NIT BRACKETOLOGY

Sad... we've now become a program that is looking at NIT bracket projections ... this is just like we're back in the Lickleiter years. Derp Derp Da Derp derp -

sorry, just getting out a head of that.
This year, just fine for NIT. If we are still there in two years, there is a problem but I really don't expect that. Lickliter would have popped wood if he could have made the NIT... That was (redacted) territory.. Go Hawks! Everything will be just fine.

That means extra time to practice for our young guys and that is great news. I would like them to get some tournament experience no matter which one it's in.

Ya because going to the NIT final, 4 years ago was so bad for the program. We shouted 2nd tier all the way to 3 straight NCAA tournaments. I say let's do that again.

In the past...long ago when it meant something I would agree. Iowa got there because they had some good players who matured. The first NCAA team in my opinion wasn't legit. The 2nd 2 were.

Some of the worst games ever are in the NIT. Years ago, Big NIT teams were also contenders for deep runs in the NCAA. Several Big teams used it as a springboard for the Dance title game. I don't think it has much bearing anymore. It's like when they used to play the consolation game in the Dance. Iowa/Purdue game was a sad that put a damper on it.

A NIT championship is a steppi ng stone to greater things.
I would love to win the B1G championship. But I will take the NIT this year.

For the type of group this is I'm ok with the NIT. Next year and most any other year no... The circumstances that went into having this young group is what it is and to put NCAA expectations on them this year would have been asking a lot. Even in a down year for BIG. It is pretty bad though that in a year where Northwestern is going to get in for the first time ever we won't...

If Iowa gets on a roll, I'd like to think they still could get into the NCAA tournament. If they do go to the NIT, I wonder what the odds of them playing Iowa State again.

The only way we make it is if we win the Big Ten Tournament

So, if Iowa won out - and finished the season with 21 W's they'd be out ... or... let's say they go 6-2 the rest of the way and get to 19 and get to the Big Ten finals but lose and end with 21 W's.. Iowa is out? I'm not saying either will happen, I would certainly bet against it happening, but winning the B1G tournament is NOT the only way to dance with 8 games left.

So, if Iowa won out - and finished the season with 21 W's they'd be out ... or... let's say they go 6-2 the rest of the way and get to 19 and get to the Big Ten finals but lose and end with 21 W's.. Iowa is out? I'm not saying either will happen, I would certainly bet against it happening, but winning the B1G tournament is NOT the only way to dance with 8 games left.

Our RPI is really bad right now

The extra games if in the NIT would be good experience for these young players. I see no negatives to it.

The extra games if in the NIT would be good experience for these young players. I see no negatives to it.
I agree that making the NIT has no negatives. We all would like to see Iowa make the NCAA, but when one considers Iowa has started 4 freshman for the majority of the season, making the NIT will be an accomplishment earned only through hard work and improvement. Compare that to Iowa State who will make the NIT with having 5 senior starters. Now that has some negatives!

I'm curious how ISU is currently projected as an 8 seed (by Lunardi) when their resume doesn't look much better than ours. We both have 13 wins and we have 10 losses compared to their 8. We are 5-5 in conference and they are 5-4. They have yet to land a signature win. Our wins against them and Purdue are better than any win they have. Yet somehow our RPI is 110 and theirs is 50 (approximating those numbers). Are 2 more losses really that harmful?

I hate when people say they don't want to see Iowa play in the NIT or lower bowl games because it is "beneath us." We Aren't playing in the game and those who are playing only get a limited amount of games. So, if they get the chance to play more, and want to, let them.
These are games. Get off your high horse

Our RPI is really bad right now

yeah, RPI wouldn't be an issue if we go 8-0 or 6-2 down the stretch. It's not happening, so it's a moot point, but to say the only way Iowa dances is winning the tourney is still factually wrong.

Latest posts