Nixon enters transfer portal

I've poked around on this the last few days and it sounds like being in the transfer portal is a precautionary move. He's not for sure leaving. It's complicated and I don't have enough facts to say more at this time. But it's not a done deal that he's gone.

Also, we have a Kirk Ferentz press conference today at 12:30. Hoping the coach can shed some more light on this story.

Rob, For the inquiring minds like me, I'm sure he'll a ton of questions about the early departures and what that all means, but I'd like to know whether there is any discussion about extending the time period for these kids to declare, or if he'd support something like that. The draft isn't until late April, making them decide more than 3 months before, when they're just coming off the season, and haven't had a lot of time to consider everything or even get what is a reasonable assessment of their draft position. The NFL could probably get a whiff about the welfare of these guys, only to the extent they think they can help their organizations. I get that from their end, they're running a business, but I don't think they necessarily have the best interests of the guys coming out in mind. 133 guys - that's more than 4 rounds of picks, of just underclassmen. Some are going to end up undrafted, no doubt, when another year in school may have helped them develop into a legit draft pick. Those who go undrafted are screwed. They have to wait an entire year without any formal football training to see if they can get noticed again? Fat chance of that for most of them. It seems like more time, to get them more information, would be in their best interest. If they still want to come out early, so be it - more power to them, but why the rush?

Rob, For the inquiring minds like me, I'm sure he'll a ton of questions about the early departures and what that all means, but I'd like to know whether there is any discussion about extending the time period for these kids to declare, or if he'd support something like that. The draft isn't until late April, making them decide more than 3 months before, when they're just coming off the season, and haven't had a lot of time to consider everything or even get what is a reasonable assessment of their draft position. The NFL could probably get a whiff about the welfare of these guys, only to the extent they think they can help their organizations. I get that from their end, they're running a business, but I don't think they necessarily have the best interests of the guys coming out in mind. 133 guys - that's more than 4 rounds of picks, of just underclassmen. Some are going to end up undrafted, no doubt, when another year in school may have helped them develop into a legit draft pick. Those who go undrafted are screwed. They have to wait an entire year without any formal football training to see if they can get noticed again? Fat chance of that for most of them. It seems like more time, to get them more information, would be in their best interest. If they still want to come out early, so be it - more power to them, but why the rush?

Guys that go undrafted can sign as free agents. It's worked out for other Hawkeyes.

As I wrote in another thread, they're betting on themselves instead of taking hits in college. There are only so many they can take. I get it. I also understand the idea of returning and bettering you stock. It really is an individual decision.

I remember talking with Tyler Sash when he was weighing his decision. He had sustained several concussions and also dealt with a shoulder injury. He just wanted to try the pros before he broke down. It's more than just one major injury that can take these guys out. It can be a cumulative effect. I've talked to quite a few former Hawkeyes who played in the NFL. Their bodies will never be the same and they deal with pain daily.

As far as your first point, the deadline should most certainly be later. But, as you said, the NFL doesn't care. Player personnel people want you all in as soon as possible so they can start evaluating and setting up their draft boards. They're worried about their jobs.

In the NBA, I think it's like two weeks before the draft that a player can withdraw. It's a far better system for the athletes and colleges. Then again, there are a lot fewer players.

Guys that go undrafted can sign as free agents. It's worked out for other Hawkeyes.

As I wrote in another thread, they're betting on themselves instead of taking hits in college. There are only so many they can take. I get it. I also understand the idea of returning and bettering you stock. It really is an individual decision.

I remember talking with Tyler Sash when he was weighing his decision. He had sustained several concussions and also dealt with a shoulder injury. He just wanted to try the pros before he broke down. It's more than just one major injury that can take these guys out. It can be a cumulative effect. I've talked to quite a few former Hawkeyes who played in the NFL. Their bodies will never be the same and they deal with pain daily.

As far as your first point, the deadline should most certainly be later. But, as you said, the NFL doesn't care. Player personnel people want you all in as soon as possible so they can start evaluating and setting up their draft boards. They're worried about their jobs.

In the NBA, I think it's like two weeks before the draft that a player can withdraw. It's a far better system for the athletes and colleges. Then again, there are a lot fewer players.
I agree; I'm not faulting any guy for trying to make it or taking his shot when he wants to, it's just a chilly world in the NFL. Playing football in the first instance is volitional - that includes enduring the consequences of playing football at the college level (and beyond for some). All that, they should be given more time before making such a big decision. In 2018, in the AFC there were 175 undrafted free agents, 39 of them are on rosters - 22%. But, take your chance if you want - there will be a 2019 Hawkeye team out there, and I'll be all in, that won't change.

In a way it helps the University to know sooner so they have a little time to try and fill those spots with transfers or new recruits. Plus, the kids don't have to go to class and can prepare full time for the draft if the deadline is in early January.

At least get your facts straight.

Iowa was 4-1 vs P5 teams with losing records (Sole loss to Purdue)
Iowa was 3-3 vs P5 teams with winning records (Wins over Minnesota, ISU and Miss. St.) .

I think ultimately this should have been a 10-11 win team, they had the talent for that, and the 4 losses they had were just all so winnable.
Facts were just fine. Two during the regular season. It took a bowl win for Minnesota to have a winning record

Facts were just fine. Two during the regular season. It took a bowl win for Minnesota to have a winning record

Your "facts" only work if you put conditions on them, and twist reality. I mean the last time I checked Bowl games count towards your record, and the record books. Iowa beat 3 P5 teams with winning records.

Interesting fact about beating teams with winning records. Miss. St. beat 2 P5 schools with winning records. Their other 6 wins were vs non P5 teams and teams with ACTUAL losing records.

I agree it would be nice to give the college players more time to declare. But I think part of the problem is when the combines and pro days take place how much notice all involved need to have to invite players, etc.

When is the combine? when are invites sent out?? They have to declare in order to get noticed and invited.

And I doubt you can go to a pro day without having declared.

I've poked around on this the last few days and it sounds like being in the transfer portal is a precautionary move. He's not for sure leaving. It's complicated and I don't have enough facts to say more at this time. But it's not a done deal that he's gone.

Also, we have a Kirk Ferentz press conference today at 12:30. Hoping the coach can shed some more light on this story.

Precautionary in that if later this semester his grades tank then maybe he can transfer to a school where his grades are allowed. I agree it might be precautionary.

Did I hear that the NCAA is considering removing the restriction this off season about transfers needing to sit out a year? If that is the case I could see that be the just in case scenario?

I really wish some of the local reporters would get the staff on record to clear up what is going on with this guy.

I agree it would be nice to give the college players more time to declare. But I think part of the problem is when the combines and pro days take place how much notice all involved need to have to invite players, etc.

When is the combine? when are invites sent out?? They have to declare in order to get noticed and invited.

And I doubt you can go to a pro day without having declared.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2018-19-important-nfl-dates/

NFL Combine is Feb 26 - March 4

Latest posts