my draft board. That would be more true at less injury prone positions. It is more understandable at RB than say TE.

Also, love Noah Fant and glad he was a Hawk but I’m also glad that 4th and 8 ball vs NE went to TJ and not Fant.
Well, we haven't seen any type of bad attitude out of him and Kirk himself has said Noah is a great team player, so...

Good for Fant, he made the right decision. But I think that Hock was and is a better TE. All of the noise about Stanley not getting Fant the ball is BS, how many drops in critical situations has Fant had over the last three years. I can think of four off the top of my head, and there were probably more. I hope he does well in the NFL, but if one stays and the other goes, I'm glad it is Hockenson that may stay.

The Noah Fant problem is really the epitome of why Iowa hasn't really been able to reach the next level. It's the idea that things need to look a certain way. It's really this "inside the box" thinking. In this example, our two best players were each TEs but in the Iowa system we don't have two TEs on the field each play.

Play the hand that is dealt and find a way to maximize your advantages and minimize your disadvantages, regardless if it fits the system or not. This goes for every game and every situation. There are some games we should just come out and pass every down out of the 22 formation.

I guess Noah can return the favor by skipping the Bowl game and hitting the coaches in their pocket books, when they fail to get that Bowl victory bonus. If they fail to get that Bowl win, of course.

Sometimes...a lot of times, I can’t fucking stand Ferentz. Why would he be disappointed in the bowl game decision?

Good for Fant, he made the right decision. But I think that Hock was and is a better TE. All of the noise about Stanley not getting Fant the ball is BS, how many drops in critical situations has Fant had over the last three years. I can think of four off the top of my head, and there were probably more. I hope he does well in the NFL, but if one stays and the other goes, I'm glad it is Hockenson that may stay.

I have one question...are you sure you were watching Iowa Football this year? Southern Mississippi has really similar uniforms. If you were watching Iowa Football...I would really recommend an eye exam. Are you approved to drive?

I think the lasting memory for me for 2018 Iowa Football is that we finally had receivers wide open...and our QB went all Jake Christianson on us. Go rewatch the Penn State game and let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
I'm sure the creative Iowa coaching staff will be able to make up for a huge part of their offense not being around for the bowl game.

Oh, who am I kidding. Unknown opponent favored by a billion.

I personally hope Hockenson goes off for like 10 catches, 160 yrds and 2 scores in the bowl game. We are not guaranteed he's going to be in the bowl game, either, I guess.

Yikes. Not a glowing endorsement.

Why even say the disappointed part. Why not just wish him luck on his future in the NFL and thank him for attending the school.

Between this and how Dolph situation, it just shows how out of touch our coaches really are. I blame Barta for putting them up on such a pedestal that both KF and Fran think their shit don't stink.

Bowl games literally have 0 impact on draft status unless you get hurt. There is more than enough tape on players the bowl doesn't matter. Matter of fact the outcome of the bowl games DON'T MATTER, but don't tell that to people around here.