Nixon enters transfer portal

We probably won't ever know the answer why he is transferring. The question is how do we replace the depth after losing A. Nelson, Kallenberger, Simon and now Nixon. They probably have 3 known players at DE and DT that we can can count on. But it seems like the coaches want an 8 man rotation on the DL.

I'm including Shannon and Waggoner in the mix as the 3rd option at each spot. But, who knows if they will be ready to compete at the BIG level.

We probably won't ever know the answer why he is transferring. The question is how do we replace the depth after losing A. Nelson, Kallenberger, Simon and now Nixon. They probably have 3 known players at DE and DT that we can can count on. But it seems like the coaches want an 8 man rotation on the DL.

I'm including Shannon and Waggoner in the mix as the 3rd option at each spot. But, who knows if they will be ready to compete at the BIG level.

Kallenberger? He’s an OL we’re you thinking of Linderbaum? Both have long names.

The best solution to solve Iowa's sudden defensive line depth issue is to produce a reliable and effective running game. The most recent, 2-3 yards, avoiding a fumble, and punting (using the term in a broad sense) keeps the scoring down and avoids turnovers but drains the defensive line's energy like a weak and dying battery in -30 temperatures.

I've heard two scenarios on this, the first being that this is similar to the Marcus Coker situation and he's been suspended by the University and not the coaching staff and he'll effectively never play at Iowa.
The second is that he is in good standing with the University and Kirk and that he entered his name in the portal more as a precaution than anything else. Hopefully that's the case.

It could also be a BS title 9 case, where he and girl have a dispute about an encounter being consensual. He’s saying yes and she’s saying no and there is no evidence either way, now his name is dirt.

I saw a tweet reposted in the comments of the GIA gone baby gone article for Brandon Simon.

Ah yes, I found what you are talking about. Looks like his dad confirmed it too. Holy cow, the hits keep coming. We're going to be relying on RS FR walk-ons if we don't get some JCs/transfers

First, does this 100% mean he's gone? Is this sort of an intermediate spot where he could be making the decision to stay vs. go? Either way, does not seem good.

Second, to all of the completely/blindly homer fans on this board, the types that grab their torches and pitchforks whenever anyone comments on the program's recruiting results and talent strategies - take a good long look at the roster. Tell me if you think, "we're never going to get 4 and 5 star guys, so stop pretending like we will" is the right attitude.

With 20-25 recruits signed each year, do you think that Iowa can AFFORD to have 5-10 of them come in as truly under-talented prospects? Do you think the Iowa program and our style of play allows us the opportunity to not have competitive depth all across the roster? Every position, at every moment, is susceptible to an injury or a transfer or whatever it may be. Look at the best programs in the country, they're loaded with talent at every spot on the field. Iowa is not this way. There are many rungs on the ladder between Iowa and Clemson/Bama. But if want to improve, it starts with roster depth and a fuller recruiting strategy.

I also love some things about the way Iowa recruits. They give big opportunities to a lot of local kids, who aren't being recruited by other big schools. Many of those guys become successful Pros. But this format leaves you with holes and talent gaps. Hence, a great season every 3-6 years, and many good-average seasons in between.

Lattimore has yet to show flashes of Jaleel Johnson-type play. I'd be surprised if it all came together his senior year, but here's to hoping. I really had high-hopes for Linderbaum, but he's gone now due to poor recruiting on the O-line. Regardless, the early departures of Fant, Hockenson, Hooker, and Nelson snuffed out any high hopes I had for the '19 season.

Everyone is gone. 6 - 7 next year. There is no hope.

It could also be a BS title 9 case, where he and girl have a dispute about an encounter being consensual. He’s saying yes and she’s saying no and there is no evidence either way, now his name is dirt.

Correct, that's why I referenced Marcus Coker. Pretty much the exact same circumstances that unfolded.

Correct, that's why I referenced Marcus Coker. Pretty much the exact same circumstances that unfolded.

When I was in a fraternity at Iowa we went on a panty raid and for the first time ever the sorority flipped out and wanted everyone involved locked up (calm down no one was hurt, just some panties thrown on the lawn) - this type of activity had always been handled within the inter-greek council in prior years but during this time the war between the sexes went from cold to arctic frigid. (and has gotten worse since)

The modern religion of PCness added to being ticketed for things that used to get you a warning has made being a college football player much much more difficult than it used to be - and of course this truth doesn't make life any easier for coaches.

Latest posts