Nixon enters transfer portal

You're obviously my biggest fan. ;)

Seeing you double, tripled, heck even quadrupled down on Locure, a player Iowa never even offered, has been kindda sad really. You needed this kind of departure to do some real Ferentz/Iowa/coach bashing.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if your grades aren’t up to snuff I don’t think you can transfer to another D1 institution.

It isn’t grades. He hasn’t been practicing since like October, some speculation it is like the Coker situation in that the university might be driving this.

Seeing you double, tripled, heck even quadrupled down on Locure, a player Iowa never even offered, has been kindda sad really. You needed this kind of departure to do some real Ferentz/Iowa/coach bashing.
Like I said, you're my biggest fan. :)

I’m kinda surprised anyone ever expected to see him play in a game for Iowa.

Ever since it was announced that he was going to JC to get his grades in order it smelled like a situation where every single thing had to go exactly right for him to play at Iowa.

It happens sometimes (Clinton Solomon) but usually once a player is out of the fold (grades, not practicing for whatever non-injury reason) for an entended period of time, it spells the end for him at Iowa.

Best of luck to him whatever he decides

What makes everything even more interesting is the moving for a dt to ol.
Seems to me that as was mentioned with the high caliber de's a dt would find a time to shine.
If Nixion isn't going to play, the stars are aligning for someone to step in/up and be able to make it name for themselves.

Well I do hope there's a couple grey-shirt players just waiting in the wings to make people wonder why they weren't already on scholly.

Probably changed his mind and decided to accept Saban’s offer to attend Alabama?
They just hauled in 27 4 and 5 star recruits. Go sit behind 10 5 star lineman for 4 years, instead of start the next four for a solid team, that returns almost zero d lineman. Real men of genius.

If this is anything but grades I don't understand it at all. He would pretty much be a lock for a big role in 2019.

Iowa has gotten a lot of good things out of helping out young men who need it and going the extra mile to help them improve themselves. But sometimes, despite all your efforts, you get someone who takes your efforts and regards them as nothing. Shrug.

Ouch! I nor anyone obviously knows how good he is, however, he appeared to me the only real possibility, because of his size and athleticism, for us to have a playmaker at DT. Guys like Reiff, Brincks, Bazata, M. Nelson, are good and solid, but our defenses are really good when we have a playmaker in the middle like Jaleel Johnson, J. Babineaux, Ballard or Mike Daniels. Nixon could have been one of those guys, ate up double teams and stuff the run up the middle. 2 mismatches on the defensive line would be really hard to move the ball against.

Oh well.

It isn’t grades. He hasn’t been practicing since like October, some speculation it is like the Coker situation in that the university might be driving this.
Could you elaborate on this a little bit? I'm curious what side of the Coker issue may be in play here. Does the University want to shut him down because of the way he entered the program?

A lot of my irrational hopes for the 2019 season were pinned to Nixon being an immediate disruptive force. Oh well. Here's to an awesome senior season by Lattimore, I think he could potentially be that Jaleel Johnson type in the middle, and to a great debut by Noah Shannon.

Since none of us know anything about the situation, I really don't think we should be speculating about his grades or impugning his character or decision-making. Best of luck to him and to the Hawks.

Could you elaborate on this a little bit? I'm curious what side of the Coker issue may be in play here. Does the University want to shut him down because of the way he entered the program?

I really don't know on that, but that is the rumor. It makes some sense as the coaches and even Kirk have said postitive things about Nixon, and have said they anticipate him being back with the team in Jan. That indicates to me that it isn't grades, and it isn't on the football side of things here. I don't think we will really know what is happening for sure, kind of like what for sure happened with Coker.

A lot of my irrational hopes for the 2019 season were pinned to Nixon being an immediate disruptive force. Oh well. Here's to an awesome senior season by Lattimore, I think he could potentially be that Jaleel Johnson type in the middle, and to a great debut by Noah Shannon.

Since none of us know anything about the situation, I really don't think we should be speculating about his grades or impugning his character or decision-making. Best of luck to him and to the Hawks.

Lattimore has yet to show flashes of Jaleel Johnson-type play. I'd be surprised if it all came together his senior year, but here's to hoping. I really had high-hopes for Linderbaum, but he's gone now due to poor recruiting on the O-line. Regardless, the early departures of Fant, Hockenson, Hooker, and Nelson snuffed out any high hopes I had for the '19 season.

Lattimore has yet to show flashes of Jaleel Johnson-type play. I'd be surprised if it all came together his senior year, but here's to hoping. I really had high-hopes for Linderbaum, but he's gone now due to poor recruiting on the O-line. Regardless, the early departures of Fant, Hockenson, Hooker, and Nelson snuffed out any high hopes I had for the '19 season.

Iowa has a pretty solid history of DT making improvements throughout their careers and peaking as seniors. Whether we focus last year (M. Nelson), or recent history (Johnson, Ekakitie, Davis, etc.), all of these guys had far and away their best seasons as a senior.

To take the Jaleel Johnson example, he did not start until his 4th year on campus (earned honorable mention All-B1G). Lattimore will be entering his 4th year on campus next year. Johnson was 1st team all-B1G as a RS Sr (Lattimore will not have that luxury as he played as a Tr Fr). I think Lattimore has flashed, he just needs consistency.

It’s sad, because with all these departures, 2019 really looks like a 7-5 rebuilding year. Which is a shame, because 8-4 should be rebuilding

Latest posts