NIT BRACKETOLOGY

So, if Iowa won out - and finished the season with 21 W's they'd be out ... or... let's say they go 6-2 the rest of the way and get to 19 and get to the Big Ten finals but lose and end with 21 W's.. Iowa is out? I'm not saying either will happen, I would certainly bet against it happening, but winning the B1G tournament is NOT the only way to dance with 8 games left.
Don't forget, if a bunch of teams decline the NCAA invite, then we might be in!

I wonder if there's actually some guy out there who does CBI Bracketology? Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Not quite certain about CBI Bracketology, but I Do know who played in the CBI Championship game last season.....

NEVADA CAPTURES CBI CHAMPIONSHIP
In what may go down as the most exciting and intense CBI Championship Series ever, Nevada took Game 3 of the Championship Series with an 85-82 overtime win over Morehead State.

Exciting and Intense. Almost am sorry I missed it. Must have been watching something else.....

Or reading a Jack Reacher novel.....

:cool:

If we win out regular season we are in easy. Road wins at Minnesota, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Maryland would fix our RPI problem.

Perhaps unlikely :cool:

Out of those four teams, Minnesota might be the most difficult one to win. Wisconsin has had some very close games lately. We finally proved in the second half that we can play with Maryland, but at TerpCity it could be another story. And at MSU. Izzo carries a strong grudge and remembers the two defeats last season. Spanked the Spartans Severely. There will be Blood.....

If we hold home court which is Very possible and steal one on the road we will be in the NIT. Keep that scenario and win just a couple in the Big Tournament and we are approaching Bubble Territory.....

Purely Idle Speculation.....

:cool:

How are old you? the NIT used to be pretty hard to get into as was the NCAA Dance.
It was hard to get into decades ago. Since the 80's, not so much. The past couple of seasons they have upped the qualifications.

But if the NIT is "pretty hard" to get into, that would destroy your argument that it is "worthless".

It was hard to get into decades ago. Since the 80's, not so much. The past couple of seasons they have upped the qualifications.

But if the NIT is "pretty hard" to get into, that would destroy your argument that it is "worthless".
If I was Nebraska I might be excited.

So is 17 wins the consensus in terms of where Iowa needs to get to in order to make the NIT? At the start of the season I was thinking 16 wins would get them in.

So is 17 wins the consensus in terms of where Iowa needs to get to in order to make the NIT? At the start of the season I was thinking 16 wins would get them in.

I would guess we need 17 reg season PLUS a win or two in B1G Tournament. But even THAT might not get us in. So much depends on what happens to mid-majors/regular-season-winners-that-don't-win-their-conference-tourney teams. If EVERY non-P5 regular season winner also wins their conference tournament, it certainly helps us.

I would guess we need 17 reg season PLUS a win or two in B1G Tournament. But even THAT might not get us in. So much depends on what happens to mid-majors/regular-season-winners-that-don't-win-their-conference-tourney teams. If EVERY non-P5 regular season winner also wins their conference tournament, it certainly helps us.

Most years I would agree with this. This year not so much there are a bunch of P5 teams right on that NCAA/NIT bubble. It seems like every P5 conference has 2 or 3 teams like Iowa St. or Syracuse where you just don't have a clue. I still can't get a handle on how I feel about Michigan St.

I don't think they upped the qualifications too much, IIRC once the NCAA took it over they made it where you had to have a winning record I think. The biggest impact on the NIT was the regular season champs in these non power 5 conferences now automatically get bids into the NIT if they don't win their conference tournament. Before when the NIT was privately owned they could invite any team that they felt would make good TV ratings and sell tickets.

I think 5 wins (including BTT) and we're an NIT lock. With 4 wins all kinds of variables come into play IMO.

I think 7 wins (including BTT) and we're an NCAA lock. This is an observation not a prediction.

I think 5 wins (including BTT) and we're an NIT lock. With 4 wins all kinds of variables come into play IMO.

I think 7 wins (including BTT) and we're an NCAA lock. This is an observation not a prediction.

I could go along with this. What if Iowa goes 4-3 to finish (so 10-8 which would be awesome!), and wins to the semis in the BTT? Would that not be 20-14? Would that do it? Probably bubble. 7 wins like you have might just be a lock.

Most years I would agree with this. This year not so much there are a bunch of P5 teams right on that NCAA/NIT bubble. It seems like every P5 conference has 2 or 3 teams like Iowa St. or Syracuse where you just don't have a clue. I still can't get a handle on how I feel about Michigan St.

So, you're saying losing to Omaha doesn't help? :)

Latest posts